Carothers and Guns

Good info. Was looking at the holosun 512c over the last week but for 100 bucks more I can have the aimpoint pro. Hard choice since the holosun has so much going for it, but the aimpoint has the track record. Threw out eotech since I've never had great luck with them, personally.

Did get a "cheap" new light/laser combo for the vp9 this weekend. So far I like it for the size, but the 500 lumen is a step down from what I've been running. I'm sure I'll adjust and I prefer this profile.

lK7bLs2.jpg

HhpdRoe.jpg

PWS MK111 MK1 Mod2 M SBR on a lower that I built up. I love shooting 7.62x39 out of an AR this size! Velocity is still around 2,200 FPS from the 10.75 inch barrel and the x39 sure hits hard at that speed. This is my modern version of the Win 94 in 30-30. Short, light, handy, points well, and has very similar ballistics.

I put the (brown streak) FDE rail covers and FDE TROY BUIS along the top because that’s what it causes in the undies of those that don’t care to see firearms;)
All kidding aside, those were leftover parts from old builds that I was using as place holders until I picked up some newer stuff in black, but, I’ve grown fond of the brown streak.

I think it looks good next to the CPK MC and the Griffin Armament Recce 7 can.

Attachments

• 1B659A85-991C-4932-85E3-19B0538261D0.jpeg
    1B659A85-991C-4932-85E3-19B0538261D0.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
PWS MK111 MK1 Mod2 M SBR on a lower that I built up. I love shooting 7.62x39 out of an AR this size! Velocity is still around 2,200 FPS from the 10.75 inch barrel and the x39 sure hits hard at that speed. This is my modern version of the Win 94 in 30-30. Short, light, handy, points well, and has very similar ballistics.

I put the (brown streak) FDE rail covers and FDE TROY BUIS along the top because that’s what it causes in the undies of those that don’t care to see firearms;)
All kidding aside, those were leftover parts from old builds that I was using as place holders until I picked up some newer stuff in black, but, I’ve grown fond of the brown streak.

I think it looks good next to the CPK MC and the Griffin Armament Recce 7 can.

I love PWS, I have a MK118 mod 2 on my SBR build and I absolutely love the long stroke piston set up. I want a MK111 mod 2 pistol build but I'm still saving haha

I love PWS, I have a MK118 mod 2 on my SBR build and I absolutely love the long stroke piston set up. I want a MK111 mod 2 pistol build but I'm still saving haha
Im a total convert to PWS rifles/pistols.
I don’t mean that I thumb my nose at any other good brands or poo poo on the standard direct impingement guns, I mean that when it comes to spending money on an AR I buy PWS because they run flawlessly, the recoil impulse is superb, and I don’t get as much gas in my face when the can is on it as I do with a standard rifle.
I currently own 3 PWS guns.
my first was an original style MK107 Diablo pistol - 7 inch 223/556 for those that don’t understand PWS nomenclature.
My Second was a MK214 Mod2 which is their .308/7.62 with a 14.5 inch barrel.
My Third was a MK116 MK1 Mod2 M which is the latest update 16 inch barreled 223 wylde that has reduced material in the receivers to lighten it up, no forward assist, and ambi controls- it shoots like a dream.
I also have the one pictured above that is on a lower I built, so I guess I have 3.5 PWS AR’s. That one is the MK111 MK 1 Mod 2 in 7.62x39 and if I can get it to run 100% reliably it’ll be my favorite. Those damn tapered AK rounds just want to nose down in that AR magwell every now and then. I’ve Dremeled out a half circle on the right side of one of my mags and it seems to have solved it, a few hundred more rounds will tell. If it is fixed and will run open tip as well as it does hardball then it’ll be my sweetheart.

Im a total convert to PWS rifles/pistols.
I don’t mean that I thumb my nose at any other good brands or poo poo on the standard direct impingement guns, I mean that when it comes to spending money on an AR I buy PWS because they run flawlessly, the recoil impulse is superb, and I don’t get as much gas in my face when the can is on it as I do with a standard rifle.
I currently own 3 PWS guns.
my first was an original style MK107 Diablo pistol - 7 inch 223/556 for those that don’t understand PWS nomenclature.
My Second was a MK214 Mod2 which is their .308/7.62 with a 14.5 inch barrel.
My Third was a MK116 MK1 Mod2 M which is the latest update 16 inch barreled 223 wylde that has reduced material in the receivers to lighten it up, no forward assist, and ambi controls- it shoots like a dream.
I also have the one pictured above that is on a lower I built, so I guess I have 3.5 PWS AR’s. That one is the MK111 MK 1 Mod 2 in 7.62x39 and if I can get it to run 100% reliably it’ll be my favorite. Those damn tapered AK rounds just want to nose down in that AR magwell every now and then. I’ve Dremeled out a half circle on the right side of one of my mags and it seems to have solved it, a few hundred more rounds will tell. If it is fixed and will run open tip as well as it does hardball then it’ll be my sweetheart.

