"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I learned about it from a friend of mine who is into culinary arts. It is a classic English meal, from what he told me. My wife has made it and I think it tastes great. The kids like it too.

Usually a way of using leftovers from Sunday lunch, and often served as part of a 'Full English Breakfast', particularly in London :thumbsup:

2016_11_04-alpino-chapel-market-london-n1.jpg

Can't pass up an opportunity to display knives and cast iron skillets of all sizes... largest is a 15" cooking diameter and the smallest is 3". The knives are Marbles Ideal, Marbles Woodcraft, Marbles Bird & Trout, Schrade-Walden 147, J Marttiini puukko and a George Schrade Boy Scout Mess kit with wire jack knife, wire jack fork and a little spoon :)

CASTIRON.JPG

The only interesting cast iron is the one on the left... it is a WagnerWare Sidney -O- and after a little Google search I discovered it is a 1922-1959 model :D

- Kevin

Can't pass up an opportunity to display knives and cast iron skillets of all sizes... largest is a 15" cooking diameter and the smallest is 3". The knives are Marbles Ideal, Marbles Woodcraft, Marbles Bird & Trout, Schrade-Walden 147, J Marttiini puukko and a George Schrade Boy Scout Mess kit with wire jack knife, wire jack fork and a little spoon :)

View attachment 864729

The only interesting cast iron is the one on the left... it is a WagnerWare Sidney -O- and after a little Google search I discovered it is a 1922-1959 model :D

- Kevin

Never thought a discussion on cast iron would catch my interest and be enjoyable to me but this one sure has. veitsi_poika veitsi_poika nice cast iron but your kitchen knives caught my attention. I am using a mix-match of knives right now but am strongly considering purchasing a knife block with actual kitchen knives in it. Problem is most are junk or priced crazy high. My dedicated kitchen knives are a Buck 119 that I use for things like quartering chickens or slicing ham, turkey and the like. 2 GEC H20's I use for basic table knives cutting everything from steak to veggies on the plate, a bottom of the line Mora that I use for boning and general duty and I have to say that Mora for a $8.00 knife it is incredible. Finally the Enzo necker is my go to knife I love this knife and use it several times a day.
I have been looking closely at a Boker 7 piece set made of 440 steel with full tang construction right at $100. Have any of you had any experience with these or do you have any recommendations.

6OuKRdH.jpg

I've always heard good thing about Russell Green River and Old Hickory kitchen knives, Randy. I'm not sure if they sell a set with a block, though.

Never thought a discussion on cast iron would catch my interest and be enjoyable to me but this one sure has. veitsi_poika veitsi_poika nice cast iron but your kitchen knives caught my attention. I am using a mix-match of knives right now but am strongly considering purchasing a knife block with actual kitchen knives in it. Problem is most are junk or priced crazy high. My dedicated kitchen knives are a Buck 119 that I use for things like quartering chickens or slicing ham, turkey and the like. 2 GEC H20's I use for basic table knives cutting everything from steak to veggies on the plate, a bottom of the line Mora that I use for boning and general duty and I have to say that Mora for a $8.00 knife it is incredible. Finally the Enzo necker is my go to knife I love this knife and use it several times a day.
I have been looking closely at a Boker 7 piece set made of 440 steel with full tang construction right at $100. Have any of you had any experience with these or do you have any recommendations.

6OuKRdH.jpg
I've never had a good block set of knives, just used various cheap kitchen knives picked up here and there, and I confess that even though I always keep my pocketknives sharp, I neglect my kitchen knives terribly. However, last year I picked up a vintage ForgeCraft knife at an "antique mall" It's about 7", full tang, and I read somewhere that they ran the steel a little bit harder than Old Hickorys. I use it for all my cooking and it's easy to keep working sharp. Cool and funky vintage to match my Wagner Ware pan. :cool::thumbsup:
Forgecraft.jpg

6OuKRdH.jpg
Your set of kitchen knives look fine to me Randy ;) We have a set of Henckel's kitchen knives with a block but they are CRAZY expensive... I didn't buy them, the wife did. Honestly if I were to buy a set I would get some Chicago Cutlery... at one point in time they were considered top of the line and now their price has come down to within the $100 range you mentioned. I spotted this set online for $70:

Capture.JPG

- Kevin

Sorry for the interruptions folks. Always amusing when a fella who did not bother to read any of the site rules starts posting away. Had the wrong membership level, too. All cleaned up. I might even get a chance to read some threads in here tonight. It could happen.

I have a block of knives, Sabatier French ones I bought in France. But there's Sabatier and there's Sabatier I learned;) These are OK. What I did do a couple of years ago was buy a couple of Japanese kitchen knives direct from Japan, a Santoku and a smaller knife. They cost a bit but you can tell they're lifetime and more items, they just sing through everything.

But that's it, I need no more. Not the same with the pocket-knife disease I'm afraid :D:eek:;)

Speaking of Old Hickory sets, the only one I've ever seen is on the right. (Sorry about the cfl basement picture.)
(Also a pop riveter and a leather puncher for my sheath projects (I had some of each already but can't find them), some other stuff from the pop-riveter-can, and a sheath for one of my naked Utica Sportsmans.) All from the same estate sale for ca $12.
x1KGMuL.jpg

I'm pretty eclectic with my kitchen knives. I have at least a full set of Gerbers up to 10" chef, a set of three Emerils (a trademark of Martha Stewart Living!), a couple of 6" Radas from the Knife Cave just before it closed, lots of carbon of various brands, but those are mostly in a box in the basement...

Back