"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Great belated Christmas gift Jack. :thumbsup:

I only have access to the internet sporadically so a little late but sure hope all of you had a wonderful and memorial Christmas and New Year.

Thanks Randy, hope it was OK for you too, and that next year's will be even better :thumbsup:

I have internet access tonight and just can't stay away from this place.
GT the only maple syrup I've ever had was the mass produced type sold in our local supermarket. I would love to try some real deal gathered an processed at home maple syrup as I'm a major fan of hotcakes. :D

Great to see you back , Randy! I hope 2018 shows itself to be a promising year for you.

Got a late Xmas gift yesterday - chocolate knife! :D

What a cool gift! I can't say it is the most appetizing chocolate I've ever seen, but I must say the attention to detail is pretty superb!

It would be a project for me to get an extension cord to my birdbath.
I don't worry to much about water for them. There is a pond about a half mile away and a spring fed stream that feeds it. Of course at the temperatures we've been seeing lately the pond is likely frozen over. The stream might still be running. We also have a couple of feet of snow on the ground. I know they will eat snow when no water is available, although they expend additional energy thawing it.
We're at 4 degrees F right now with a wind chill well below 0. We're expecting a heat wave though, tomorrow up to 17F, Monday in the 30s.
Woohoo!

Move the birdbath to the patio, porch, etc. The birds will come to wherever the water is. If you move the birdbath close to the house, you can use a heater with a standard, short cord. Also think solar and go the 12-volt route. Get a small solar panel about 12" x 9" or with a small battery and you'd be good to go.

Just a couple of ideas.

I believe Jerry is right, GT. Here's an excerpt from an article about an exhibition of some of Eastman Johnson's "Maple Sugar" paintings:
Thanks for the interesting excerpt, Barrett. :thumbsup::cool:

That's really interesting. My family has been making maple syrup every spring without fail for now 6 generations (that we are aware of), on the same family property, since the 1880's.
Very cool, Rookie82!! :cool::thumbsup:

I have internet access tonight and just can't stay away from this place.
GT the only maple syrup I've ever had was the mass produced type sold in our local supermarket. I would love to try some real deal gathered an processed at home maple syrup as I'm a major fan of hotcakes. :D
Glad you could stop in, Randy, and thanks for your kind holiday wishes (in a different post); I hope you have 2018 that turns out to be superb, even if it doesn't begin that way! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like you need to start a maple syrup "conversation/PM" with Rookie82!! ;):D

Got a late Xmas gift yesterday - chocolate knife! :D

Jack, is the bottom knife ALL chocolate, or is it simply a chocolate-coated lockback?? :confused::rolleyes:

- GT

A couple of back yard visitors a minute ago.
Jn0XvOI.jpg

A couple of back yard visitors a minute ago.
Jn0XvOI.jpg

Cool pic Gary :) I get lots of squirrels, foxes, occasionally a hedgehog, but nothing that size - though we get deer about a quarter a mile away - pretty incredible considering I live about a mile from the centre of one of England's biggest cities! :D :thumbsup:

Will Power Will Power ,
Will, I haven't put out anything more then a salt lick. Which I keep year round.
They come and clean up the bird seed that falls on the ground. I've thought of putting out some bales of hay, but I don't have a ready source for it. There is an apple tree that keeps them busy in the fall.
In general I think the deer do OK around here as the population has really grown over the years, although I know the winters can be tough.

Will Power Will Power ,
Will, I haven't put out anything more then a salt lick. Which I keep year round.
They come and clean up the bird seed that falls on the ground. I've thought of putting out some bales of hay, but I don't have a ready source for it. There is an apple tree that keeps them busy in the fall.
In general I think the deer do OK around here as the population has really grown over the years, although I know the winters can be tough.
Awesome pic Gary! We have a couple of trough type feeders that we load up with bird seed and bagged corn that we pick up at the farm supply store. The birds, squirrels and especially the deer, love it. Deer really like the black oil sunflower seeds :thumbsup: It can get pricey but it's good entertainment for us and our cats LoL.

Screenshot_2018-01-12-00-03-48.png

- Kevin

Has anyone heard from Barry (@gunstockjack) lately? I hadn't been on The Porch since November, and I found myself wondering if he is OK?

Haven’t been around much lately but just wanted to check in. My mom had a bad fall on December 10th and passed away very unexpectedly due to complications on January 4th. I have missed the Porch and the comaraderie here, and am going to try to be more active.

Sorry about your mom, Tom S! Especially painful when you are expecting to spend some holiday time together. May she rest in Peace, and may you be peaceful with losing her.

Back