"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I'm not sure about some of you other older fellas, but these days I sometimes get a bit of a very old tune stuck in my head. Drives me nuts until I can ID it and listen to it. This is the most recent one...

And yes, my memory does go back that far. My folks used to listen to this on our phonograph player in the 50's.

Had a chance to get on line tonight and wanted to say hello to everyone. Hang on to my seat here on the Porch I hope to be back in a few weeks and hope 2018 is a great year for all.
Hi, Randy!! :):thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I'm sure your seat on The Porch will still be here in a few weeks, as long as you still have a butt you can put into it! :rolleyes::p CYA out there in the legal world! :eek: I hope you can get back safe and sound soon! :thumbsup:

We're at 4 degrees F right now with a wind chill well below 0. We're expecting a heat wave though, tomorrow up to 17F, Monday in the 30s.
Woohoo!
Woohoo, indeed! ;) We finally made it into the 20s today. The local weather folks on TV have been all excited about the prospect of breaking the 1912 record of 14 consecutive days with no temperatures of 20 or higher, but I think yesterday was only Day 12. (Beats the "modern" (?) record of 10 days in 1989.) Some 40s in the forecast for later this week! :thumbsup:

Here's something I meant to share a week or so ago, but never got around to it. While back home in Northwest Arkansas over Christmas, we went to the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville. I've been there a few times before, but this time I noticed a painting (and, in particular, its title) that seemed fit to be shared here.

k0LvupG.jpg

lA74Dj5.jpg

If you're ever in NW Arkansas, I would definitely recommend Crystal Bridges. Even if you're not big into art, the building itself is pretty incredible, and with the exception of special exhibits, admission is free. ...

Sb81UyX.jpg
Looks very cool, Barrett. :cool::cool::thumbsup: I wonder what kind of camp those whittlers and yarn spinners were attending? What ever they're cooking in the pot seems like a mighty large portion for two guys! :rolleyes:

As I recall you named the cat. Remember, that means you do have a cat.
L leghog , does your policy apply to knives as well as cats? I'd hate to think that I don't truly have my knives since I haven't named most of them (and don't intend to)! :eek::(

- GT

Last edited:
Knives are inanimate objects. Cats aren't. Besides you are reversing what I actually said which doesny necesarrily hold true. If you name a cat, you have a cat. Just because you don't name a cat doesn't mean you don't have a cat (but it does make it easier to claim you don't have a cat).

I'm not sure about some of you other older fellas, but these days I sometimes get a bit of a very old tune stuck in my head. Drives me nuts until I can ID it and listen to it. This is the most recent one...

And yes, my memory does go back that far. My folks used to listen to this on our phonograph player in the 50's.

That sure beats the "FarmersOnly.com" jingle that has been stuck in my head for the last week o_O

Knives are inanimate objects. Cats aren't. Besides you are reversing what I actually said which doesny necesarrily hold true. If you name a cat, you have a cat. Just because you don't name a cat doesn't mean you don't have a cat (but it does make it easier to claim you don't have a cat).
Pretty embarrassing that I'm caught with this obvious logical fallacy!! :oops::rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs boiling off maple sap I'd guess Gary. He spent a lot of time in Maine.
Makes sense, Jerry; thanks! :thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks for reminding me to look up Strawberry Alarm Clock, Frank. I was wondering what they did besides Incense and Peppermints.

Had a chance to get on line tonight and wanted to say hello to everyone. Hang on to my seat here on the Porch I hope to be back in a few weeks and hope 2018 is a great year for all.

Randy -- good to see you posting.
hopefully life starts treating you better soon.

Looks very cool, Barrett. :cool::cool::thumbsup: I wonder what kind of camp those whittlers and yarn spinners were attending? What ever they're cooking in the pot seems like a mighty large portion for two guys! :rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs boiling off maple sap I'd guess Gary. He spent a lot of time in Maine.

I believe Jerry is right, GT. Here's an excerpt from an article about an exhibition of some of Eastman Johnson's "Maple Sugar" paintings:

Sugar season began, as it does today, with a late-winter break in frigid weather. The trees are "tapped" by chopping a slanted notch into the maple bark, driving a gouge into the tree beneath the notch, and inserting a wooden shingle or trough in the gouge. The clear sap drips from the trough into a bucket from which it is collected and heated until it becomes dark, sweet syrup. Throughout the 1860s and early 1870s, Johnson made approximately twenty-five paintings relating to maple sugar, using the sugaring-off festival to explore a wide range of New England characters. Fascinated by the subject, Johnson invested more time and effort into this epic project than any other in his career. Working in a specially constructed studio built on wheels, he spent every spring for five years recording the activities at the sugar camps in Fryeburg, Maine. This exhibition reunites sixteen paintings from the resulting series.

I believe Jerry is right, GT. Here's an excerpt from an article about an exhibition of some of Eastman Johnson's "Maple Sugar" paintings:

That's really interesting. My family has been making maple syrup every spring without fail for now 6 generations (that we are aware of), on the same family property, since the 1880's. I'm sure the generations before that did it also, as nearly every farm family did in those days, but I don't have any proof or evidence of it.

We have 20 cord of wood cut and stacked ready to burn through this year. I know it's the opposite of what most want, but my family is rooting for the weather to stay cold for another 5-6 weeks. Then in mid-late Feb we can go crazy collecting sap!

I have internet access tonight and just can't stay away from this place.
GT the only maple syrup I've ever had was the mass produced type sold in our local supermarket. I would love to try some real deal gathered an processed at home maple syrup as I'm a major fan of hotcakes. :D

Back