Carothers and Guns

36367927951_ce11a632ab_z.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Clean looking Marlin you’ve got there!

Thanks! Found a few months ago. Friends dad bought it new, late '60's..took a few deer, small rub/ding here/there from tree stand. Less then 20rds through (.35 Rem)..90-95%.. got lucky. Friend knew I wanted a 336 in .35, set the met w/ the old man, ..gave me a smoking deal.

Last edited:
With freakishly freezing temps engulfing some parts of the country, I’ve been wondering and musing about some gun related questions which I’ll put to the experts in here:

Suppose that your region gets hit with a really nasty polar vortex when temps drop to really really ungodly cold numbers like minus 40! If so, are then the fancy semi-auto handguns and AR types unreliable? Isn’t it a good idea to own a wheel gun and a bolt action rifle or two under such scenarios? I do know that the more moving parts which need more lubrications run the chance of getting gunked up. Bows and arrows plus atlatls don’t sound that bad then in addition to our CPKs!

With freakishly freezing temps engulfing some parts of the country, I’ve been wondering and musing about some gun related questions which I’ll put to the experts in here:

Suppose that your region gets hit with a really nasty polar vortex when temps drop to really really ungodly cold numbers like minus 40! If so, are then the fancy semi-auto handguns and AR types unreliable? Isn’t it a good idea to own a wheel gun and a bolt action rifle or two under such scenarios? I do know that the more moving parts which need more lubrications run the chance of getting gunked up. Bows and arrows plus atlatls don’t sound that bad then in addition to our CPKs!
There are lubes made for those kinds of temperatures, but if you don't happen to have any, then just use Mobil 1 full synthetic. PAO (PolyAlphaOlefin) basestocks have a very low pourpoint.

With any lube that might freeze/gum up in cold temperatures, a bolt gun could potentially lock up too.

As for bows. I'm not sure I could trust a bow where it was cold enough that a firearm could malfunction. That's a lot of energy stored in the limbs that you're hoping can bend normally without snapping and having the broken bits come flying back at you as you're pulling the drawstring to full draw.

As for pistols; just keep them on your body where they'll stay warm.

Carry a USP. They were designed to fire at like - 42

Temperature testing required the USP be frozen to −42 °C and fired, frozen again, then be heated to 67 °C and fired. These temperature tests were continually repeated with no adverse effects on the USP.

Not to go too far off topic but Cherry Balmz makes a “grease” they claim will work at minus 65 in ARs and minus 55 in semiautomatic pistols. WinterBalmz
I’m in Sunny South Florida so I can’t vouch for their claims.
Yep. I've got most of the Cherry Balmz line and like their stuff (although we don't get temperatures cold enough to really test the limits of their Winter Balm).

Back