"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I saw a short documentary on an eating champion. He trained hard core—ran a lot to stay in shape and drank gallons of water to expand his stomach. He practiced his eating technique so he could swallow large pieces without chewing or choking. It’s like a circus act if you ask me.

I found a local antique mall with tons of old knives. I don't know enough about old knives to know if the prices were reasonable, so I didn't pull the trigger on any. But as I hang out on the porch and learn more about the "oldies" I may have to go back and shop instead of just look and drool on the glass.

I found a local antique mall with tons of old knives. I don't know enough about old knives to know if the prices were reasonable, so I didn't pull the trigger on any. But as I hang out on the porch and learn more about the "oldies" I may have to go back and shop instead of just look and drool on the glass.
That's very cool to be able to pick through old knives in a store. You can check out completed listings on eBay to get some idea of how much certain types and brands typically sell for, but when it comes down to it, buy what you like. :):thumbsup: And of course, hang out on "the porch" and read the Old Knives thread!

That sounds fantastic, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
One of MANY misconceptions I had when I decided 4.5 years ago to make pocket knives a hobby was that I'd be able to find LOTS of old traditional folders at garage sales, flea markets, etc. that I could make serviceable with a little TLC. I don't think I've purchased a single knife at a garage sale; finding a ready source of knives I could actually examine in hand is a dream of mine! :rolleyes:

- GT

That sounds fantastic, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
It was pretty cool. They had Winchesters, Ka-Bars, Queens, Schatts, Catts, Cases, and a bunch of others. It's a place where people can rent out spaces in a huge building and many of them had knife displays. I plan to go back when I have more time, I spent a couple of hours there and only got through about 1/4 of the stores. Tons of cool antiques to look at.

Last edited:
Well, we made it back from vacation last night and I've spent the day with two of my kids who have ear infections (and maybe a third in the works). I guess they got their fill of swimming, literally! Still, everyone had a great time, and it was good to see my side of the family, which doesn't happen as often. Here are some highlights:

gt269cQUR5uoMPeVgsBBRQ.jpg
Most mornings at least one of the kids was up before sunrise, and I took them down to the beach to watch the sun rise and see the wildlife. This photo was taken near the end of the trip, on a morning when all of us were up early. You'll see out friend the blue heron, who was out almost every morning.

CVTrk_Eb_BRQCk_Wy12_Hi4_M_A.jpg

Catching crabs was one of the favorite beach activities. This one was one of the bigger ones the boys snagged (it shed its smaller claw trying to escape).

IMG_4603.jpg

At the pool, my youngest son turned from a timid step-dweller to a full-blown leaper in just a short time. I was proud that he overcame his fear and learned how to enjoy swimming in the pool.

IMG_4604.jpg

The sunrises were particularly satisfying.

S9zfm_IXDRh_Guoh_Ib_ej_Ni_A.jpg

This one is among my favorite pictures from the mornings.

IMG_4629.jpg

This one is another favorite.

Yt++wdZGTfSLi9mwa22mKw.jpg
Yt_wd_ZGTf_SLi9mwa22m_Kw.jpg
When I got home, I found this knife I'd found in a great sale having arrived in the mail!

Trips to the doctor for ear infections and prescription meds means I'll be selling some stuff to recoup, but hopefully my friend will buy a gun I have to cover the costs. Apart from that unfortunate side-effect, I can't remember four weeks in a row that has been as grand as the last four.

If you can search Stevie Starr The Regurgitator....You will be amazed and impressed.

Yessss Go Lions.

Beautiful pics Jtb.
Next stop boogieboards.
Or as we call them ...shark sandwiches.
Bodyguards should always be accompanied by flippers.:thumbsup::confused::D

Well, we made it back from vacation last night and I've spent the day with two of my kids who have ear infections (and maybe a third in the works). I guess they got their fill of swimming, literally! Still, everyone had a great time, and it was good to see my side of the family, which doesn't happen as often. Here are some highlights:

View attachment 940844
Most mornings at least one of the kids was up before sunrise, and I took them down to the beach to watch the sun rise and see the wildlife. This photo was taken near the end of the trip, on a morning when all of us were up early. You'll see out friend the blue heron, who was out almost every morning.

CVTrk_Eb_BRQCk_Wy12_Hi4_M_A.jpg

Catching crabs was one of the favorite beach activities. This one was one of the bigger ones the boys snagged (it shed its smaller claw trying to escape).

IMG_4603.jpg

At the pool, my youngest son turned from a timid step-dweller to a full-blown leaper in just a short time. I was proud that he overcame his fear and learned how to enjoy swimming in the pool.

IMG_4604.jpg

The sunrises were particularly satisfying.

S9zfm_IXDRh_Guoh_Ib_ej_Ni_A.jpg

This one is among my favorite pictures from the mornings.

IMG_4629.jpg

This one is another favorite.

View attachment 940851
Yt_wd_ZGTf_SLi9mwa22m_Kw.jpg
When I got home, I found this knife I'd found in a great sale having arrived in the mail!

Trips to the doctor for ear infections and prescription meds means I'll be selling some stuff to recoup, but hopefully my friend will buy a gun I have to cover the costs. Apart from that unfortunate side-effect, I can't remember four weeks in a row that has been as grand as the last four.

Great pics Joshua, looks like a fantastic time :) Hope the kids are better soon :thumbsup:

Back