"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

This is very sad news, but I'm sure glad Bob doesn't have to deal with the pain any more. Condolences to Bob's family and his friends here on The Porch; I hope we can all not only grieve his death but also celebrate his life. I'm having a hard time writing what I want to say right now, so I'm just going to quote something I wrote in a thread in August 2016:
Not an entry, Bob, since I already won a GAW you had back when this fight started. I still carry that chestnut jigged bone CV Sodbuster Jr every day, and I still use it to remind me to pray daily for you (and for many other folks I know who've been dealt a hand that looks pretty rotten from my perspective). In fact, here's a pic I took today of that Sodbuster Jr while vacationing on Lake Huron in Michigan's U.P.
j2nQ8YW.jpg

Bob, you and I have talked briefly about Stuart Scott from ESPN and his famous speech about how beating cancer isn't a matter of WHETHER you live or die, but it's a matter of HOW you live. From that perspective, you're a BIG winner, and as I've said in the past, a huge inspiration to me in how you've faced the situation. Your courage, determination, kindness, thoughtfulness, and generosity have been (and I think will always be) a instructive example to me of how to face adversity with dignity and grace.

I'll continue praying for a miracle, but also offering prayers of thanksgiving for the strength and character you've exhibited!
- GT

Thanks for everything, Bob; you'll be missed!

- GT

I sent this knife to Bob just over a month ago.

It wasn't a trade or anything, I just wanted to give him a present. However, Bob was insistent on returning something-I didn't expect or seek it. He sent me a knife and some very nice items in return, which I've shown elsewhere.

He liked 15 and I'm glad I was able to do some very small thing for him. Mourn certainly for Bob, but remember too his family and closest loved ones, they are carrying the most crushing of burdens now and in the future. My father died 31 years ago and there has not been one day I haven't thought of him or missed him.

IMG_2294.jpg~original

I've got a random question, and maybe someone here can help me. Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at making homemade sour kraut. I've seen it done in the past where you grab the cabbage and run it back and forth on a vegetable slicer to get the cabbage cut up finely, before you start the rest of the process. I've got over 100 cabbages to do, so this is going to be the most time consuming part of the operation. But I had an idea. Since my family makes apple cider, I built an apple grinder a few years ago where a series of blades welded onto a piece of 6" well casing are rotating around inside a hopper, powered by a 1/3 hp electric motor. It will grind up a full bushel of apples in about 60 seconds. The blades pass 1/4 inch from the hopper sides, so no chunks bigger than 1/4 inch can get through it without being cut again.

Do you think my cider grinder would work for shredding cabbage? It sure would save a lot of time and elbow grease if it would work.

I am so sorry to hear this news. I followed through several pages to catch up. I knew it yesterday when I read the thread Bob's daughter posted. This entire last two weeks have passed with this unfolding terrible event and I have been "too busy, basically doing nothing important" to check in properly. I'm thinking, I need to adjust my priorities.
Fare Thee Well Bob.

Just wanted to say thank you so much to all of you who have contributed or plan on contributing to Bob's grandson Bo's college fund in Bobs honor. Lan, Bob's daughter texted us this morning and they can't believe how many folks have donated and are so grateful but even more so for the friends her Dad made here and the quality of those friends. I am sure that the the kindness shown their family from so many gives them a lot of joy seeing how much Bob was respected and loved on this forum.
It also causes me to puff out my chest with pride to be associated with such a wonderful group of people here because you folks are the absolutely the best bar none. So thank all of you again and God Bless you all. What an incredible place we call the Porch is and a special thank you to Spark for starting and maintaining this great forum.

Last edited:
Rest in Everlasting peace Bob. I will pray for that same peace for your family.

I am grateful for this life. I survived a heart attack on Nov 3 and after quad open heart surgery.....I am home tonight and doing well. Missed you all and thought about you frequently :) Life is amazing.

Let this not be about me, just wanted to tell my family ;)

Rest in Everlasting peace Bob. I will pray for that same peace for your family.

I am grateful for this life. I survived a heart attack on Nov 3 and after quad open heart surgery.....I am home tonight and doing well. Missed you all and thought about you frequently :) Life is amazing.

So glad to hear you're home and OK, Gev.

My thoughts will be with you during your recovery, my friend.

Thanks for thinking of us and checking in here. Rest up well. Life really does take on a special radiance after facing the alternative.

GEV!!!- I had no idea :eek:
Thank goodness You came out ok my friend.
You take Care ok my friend- we simply cannot afford to loose another great guy here. :thumbsup:

Glad you are home Gev!! A good sign.:thumbsup:
Hope you heal fast, and prosper. As Duncan says, we need you around here!!!

So glad you're ok Gev :eek: And that you're home. Hope you heal well my friend :) :thumbsup:

Gev I'm really sorry you had to go through that buddy but I sure am glad you came out on the other side. Take care of yourself and do the things the doctor says.

Gev, glad you are on the mend, my friend. You are in my prayers for a quick and complete recovery.

Back