Ya I built out my lower then traded a PPQ 9mm for the PWS MK118 Mod 2 upper, best trade I ever made. Turned the old upper in to a 22" Grendel and I'm very happy with that build too, its a laser! I have a DI lightweight rig I built myself and I love it too but I always grab the MK118 more often than not. I'd love a full PWS build but once again it's all money. ironcially if I counted how much I have in both of my rifles it probably would have cheaper to just have bought a PWS haha.

Ya I built out my lower then traded a PPQ 9mm for the PWS MK118 Mod 2 upper, best trade I ever made. Turned the old upper in to a 22" Grendel and I'm very happy with that build too, its a laser! I have a DI lightweight rig I built myself and I love it too but I always grab the MK118 more often than not. I'd love a full PWS build but once again it's all money. ironcially if I counted how much I have in both of my rifles it probably would have cheaper to just have bought a PWS haha.
That seems to be how it was for me too. I truly enjoy building them but I like the long stroke piston rig a lot and nobody makes parts.
That’s a nice pic of the safe, very interesting perspective:)

Hmm, a gun and a rose? :p

Ui0wiLE.jpg

Tried out a couple of front sights including a gold bead one but I settled on this Dave Dawson fiberoptic front sight for the S&W SSR.

He ships his sights with a couple of new fiberoptic sticks anyway to swap out with what came with the front sight outta his workshop, but I will do that later on as the factory ones are not completely dim although somewhat dim already:

3pxGu6q.jpg

P.S. I know that I ought to focus on my FS first, but my camera doesn't ;)

I always hated fiber optics and especially on handguns and was a stickler for a good brass bead ... but in the last couple years my need for reading glasses has shown me the use for fiber optics on some guns.

I still prefer a brass bead on a rimfire but have learned to shoot with fiber optics. I am still a bit particular on the sights and don't like big front beads but the Dawson's aren't a bad choice IMHO.

The gold-bead ones (had stated 14 karat as opposed to brass) made by SDM fabricating which I had ordered in error (my front sight slot is cut to take dovetail / DX but in my haste, I had ordered the other rounded type which requires drilling) would've actually looked more classy on this SSR, but I after eyeballing the gold-bead, I didn't see much of an advantage over the factory red-ramp one for my waning eyesights.

When I dug and dug for more info on various forums, I found out that most S&W enthusiasts were fond of Dawson Industries front FO sights.

The gold-bead ones (had stated 14 karat as opposed to brass) made by SDM fabricating which I had ordered in error (my front sight slot is cut to take dovetail / DX but in my haste, I had ordered the other rounded type which requires drilling) would've actually looked more classy on this SSR, but I after eyeballing the gold-bead, I didn't see much of an advantage over the factory red-ramp one for my waning eyesights.

When I dug and dug for more info on various forums, I found out that most S&W enthusiasts were fond of Dawson Industries front FO sights.

I think you'll like the Dawnsons ... I could always shoot slightly better (more accurately) with brass/gold beads ... but now days my eyesight isn't as crisp so the error margin evens out and on handguns the fiber optics are a bit quicker for me to pick up.

Damn, maybe my niece was right telling me I'm getting old. If I start telling stories about walking to school in snowstorms ... uphill both ways ... I'll concede ...

I've been using Dawson Precision fiber optic sights on my competition pistols for over a decade and won't use anything else. Tritium on self defense pistols.

That is why I had TruDot tritium sights installed on my P-01 and also took the RAMI 2075 in for the same treatment to another CGW authorized gunsmith.

TBT, I also took in the P-01 to have a CGW race hammer installed in addition to going full blown CGW pro kit on the RAMI. On the P-01 I explained to this other gunsmith what the first gunsmith had done with my P-01 (almost everything in their pro kit but a CGW hammer) which he also looked at to which he assured me that the first guy had not done a bad job but this second guy was going to look everything over as I had also commissioned him to do full internal polishing and all that jazz just like CGW does them at their shop in West Monroe, LA. So to make a short story long :)eek:) I am sinking in even more money into these CZs and after all said an done, I could've just bought 2 top of the line Sigs! :rolleyes: But then again, what would be the fun in that? Oh yeah, I also would not have my guns back for 6-8 weeks :D

The SSR is just going to be a fun gun and also a SHTF for which I am sure that anywhere out here in the west, south of MT, WY and the northern parts of ID the .357 magnum can really handle anything (s well trained and good shooter required). I think that from a defensive kinda stance and as a nightstand type of revolver if I'm ever out in the boonies, I may put the green fiberoptic insert on it instead of the red one.

ETA: after all this tomfoolery, I reckon that I am at least short by 2 more guns, namely a long rifle of sorts (probably an M1A scout) and that 1911 which I've been lusting after but no worries, as my idiocy of spending akin to a drunken sailor will remedy all those shortfalls very soon.

Back