"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It is GREAT to have you back Gevo . I was thinking about sending you an E-Mail because I had not seen you for a while . I for one am very grateful for the advances in the medical profession that you now can be back home in a weeks time .
Keep well my friend !!!!!

Harry

Thank you my friend! I'm glad to hear you were blessed as well ;)
Truly amazing isn't it ! I am up doing chi gong to keep the lungs, muscles and lymphatic system in motion. Found a good one. Standing like a Tree

Gev, I just don't pop into this thread that often and I see you were dealt quite a hand my friend...I am so THANKFUL for a positive outcome:thumbsup: Now as others have said...LISTEN to the advice given, go slow (for now) and in no time you'll return to the STUMP;)

GLAD your better buddy:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I feel blessed my friend! Thanks so much. I hope you are healing with ease and tranquility :):thumbsup:

Gevonovich, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your health problems but am more than happy to see you posting and in good spirits.
Your great attitude will certainly add to a speedy recovery. :)

I have tried that- somehow I do that quite naturally Gev my friend - standing like a tree- instead of a giant Redwood or Solid Oak- I’m a bit more like a Weeping Willow. :confused:

I see Paul as a sapling :D

It still hurts to laugh that hard :) A weeping willow is one of most favorite trees ! I've got a small sapling growing in back right now...I think we just had a Celestine moment ;)

Gevonovich, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your health problems but am more than happy to see you posting and in good spirits.
Your great attitude will certainly add to a speedy recovery. :)
It really is mental my friend. I caught it in time and recived the finest of care. I am truely grateful. I'm grateful for all of you too :):) I'm cleaning up an old swell center pearl Rodgers this morning ...life is amazing and I'm in it.

And I am glad you are in it Gev my friend, we need you in the game for quite some time.
I got my MRI Scan results back the other day- Oh Boy!...its gonna happen one day!...I have continuous scans yearly- well more than that because of Cancer that came and visited me, and also because of my Aorta arch that has Aneurysm that is measuring 5.1- years ago they told me that they would operate at 5.0 because it gets prety risky after that- now they are waiting for me to reach 5.5 lol.
Im sure its a budget thing :D
Theres no stenting this bad boy- they will need to remove the top part of my Aortic Arch and replace that- as well as replace my Aortic Heart Valve- as I have what you call a Bicuspid Aortic Heart Valve in a normal B.H.V - one has 3 perfect triangular wee flaps that open and close with what should be a perfect seal upon closing, me- Good Ol Duncan has a smiley face in his, only two flaps that dont seal all that well upon closing- a small example of this is a Heart Murmur.
So while they crank me open they will replace my Aortic Heart Valve at the same time.

I think I know the reason as to why they are delaying the Surgery - I can see the Surgeon holding the Scapel to my chest- and he then stops... backs away and weeps "I cannot cut such perfection" is what he is saying...... yep...Im sure thats the reason :D

So I am so glad you got wheeled out the right doors of the operation theater my friend- I am sure you would not have been too happy getting wheeled in thats for sure :eek:

I think I know the reason as to why they are delaying the Surgery - I can see the Surgeon holding the Scapel to my chest- and he then stops... backs away and weeps "I cannot cut such perfection" is what he is saying...... yep...Im sure thats the reason :D

They don't care about that at all Duncan I've been laid open 27 times and lets face facts if they were to not cut on perfection they definitely would never have cut on me.:D:D:D

I got my MRI Scan results back the other day- Oh Boy!...its gonna happen one day!...I have continuous scans yearly- well more than that because of Cancer that came and visited me, and also because of my Aorta arch that has Aneurysm that is measuring 5.1- years ago they told me that they would operate at 5.0 because it gets prety risky after that- now they are waiting for me to reach 5.5 lol.

My wife Ann had her aorta arch replaced a few months ago and she's 62 ( don't tell her I told you that) anyway she came through it with no problems at all.

Thank you Randy- and thank you for setting the record straight too- you are right! if they are going to cut you- then they will of course cut me....but I dont want to burst your bubble- they practiced on you Randy- before the go in on such a fine machine like myself- yes....this I think is what is happening!:D

27 times!!! sheeshhh!..anything left?

And I am glad you are in it Gev my friend, we need you in the game for quite some time.
Im sure its a budget thing :D
Theres no stenting this bad boy- they will need to remove the top part of my Aortic Arch and replace that- as well as replace my Aortic Heart Valve- as I have what you call a Bicuspid Aortic Heart Valve in a normal B.H.V - one has 3 perfect triangular wee flaps that open and close with what should be a perfect seal upon closing, me- Good Ol Duncan has a smiley face in his, only two flaps that dont seal all that well upon closing- a small example of this is a Heart Murmur.
So while they crank me open they will replace my Aortic Heart Valve at the same time.

