"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I have all of the Schrade Walden made "Miracle Whip" knives and one that is hand engraved by John G Kraft himself... I'm not sure the story behind it but I found it on the auction site for $5.00 :D The seller had no idea who John Kraft was and didn't realize that Miracle Whip was using that style of knife for their "Anniversary" knives. Eventually I will post pics of all of them on the Old Knives thread :thumbsup:
Very cool! Betcha never found one in a jar! :D:p
Miracle Whip 4 circles & arrows.jpg Miracle Whip 13.jpg

I seem to have contracted yet another hobby having to do with antiques. A friend from work was cleaning out her basement, and wanted to get rid of her husband's old bicycle. She knew that I often bike commute to work, and offered the bike to me. After a bit of hair pulling from dealing with odd French sizing issues, a bunch of labor, and a couple hundred dollars in parts, I now have a restored and marvelously functional 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile touring bicycle. It's really quite amazing to ride, in comparison to modern day bicycles. I've already put over 100 miles on it so far this week.

bNOlMp3h.jpg

I seem to have contracted yet another hobby having to do with antiques. A friend from work was cleaning out her basement, and wanted to get rid of her husband's old bicycle. She knew that I often bike commute to work, and offered the bike to me. After a bit of hair pulling from dealing with odd French sizing issues, a bunch of labor, and a couple hundred dollars in parts, I now have a restored and marvelously functional 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile touring bicycle. It's really quite amazing to ride, in comparison to modern day bicycles. I've already put over 100 miles on it so far this week.

bNOlMp3h.jpg
Looking good! Steel construction? How heavy is it?

bNOlMp3h.jpg
Looks sweet! I rode a lot when I was younger, haven't had a bike in years...till yesterday. I was driving around checking out some places, one of which was a bicycle shop, turns out it's only a repair shop. Got to talking with the owner and told him I was just looking for something to ride around the neighborhood and maybe on some trails in the local parks. He told me he had a Trek from the 90's that he had just renovated and offered it to me at a price, I gave a deposit and am waiting on a call because the saddle for it was supposed to come in today. Not really sure what model or anything, this is a totally new type of bike for me, I always had road bikes before, Fuji Cycles, my last one is up north as my youngest brother took possession of it from my dads shed lol. This weekend we are going shopping for one for my wife. Can't wait to start pedaling again and getting back into shape, I grow too soon old and too late smart...

@Buzzbait : It was made by an obscure craftsman in St Quentin (still better than a jail...) in the North, working by the light of a 40w bulb, every 5 minutes re-lighting his corn-paper wrapped cigarette when he does not moan... :p
Now, under the name MBK it belongs to the Japanese Yamaha, still building motor scooters and off-board marine engines. This is the new factory under construction.
2017_MBK_industrie_002.jpg

The plant in Pantin , a north-eastern parisian suburb, where the ubiquitous Mobylette was built, in French you don't say moped or the like, you just say mob or bleue (blue), everybody will know. My father drove the same SIMCA Elysée ( first from right).
Tobec_PANTIN.jpg
There's no book on pushbikes, just motorcycles. Btw, in 1976, I was riding a Peugeot semi-racer (my parents lived in the Alps).
IMAG0723.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Steel construction? How heavy is it?

Reynolds 531 steel frame. Most of the components are alloy, including the wheels. Suntour Cyclone GT derailleurs and Suntour power shifters (friction on the downtube).

It's a heavy one at 24 pounds. But a lot of that weight is in the big 27" wheels and 1 1/4" wide tires. I'm considering doing a 650B conversion on the wheels, but would need to first source out some Weinmann 750 long reach brakes.

