"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Word on the street is: Forum-linked PhotoBucket photos are working again. I never used the service, so I can't say for sure.

Can anyone with a PB account check some of their old photos in threads to see if they are showing again?

PhotoBucket photos are working again
Mine won't. I downloaded all my images and deleted them and the account from Photobucket, so any and all links of mine are perma-broken.

Now I only re-post the occasional one as needed directly on this site, and a few on Imgur.

This image is an older one on Photobucket. At this time I'm paying no fees. Definitely looks like something changed.
20161030_110050.jpg

Thanks, Gary! I did some Googling and found this:

"Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

Today, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting."

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/...arefreed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Thanks, Gary! I did some Googling and found this:

"Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

Today, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting."

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/...arefreed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

That explains it, Shawn. Thanks for posting. 20 bucks a year is not out of line in my opinion. The previous management team must have gotten the boot.

This is great news for a lot of folks with active images on their site. I was one who took matters to the extreme, at the time I had no PC and no way to store my images, so I deleted every single one, and contacted PB telling them I would not pay the extortion they were trying to charge, and closed my account. Maybe enough other folks did the same.

This is great news for a lot of folks with active images on their site. I was one who took matters to the extreme, at the time I had no PC and no way to store my images, so I deleted every single one, and contacted PB telling them I would not pay the extortion they were trying to charge, and closed my account. Maybe enough other folks did the same.
I'll bet their traffic dropped so drastically it looked like a ghost town.

I thought about deleting my account but never got around to it. Looks like my procrastination might pay off.

The new pricing plan doesn't look like it's implemented yet. Nevermind! I found it.

I just hope folks go back and download old images so they won't be lost. There's a treasure trove of information on this site that I thought was lost for good when all of this started.

I'll bet their traffic dropped so drastically it looked like a ghost town.

I thought about deleting my account but never got around to it. Looks like my procrastination might pay off.

The new pricing plan doesn't look like it's implemented yet. Nevermind! I found it.
My thoughts were that PB was going to go down hard, and be remembered as one of those epic failures from poor decisions by management of a business. To me and many others it was like a friend had betrayed us and destroyed loads of content that we shared on different boards like this one. I have seen intensive educational threads be reduced to a pile of rubble plastered with billboards saying image no longer available due to third party hosting.

So to do future 3rd party linking, one has to pay, but past links will be supported? That seems fair.

I have my photos backed up, but it was upsetting to see photos disappear from old threads. Especially from members who are no longer with us. :(

That's good that the old images are showing up again (hopefully it stays that way for past images). I didn't delete the photos I had on there or close my account, but I did move over to Imgur for hosting, and even if they went back to free hosting, I wouldn't go back to Photobucket now. The "new management" and more reasonable price approach is interesting, but I doubt it'll do much to repair the bridges they burnt with their $400 ransom stunt. :D

I have mine on my hard drive, but moved to Flickr for a 3rd party host.

Last edited:
That's great news about Photobucket. I could download pics and re-post but it was a hassle. I did get a pop up survey about a month ago and I told them just how painful it was to use their site. I guess I can stop re-posting pics now. Glad to hear we got a lot of our institutional history back.

Good news yes but I still feel sceptical about them. The site is cumbersome in some ways and this pricing model could soon change, why pay when there are still free options?

I've used fototime for nearly 20 years. $23 per yer. Have never come close to running out of space and never unavailable in all that time.

Before PB went to their $400 scalping plan I had signed up for a $10/yr account in order to get rid of the ads. I kept paying $10 per year and my images remained there. But I have been using Imgur for posting. Have to see what my $10 PB account allows now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Before PB went to their $400 scalping plan I had signed up for a $10/yr account in order to get rid of the ads. I kept paying $10 per year and my images remained there. But I have been using Imgur for posting. Have to see what my $10 PB account allows now. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm in the same boat Frank, my PB images stayed in place, but I've got out of the habit of using PB anyway. I find the BF upload works fine, and I have all my images stored on my hard drive :thumbsup:

Back