Carothers and Guns

My hunting rifle is an old Jarrett beanfield rifle. I don't know if it was skill on their part or just luck but I don't get an impact shift that I can discern from cold or warm but I have a problem with a clean bore. I have to foul my bore before I hunt which means I usually just leave my rifle dirty all season.
Lucky you, Jarrett makes some really nice rifles.

No excuses. My fault.

Beautiful!

Ok, I know we talked about the .50bmg shockwave thing.

So now I gotta ask you....

Do you think it’s possible to shoot a bull Moose in the antler and kill it on the spot? 0 visible blood.

A guy at work was out hunting...

Says he was walking casually down a gravel road and kicked a stone on the road in front of him. All of a sudden he heard a Moose grunt at him from the bush. He doesn’t know how to call a Moose in but he kinda copied the sound best he could. That went back and forth a couple times. A few seconds later a bull stuck his head out from the brush at the side of the road maybe 80 yards away facing him, all he could see was the face and antlers. He took a shoot and the Moose dropped on the spot.

When he got closer he couldn’t see any entry or exit wounds, no blood but the bull was dead. The only damage he could see was a broken point so he figures he shot the point off and the bull died of some kind of shock damage to the brain or maybe a heart attack.

He said that’s the second time he’s hit a Moose in the antler and killed it with his 7mm.

What say you?

Beautiful!

Ok, I know we talked about the .50bmg shockwave thing.

So now I gotta ask you....

Do you think it’s possible to shoot a bull Moose in the antler and kill it on the spot? 0 visible blood.

A guy at work was out hunting...

Says he was walking casually down a gravel road and kicked a stone on the road in front of him. All of a sudden he heard a Moose grunt at him from the bush. He doesn’t know how to call a Moose in but he kinda copied the sound best he could. That went back and forth a couple times. A few seconds later a bull stuck his head out from the brush at the side of the road maybe 80 yards away facing him, all he could see was the face and antlers. He took a shoot and the Moose dropped on the spot.

When he got closer he couldn’t see any entry or exit wounds, no blood but the bull was dead. The only damage he could see was a broken point so he figures he shot the point off and the bull died of some kind of shock damage to the brain or maybe a heart attack.

He said that’s the second time he’s hit a Moose in the antler and killed it with his 7mm.

What say you?
First I've ever heard that claim. If he can attempt an 80yd headshot with a 7mm on something the size of a moose and think he broke off the point of an antler instead, I'd be a little leery of any claims.

***BTW, what are the regs for hunting moose up there? Was hunting, doesn't know how to call a moose but shot at and killed one? Was he specifically hunting moose?

Last edited:
Years ago I was assisting a guide with some other hunters, and the guide bugled in a very large 6 x 6 elk bull. The hunter shot it with a .30-06 loaded with some very hot handloads a friend had made for him - all I know is that there was about a 2 foot fireball out of the end of the barrel when he shot. The elk was only about 60 yards away, and went down like a rock. But then a few seconds later, he got back up, and the hunter proceeded to empty his rifle at the elk, as it slowly walked off into the woods. We expected it to drop at any point, but it just kept going. When we went up to where the elk had been standing when shot, there was absolutely no blood, but we did find a piece of antler. So apparently the hunter hit the elk in one of his antlers with his fist shot, which stunned and dropped the elk, but it quickly recovered, and he apparently never hit it with any of his follow-up shots. But I have heard that moose are easier to kill than elk, so who knows?

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I took a bad shot at a small deer with my 7mm Rem mag and did not hit anything vital. Below the spine, behind the heart and lungs, probably hit it in the liver which would have killed it eventually but not instantly but that deer still dropped it where it stood. I was shooting a 139gr boat tail soft point moving north of 3100 fps and I believe the shock from these high velocity rounds can disrupt things if it hits near the spine. I could maybe see a high velocity round scrambling the brains if it hit an antler?

It would suck to stun one and start walking off with it and have it wake up on you...

First I've ever heard that claim. If he can attempt an 80yd headshot with a 7mm on something the size of a moose and think he broke off the point of an antler instead, I'd be a little leery of any claims.

***BTW, what are the regs for hunting moose up there? Was hunting, doesn't know how to call a moose but shot at and killed one? Was he specifically hunting moose?

He took the shot off hand while standing and has some “problems” with his Swarovski scope apparently. Said he’s going to warranty it after this season but I don’t know!

Up here for many game species you enter into a limited entry draw and you may win tags, sometimes for a specific time and area so you may be hunting in an area you aren’t familiar with or for an animal that wasn’t your first choice. But you do it anyways because it’s better than nothing.