So I am so glad you got wheeled out the right doors of the operation theater my friend- I am sure you would not have been too happy getting wheeled in thats for sure :eek:
It's an amazing room when your being wheeled in. You meet the team and they all smile. The room is cold but its a heated table with heated sheets. The anesthesiologist ( your bartender ) has already spoken to you and administers your milky juice. Your off in a warm feeling of bliss. The only real hard part is your were too busy watching the beautiful nurse shave you chest during the pre -op film to really pay attention fully. You remember the part where they won't remove the intubation until they are sure you fully awake. The nurse is asking you are you fully awake, you're trying to meditate to remain calm and she thinks your not awake yet. It's so hard to communicate with tubes down your throat and your hands tied down :eek: I finally just opened my eyes as wide as I could and shook my head...yes..yes..yes..

The level of technology and skill of these surgeons is unbelievable. Get in as best shape as you can. Learn to mediate and do breathing exercises. This really helped me big time. Get moving asap and keep moving.

We all love you my friend and you will do wonderfully. The universe sees you ;) As far as that beautiful chest...I had mine looking pretty too, but now and soon for you, being part of the Standing Tree Brotherhood ( the chest scar ) will be our everlasting connection. Now no posing the knife on your chest threads :eek::)

I was intuitively watching my body and knew in my mindfulness it was time to go. There are no definitive signs. Thankfully is was not as massive one as the first time ...I just knew. Know thyself and act when the time is right.

You, Randy ( good lord Randy) and every brother and sister here and everywhere are in my Tibetan Bon prayers

Out from the mountain I walked
A new day said the mountain
A new beginning said the rain
A new me said I

Last edited:
Gevonovich Gevonovich -

Oh, my goodness!

I can't tell you how much your contributions here mean to me, your intellectually and aesthetically provocative compositions and (upon reflection) the high bar your posts embody: a tone set, a look both inward and upward evoked in your photographed collisions and complements of the natural and the manufactured. A beckoning, in and amongst these traditional tools we keen to in our modern lives.

Thank you for the update, and for deciding to stay longer.
toast.gif~original

~ P.

Gevonovich Gevonovich -

Oh, my goodness!

I can't tell you how much your contributions here mean to me, your intellectually and aesthetically provocative compositions and (upon reflection) the high bar your posts embody: a tone set, a look both inward and upward evoked in your photographed collisions and complements of the natural and the manufactured. A beckoning, in and amongst these traditional tools we keen to in our modern lives.

Thank you for the update, and for deciding to stay longer.
toast.gif~original

~ P.
Bless you ~P You made my heart smile ;) I feel that same essence about you :) You are a true treasure

I always find myself reading you posts many times looking for insight into such a beautiful mind

Last edited:
I know im a bit late, but i just wanted to say that i really like her costume :thumbsup:

Thanks, Kevin! It was a bit warm out that day (upper 80's), so she it didn't last very long with the three shirts, jeans and a puffy vest. :D

Yesterday I found a surprise in the mailbox from the UK -- a gift package from Jack Black Jack Black ! He sent Ellie a Fairy Door made from Yorkshire coal by ex-miners, an excellent Great Western Railway bottle opener and wee little MOP Sheffield penknife for me, along with a postcard featuring "Snowy the Polar Bear" from the Weston Park Museum in Sheffield, a nice Christmas card, a Christmas ornament and a penny dated 1900.

ud0uW1o.jpg

Here's a closer look at the little penknife. Although small (it's about 2 3/8" closed), it has solid half stops and is very snappy!

PEYtnzD.jpg

rMvYJgD.jpg

Jack, thank you, my friend! You're too kind! :thumbsup:

Barrett that's a great gift to a great guy from a great guy. I love reading this stuff. Also I should have posted this at Halloween but Eleanor was cute as she could be in her Marty McFly costume she is absolutely a beautiful little girl must have taken after her Mom. :D:D:D Just kidding buddy.

Thanks, Kevin! It was a bit warm out that day (upper 80's), so she it didn't last very long with the three shirts, jeans and a puffy vest. :D

Yesterday I found a surprise in the mailbox from the UK -- a gift package from Jack Black Jack Black ! He sent Ellie a Fairy Door made from Yorkshire coal by ex-miners, an excellent Great Western Railway bottle opener and wee little MOP Sheffield penknife for me, along with a postcard featuring "Snowy the Polar Bear" from the Weston Park Museum in Sheffield, a nice Christmas card, a Christmas ornament and a penny dated 1900.

ud0uW1o.jpg

Here's a closer look at the little penknife. Although small (it's about 2 3/8" closed), it has solid half stops and is very snappy!

PEYtnzD.jpg

rMvYJgD.jpg

Jack, thank you, my friend! You're too kind! :thumbsup:

That was a great photo of Ellie Barrett, and a very imaginative costume :) I'm glad the wee package made it across the pond :thumbsup:

One of my own daughters is called Ellie, and as I was telling Barrett, when she was a bit young, she would drag me up to the local museum to see that stuffed polar bear virtually every day! :D

Back