Carona Virus Recipes

No, this is not a thread for pangolin, bat or some other nasty animal. With all of us doing what we can with what we have I thought it appropriate to start a thread where we can all share simple ingredient recipes we all enjoy. NOLA NOLA Jeff, here is your opportunity to spread your blueberry cobbler goodness to the masses. My contribution is a chickpea curry over rice that I can eat for days.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1 whole Large Onion, Diced Fine
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 2-4 teaspoons Curry Powder to taste, Any Variety
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
  • 2 cans Chickpeas, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 can (13.5 Ounce) Coconut Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey, More To Taste :)
  • 1-4 Tablespoon Sriracha Or Hot Sauce (more To Taste)
  • Lime Wedges, For squeezing over the top at the end (optional)
  • Cilantro Leaves, again for garnish and flavor with plating
Preparation
Cook the basmati rice according to the package instructions, but before you cook put the rice in a colander and rinse. This will remove some of the starch from the rice.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes, until the onions are soft and starting to turn golden. Sprinkle in the curry powder and garlic and stir, cooking for another minute or so. Pour in the chicken stock and stir to scrape up all the brown bits in the pan. Add the coconut milk, honey and a squirt (big one) of sriracha. Bring to a boil, add the chickpeas, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2-4 hours. You can simmer this for a little as 30 min, but the longer it goes, the better it tastes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, honey, or Sriracha (or lime juice, if using.)

I hope everyone is doing as well as possible during this difficult time and please remember to stay safe and stay clean.

Cheers,

Justen

Do you want to make cobbler that looks like this?

IMG_1604.JPG

Here's the list of ingredients

2 cans pie filling
1 box Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix
1 stick of butter
cinnamon

a 6 qt dutch oven and charcoal.

Gather up your ingredients and it should look a lot like this (this is for a double batch, I added white chocolate chips and amaretto to this batch)
IMG_1963.JPG

Empty 2 cans pie filling and smooth out in bottom of dutch oven
Pour cake mix on top pie filling and gently smooth out - DO NOT MIX OR STIR (you'll end up with glue if you do)
Slice up butter and place on top
Liberally sprinkle cinnamon on top

IMG_1605.JPG

Put lid on dutch oven
Place 10 coals underneath, 15 on top
bake for 45 minutes. Don't open while cooking. I rotate the oven in the coals every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.

After the 45 minutes serve in a bowl with vanilla ice cream!

Don't be afraid to try different fillings or adding fresh seasonal fruit. If you add too much fresh fruit it can get a bit watery.

That chick pea curry over rice sounds delicious. And I've had Jeff's cobbler and I know its delicious! Since its Fiddleback Friday I'm having a couple friends over and we're going to make both of these tonight! I'll post up some pics to show off this great Fiddleback Feast along with some cool knives. Stay tuned!

You should try using lemon cake mix for the blueberry cobbler. Its awesome! And now it's my favorite. For now!

Heres one of my favorites-
Buffalo Turds!
And they taste way better than the name implies!
Take a jalapeno, half it length wise, and remove all the seeds. Take one half and fill the cavity with cream cheese. Place a little smokie or a cooked shrimp on the cream cheese. Then wrap it in a half strip of bacon. Use tooth picks to hold it together or place five on a skewer. Now you can grill it, fry it in a pan, or place it in a smoker. Fry or grill it until the bacon is cooked to your liking. It takes a lot longer in the smoker but it's worth the wait! Now enjoy these delicious Turds at camp or home. I think they're better at camp but I make them at home all the time too!
Ingredient list-
Jalepenos
Cream cheese(not cream cheese spread)
Little smokies or frozen pre cooked shrimp
Regular cut bacon
Toothpicks or skewers
Grill, frying pan, or smoker

Last edited:
Feel free to substitute ingredients as needed. Frankfurters, kielbasa and brats are other options. I developed it for a pub menu which is why brands and product specs were listed. It's great on rye bread too.

Knockwurst Sandwich

1 lb Ba-Tampe prepared sauerkraut
1/2 lb Donnely Irish back bacon, minced
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
50 turns Tellicherry black peppercorns
2 dried bay leaves
1 lb large Spanish onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Roma plum tomato, diced
3 lbs Boar’s Head Knockwurst
12 oz beer (IPA, lager, Pilsener, or wheat beer)
Swiss cheese, sliced thin
Dijon mustard
Taksin Turkish pide bread

Soak the sauerkraut in cold water overnight.

Place the next 6 ingredients in a large, cold, braising pot. Put on a low heat for 20 minutes to render the bacon and infuse the aromatics. Stir often to prevent sticking. Do not brown the bacon bits.

Drain the sauerkraut and stir it into the onion mixture. Add the sausages and beer. Cover and simmer for an hour or until the sausages split. Take off the heat and let cool.

To serve, lightly toast a split pide. Add a ladle of sauerkraut, a couple of slices of Swiss cheese, a sliced knockwurst and a smear of Dijon mustard.

Serve warm with pickles and cold beer.

Last edited:
No, this is not a thread for pangolin, bat or some other nasty animal. With all of us doing what we can with what we have I thought it appropriate to start a thread where we can all share simple ingredient recipes we all enjoy. NOLA NOLA Jeff, here is your opportunity to spread your blueberry cobbler goodness to the masses. My contribution is a chickpea curry over rice that I can eat for days.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
Preparation
Cook the basmati rice according to the package instructions, but before you cook put the rice in a colander and rinse. This will remove some of the starch from the rice.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes, until the onions are soft and starting to turn golden. Sprinkle in the curry powder and garlic and stir, cooking for another minute or so. Pour in the chicken stock and stir to scrape up all the brown bits in the pan. Add the coconut milk, honey and a squirt (big one) of sriracha. Bring to a boil, add the chickpeas, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2-4 hours. You can simmer this for a little as 30 min, but the longer it goes, the better it tastes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, honey, or Sriracha (or lime juice, if using.)

I hope everyone is doing as well as possible during this difficult time and please remember to stay safe and stay clean.

Cheers,

Justen

Made this twice now, and it's real good. Popular with everyone I cook for!

Making some fresh Italian gravy tomorrow for weekend feast. Recipe is as follows for 1 batch. Combination of recipes from the internet, Good Eats Chicken Parm show and a few other places.

28oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes. Get the real ones, the flavor is worth it.
1 Parmesan rind from a wedge of cheese
8 Garlic Cloves peeled
1 yellow onion peeled and cut in half with ends cut off
2 tb of butter or extra virgin olive oil

Cook for 4-5 hours and sometime during stir and break up Tomatoes, Garlic, and what's left of the onion with a fork or back of a spoon.
Take out what's left of Parm Rind and add fresh Basil, Oregano, thyme in 3 2 1 tbs ratio (1-2-1 for dried).
Best after a day in the fridge.

Use with:
Homemade Pasta (my 11 year old makes it)
Pizza Burgers or Pizza Steaks
Chicken or Veal Parmesan
Steak Pizzaiola
Whatever strikes your fancy

I'll ad some pictures in a day or two.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
Preparation

Cheers,

Justen

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now, finally got a chance.

Modified the recipe a pinch- added chicken breast, orange sweet peppers, cauliflower and sliced mushrooms, used noodles instead of rice
Turned out great!

967709A8-B626-49A3-93A5-B68B096F34C1.jpegFF93BCE9-16B8-4C88-8280-D9BEA001F3E6.jpegBAF19D92-20CD-4B2D-AED9-0EE7AB57AD77.jpeg

Back