Carothers and Guns

View attachment 973540 I think they have gone through different ownership over the years and their quality has come and gone some too, but I know this old beater 357 I've had kicking around for a while has worked pretty well for me

As a single action the trigger is pretty sweet. Double action not so great
Lol, I recall someone mentioning something similar about the Ruger GP100's DA trigger pull, in pretty hilarious fashion.

The GP100's super long DA trigger pull is like a built-in safety. It's like the gun is asking you, as you pull the trigger, "Are you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreBANG!"

P.S.
The plus side is that the GP100 is one tough, overbuilt cookie (folks use them to test hot handloads), and you can practice dryfiring them repeatedly. Use one with something like a Laserlyte PRE module, and when you can routinely dryfire quickly in DA repeatedly and put the laser dot on 3" targets at 7 yards, you'll have no problem with any other triggers.

Last edited:
Every time I hear the word Tommy Gun here it's from a radio ad for Kahr Arms which has it's head quarters nearby in NE PA -" Tommy Gun Warehouse " Never fired one though I once had a technician who went through France with one always on full auto in WWII.

The knife ? I could ever get used to the bend in the handle . Nice blade though !

I've scrapped the 1911 fascination as the CA's DOJ roster is not very expansive for 1911s we can treat ourselves to here in Cali. With that said, my sights are set on the P229 Enhanced Elite but in the .40 S&W caliber instead of its 9mm sibling, although practicing at the range with a 9mm is definitely going to be less burdensome to my wallet. But man, I hate flathead screws on pistol grips because if they don't align, they will give me fits. Plus, I tend to mar the darn things too:mad:

I acquired the FK with the blasted hardware. The unbuffed scales always look better with a coat of camellia oil. Thanks for the scales! :thumbsup::D

Sig 238 is the perfect weapon for me, in a reduced 1911 style frame. For home, easy to maneuver due to size, loaded with hollow pt/Glaser Safety slug/hollow pt/Glaser Safety slug - etc. Plenty of stopping power and all one needs to put someone down.

Practicing at the range using less expensive rounds costs much less - but I have never needed to practice.

Have had close to 100 1911A1's over time and still, of course, my favorite.

large.jpg

I still have my 1911 style Spanish Star Firestar from the early nineties. At the time it was the smallest production 9mm Parabellum, it won 1991 Handgun of the year from Guns and Ammo magazine. However, it’s all solid carbon steel and heavy as a brick. Pretty strong though, with reversed rails, and linkless bull barrel. I had it finished in electroless nickel, and added some Rosewood grip panels I picked up at a gun show.

AsyQnvm.jpg

Last edited:
Back