Never had a Motobecane, but I rode a Peugeot throughout my college years. The 1966 technology was about the same as your 1976. These days, I ride English 3-speeds, heavy and slow, like me.
:thumbsup: Same for me. Since 76 I ride an English bike. That is, when she does not seize with a leaking head...
IMG_0001.JPG

Will it's not a Rekord, it is an Ariane or Versailles (4 cyl Simca or flathead V8 because it was owned by Ford before being bought by Simca). same for the far left. I can't see between.

bNOlMp3h.jpg

What a heroic stance

Something about the sideways turned torso with arms akimbo and stern visage makes me think of this popular image, albeit mirrored and exaggerated. :D

1318369988001.jpg

Will it's not a Rekord, it is an Ariane or Versailles (4 cyl Simca or flathead V8 because it was owned by Ford before being bought by Simca). same for the far left. I can't see between.

Thanks JP, you must be correct.Some of those big Simcas were very flashy and Transatlantic looking, and Opel is the only marque of car that has never tempted me with any of their offerings:eek::D

On blowing up the pic, that car in the middle MIGHT just be an R4 that I was talking about, but we all see what we want to see sometimes:D Talking of which, why am I thinking of Panhards, Facel-Vega, Jaguar Mark VIII?:cool:

And I was out on my bike yesterday as it was a beautiful warm 21c day, more today. My bikes are nothing much just run of the mill, but each year they seem a little slower...they have to carry more as time passes you see...:eek::thumbsdown:

Going up the dirt track yesterday evening I get a shock as I find the Cat confronting a 40cm or so Adder (viper) the heat has drawn them out all sleepy and hungry,thin too. She'd got it behind the head and I think she had run with it outside a small wood across a ditch, wounded the snake seemed unable to escape and thus dangerous. Damn cat kept at it and I had to 'remove' the poor thing. Not a fan of snakes but the cat finds them tasty-a very dangerous dining habit!

Thanks JP, you must be correct.Some of those big Simcas were very flashy and Transatlantic looking, and Opel is the only marque of car that has never tempted me with any of their offerings:eek::D

On blowing up the pic, that car in the middle MIGHT just be an R4 that I was talking about, but we all see what we want to see sometimes:D Talking of which, why am I thinking of Panhards, Facel-Vega, Jaguar Mark VIII?:cool:

The picture is pre-60, the R4L came late 61. It may be another Renault utilitarian, Juvaquatre, a pre-war design.

Before the second ww Ford had an agreement with Mathis to build Matfords in his Strasbourg plant and built a new factory near Paris. After the war, Ford sold the assets to Simca, mainly the Vedette 1955 and her V8, followed by the Ariane 4 / Versailles series, from the most popular to the luxurious, including a 15cm longer presidential limited edition by Chapron, the Présidence, with one drophead with spare wheel on the boot à la Lincoln Continental, the Présidentielle. The series had names derivating of Versailles and dependancies, Marly, Trianon, Beaulieu, or another royal castle Chambord). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simca_Vedette
07.05.1971._Voyage_de_G._Pompidou_%C3%A0_Toulouse._%281971%29_-_53Fi3534.jpg

The Présidentielle remained in use long after the production was stopped. Here transporting Pres Pompidou she must feel very alone heading a Cohort of DSs. The same bodymaker, Chapron had prepared a special DS for Big Charlie, who was not pleased to ride in an American-born car (for the same reason he refused to order a special Facel-Vega because it was powered by the mighty Chrysler 5,4l / 6,2l V8 engine :confused:)

And I was out on my bike yesterday as it was a beautiful warm 21c day, more today. My bikes are nothing much just run of the mill, but each year they seem a little slower...they have to carry more as time passes you see...:eek::thumbsdown:

Going up the dirt track yesterday evening I get a shock as I find the Cat confronting a 40cm or so Adder (viper) the heat has drawn them out all sleepy and hungry,thin too. She'd got it behind the head and I think she had run with it outside a small wood across a ditch, wounded the snake seemed unable to escape and thus dangerous. Damn cat kept at it and I had to 'remove' the poor thing. Not a fan of snakes but the cat finds them tasty-a very dangerous dining habit!
Call her Riki-Tiki-Tavi! :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
Back