"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Down here, if you want a cup of tea, you order "hot tea."
"Tea" means iced. :p
And down here, "tea" means "sweet tea" which means iced tea that had sugar added to it when it was still hot so that the sugar is dissolved into solution, and is sweeter than you can get iced tea to be by adding sugar to cold tea. So your options are:

"tea" = iced tea supersaturated with sugar, with sliced lemons on the rim or in it
"unsweet tea" = iced tea, same lemon garnish
"hot tea" = they bring you a pot of hot water, a cup, and a couple of Lipton tea bag, and look at you funny.

at least at the fancy joints I frequent. :D

Which indeed quenches thirst. :thumbsup:
Indeed. We drink a lot of it in the summer.
And down here, "tea" means "sweet tea" which means iced tea that had sugar added to it when it was still hot so that the sugar is dissolved into solution, and is sweeter than you can get iced tea to be by adding sugar to cold tea. So your options are:

"tea" = iced tea supersaturated with sugar, with sliced lemons on the rim or in it
"hot tea" = they bring you a pot of hot water, a cup, and a couple of Lipton tea bag, and look at you funny.

In Texas, they will ask "Sweet or unsweet?" but I don't remember presweetened tea even being offered until recently, since we got Waffle Houses in the area. I blame influences from Georgia. :p

Iced tea, in my personal opinion, is the best way to drink tea. :D And I agree with jc57 jc57 , the only proper way to make "sweet tea" is to add the sugar while the tea is hot. Boil half the water, steep twice the tea, stir in the sugar, and add that to half a pitcher of cold water. Easy enough.

I like coffee, but I don't drink it every day, which makes it tough to keep "fresh" coffee on hand. We bought a Nespresso a couple years back, and I've been pretty happy with that for the occasional espresso or cappuccino.

I was raised and lived most of my 57 year life "down here". Have always preferred unsweetened iced tea. Will not drink sweet tea.

I drank a couple pots of coffee per day for many years, it really started for me while working in the galley aboard ship in the Coast Guard. I just loved the stuff, till about five years back when I quit my 2-1/2 pack a day smoking habit. One day shortly after quitting I suddenly realized that I had lost my liking for the flavor of coffee, at least hot coffee. Now I am, as my wife calls me, a tea snob. I keep a half gallon of it in the fridge, and start my day with a couple cups of hot tea. Every once in a while I will grind a few beans and make a french press batch of coffee, but will only drink it once chilled, black, with just a touch of sugar.

I enjoy coffee to start my day and drink a half of a pot every morning. I'm an unsophisticated, Appalachian mountain area born and raised "hillbilly." As such I'm not very knowledgeable in the finer things of life such as the various types and origins of coffee and coffee makers available. I am however aware enough to never consciously eat or drink anything that has been extracted from animal excrement then prepared for human consumption. :eek::eek: I use one of the local supermarket chains named Ingles house brand coffee beans that you grind in their grinder for my coffee needs . To me it's very tasty and only $6.00 per lb. I make this coffee in a Mr. Coffee brand maker that I prepare every night so my morning coffee is a simple press of a button away. I also like non-dairy creamer and use the Dollar General store brand Clover Valley because of flavor and cost. The last and probably most important part of my morning ritual is the Star Wars themed mug I drink my concoction from. :D:D Not fancy nor special but very satisfying to me.

TLpIHlQ.jpg

WomEJQg.jpg

I enjoy coffee to start my day and drink a half of a pot every morning. I'm an unsophisticated, Appalachian mountain area born and raised "hillbilly." As such I'm not very knowledgeable in the finer things of life such as the various types and origins of coffee and coffee makers available. I am however aware enough to never consciously eat or drink anything that has been extracted from animal excrement then prepared for human consumption. :eek::eek: I use one of the local supermarket chains named Ingles house brand coffee beans that you grind in their grinder for my coffee needs . To me it's very tasty and only $6.00 per lb. I make this coffee in a Mr. Coffee brand maker that I prepare every night so my morning coffee is a simple press of a button away. I also like non-dairy creamer and use the Dollar General store brand Clover Valley because of flavor and cost. The last and probably most important part of my morning ritual is the Star Wars themed mug I drink my concoction from. :D:D Not fancy nor special but very satisfying to me.

TLpIHlQ.jpg

WomEJQg.jpg
Nice Rogue One mug!

TLpIHlQ.jpg

WomEJQg.jpg
Also when I saw Randy's coffee / Star Wars theme, I had to get everyone a picture of my morning routine in my work cubicle... my little Hamilton Beach BrewStation makes me two delicious cups of Cameron's coffee and my Han Solo mini-fridge keeps my Diet Pepsi & Diet Mt Dew as cold as carbonite :D Well not quite that cold ;) Also shown is my everyday carry for the last 2 years... my SAK Cadet :thumbsup:

Coffee.JPG

Coffee3.JPG

Coffee2.JPG

As long as movies are in play, your fridge reminded me of the end of the scene in Tombstone when Wyatt shoots Curly Bill:

"Did you ever see anything like that before?"

"Hell, I ain't never even heard of anything like that."

Same goes for me and the carbonite mini-fridge!

Last edited:
Also when I saw Randy's coffee / Star Wars theme, I had to get everyone a picture of my morning routine in my work cubicle... my little Hamilton Beach BrewStation makes me two delicious cups of Cameron's coffee and my Han Solo mini-fridge keeps my Diet Pepsi & Diet Mt Dew as cold as carbonite :D Well not quite that cold ;) Also shown is my everyday carry for the last 2 years... my SAK Cadet :thumbsup:

View attachment 902576

View attachment 902580

View attachment 902578

Whoa. I've never imagined it, but that is a doubly cool fridge.

View attachment 902576

View attachment 902580

View attachment 902578
That is fantastic!
Han solo 2.jpg

As long as movies are in play, your fridge reminded me of the end of the scene in Tombstone when Wyatt shoots Curly Bill:

"Did you ever see anything like that before?"

"Hell, I ain't never even heard of anything like that."

Same goes for me and the carbonite mini-fridge!
It actually has a setting for keeping things WARM too :eek::D

I have all of the Schrade Walden made "Miracle Whip" knives and one that is hand engraved by John G Kraft himself... I'm not sure the story behind it but I found it on the auction site for $5.00 :D The seller had no idea who John Kraft was and didn't realize that Miracle Whip was using that style of knife for their "Anniversary" knives. Eventually I will post pics of all of them on the Old Knives thread :thumbsup:

Back