The fires a couple years back have some areas totally void of game animals and other areas totally crowded. One guy here reported over 25 deer in less than 4 hours on the road to his usual spot while an older guy who goes every year and gets 2 deer quite reliably has seen 0. I have seen a few deer on my way to drop the kids at school, but up in the bush when I took them camping, we saw 0 in 3 days. I’d usually see 1-2 a day.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I took a bad shot at a small deer with my 7mm Rem mag and did not hit anything vital. Below the spine, behind the heart and lungs, probably hit it in the liver which would have killed it eventually but not instantly but that deer still dropped it where it stood. I was shooting a 139gr boat tail soft point moving north of 3100 fps and I believe the shock from these high velocity rounds can disrupt things if it hits near the spine. I could maybe see a high velocity round scrambling the brains if it hit an antler?

It would suck to stun one and start walking off with it and have it wake up on you...

Ever since this past year, I've been toying with the idea of a lever-action carbine. If some of you recall, I was looking at a Winchester 94 30-30 many moons ago. In retrospect, the back then price of $950 (was discounted at my local gun shop) seems like a great price these days! The current gun & ammo situation here in Cali is pretty putrid not stating the obvious! I think that if the economy starts to tank, there will be some opportunities to perhaps buy some good stuff at some discounted prices (not proud of stating this at some other folks' miseries, but unfortunately such are the facts!).

Anywho on a whim I recently went online and low'n'behold even places like Brownells been proverbially ransacked, like pathetic inventory levels. However I did find a Taylor's & Co's (Uberti?) pistol grip 1873 carbine chambered in .357 magnum for $1299 which will cost your Unc. Matty a cool $1500 once it is FFL'd across here! A bit too dear but it's such a purdy purdy rifle. Eric thinks that it's nuts as that goes in the AR realm which I agree but did I say that it's really really purdy? Haha!

I can still score an AR here but these are basically featureless stuff assembled together at some local smith's, 10-12" barrels, all kinda CA restrictions, everything which I hate and prevented me about getting a Cali AR. Apologies for the rambling but if any of you good folks know of a lever-action carbine for sale, please let me know as I'm dead serious. As for caliber, I will have to stick with the "weaker" .357 mag as opposed to the 44's and the 30-30's or even higher because I have the .357 ammo. At this stage, scoring the other ammos will be like pulling teeth!

TIA.

Order placed for my lever-action cowboy gun which was the last one in stock and a quick online search yielded me a good to use $50 off coupon at Brownells :)

So now the waiting begins (FFL / DROS / CA-DOJ BGC). I feel that this one will end up being an heirloom piece like the CPK-K18.

What is it? Marlin 1895 perhaps?

Taylor's & Co 1873 chambered in .357 magnum. It's basically a tuned up Uberti by this U.S company. Essentially, they take the Uberti and customize/tune it a bit more although Uberti S.p.A does not offer this model in a 20" barrel from factory (I think that Uberti offers a plainer 19" version). The longer barrel takes away from the carbine aspect and makes it a standard length so that is a bit of a negative but on the other hand, it was the last one in stock at a major well-know outlet (sellers are asking for more $ on GunBroker, some a lot more!) plus considering the times in which we are in vis a vis the shortages and the fact that a 20" barrel provides a lot more oomph out of a handgun cartridge of which I have a decent amount of, ended up as being important deciding factors for me and my wallet.

Taylor's & Co 1873 chambered in .357 magnum. It's basically a tuned up Uberti by this U.S company. Essentially, they take the Uberti and customize/tune it a bit more although Uberti S.p.A does not offer this model in a 20" barrel from factory (I think that Uberti offers a plainer 19" version). The longer barrel takes away from the carbine aspect and makes it a standard length so that is a bit of a negative but on the other hand, it was the last one in stock at a major well-know outlet (sellers are asking for more $ on GunBroker, some a lot more!) plus considering the times in which we are in vis a vis the shortages and the fact that a 20" barrel provides a lot more oomph out of a handgun cartridge of which I have a decent amount of, ended up as being important deciding factors for me and my wallet.
Congrats on the new lever-action.
One comment about barrel length for .357, if you look at for example ballistics by the inch, you will see diminishing returns after about 12" for most loads. Of course that is just velocity and doesn't mean that your configuration won't be great for balance and aiming etc.

Congrats on the new lever-action.
One comment about barrel length for .357, if you look at for example ballistics by the inch, you will see diminishing returns after about 12" for most loads. Of course that is just velocity and doesn't mean that your configuration won't be great for balance and aiming etc.

IIRC, Paul Harrell had done some extensive testing with handgun caliber ammo using .357 & .44 calibers in carbine size rifles. I will have to go back and find those videos on YT.

Back