Carothers and Guns

With freakishly freezing temps engulfing some parts of the country, I’ve been wondering and musing about some gun related questions which I’ll put to the experts in here:

Suppose that your region gets hit with a really nasty polar vortex when temps drop to really really ungodly cold numbers like minus 40! If so, are then the fancy semi-auto handguns and AR types unreliable? Isn’t it a good idea to own a wheel gun and a bolt action rifle or two under such scenarios? I do know that the more moving parts which need more lubrications run the chance of getting gunked up. Bows and arrows plus atlatls don’t sound that bad then in addition to our CPKs!

it really depends on your firearm and also what you use to maintain it.
I have hunted with an M1A SOCOM 16 in sub zero temps and it has always been flawless, even when caked in snow and ice. I use Tetra gun grease on the op rod on that one and I couldn’t be happier with it.
On the other hand, I used the same grease while cleaning up my go to Glock 23 as well as on the bolt carrier of my PWS Diablo 7 inch barreled AR because it was easier to reach than the slip 2000 and CLP that I normally use. It was June and it seemed fine, fast forward to January and it was -12 overnight and an even zero degrees while we were shooting. Top that off with me leaving the guns locked up in the truck bed overnight because the cabin was full of kids and the guns had a seriou cold soak. It was the only time, in any condition, clean or filthy, that either gun had jammed. They both jammed up due to the grease hardening.
lesson learned, I pay more attention to which products get used on which guns and what weather I’ll be using them in.
Other than that specific incident I’ve never had an issue with a semi automatic rifle or handgun being unreliable due to the cold.
Since you have that new M1A you should be all set;)

With freakishly freezing temps engulfing some parts of the country, I’ve been wondering and musing about some gun related questions which I’ll put to the experts in here:

Suppose that your region gets hit with a really nasty polar vortex when temps drop to really really ungodly cold numbers like minus 40! If so, are then the fancy semi-auto handguns and AR types unreliable? Isn’t it a good idea to own a wheel gun and a bolt action rifle or two under such scenarios? I do know that the more moving parts which need more lubrications run the chance of getting gunked up. Bows and arrows plus atlatls don’t sound that bad then in addition to our CPKs!

As others have stated, some lubes hold up better than others in extreme cold. Optics are another consideration. Fogging on the inside on inexpensive scopes and exterior regardless of price. The erectors and other innards can also fail, and if electronic, batteries don't take to cold very well.
Many of these issues can be tested with a chest freezer. Seeing what works, what gums up, and what fails. I chose the colder route and moved to New England where we go in the field regardless of weather.
But, that means I have confidence in both my work carbine and my personally-owned twin. They have seen use down to -35F.
Pistol-wise, I would stay away from tight-fitting pistols that like to be run wet, e.g. CZ Shadow2 Orange, custom 1911's. Glocks, M&Ps, and Sig 320s seems to be fine and not get brittle. That said, my "get home" kit pistol a wheel gun (S&W 327 TRR8).

I've had this rifle for over a decade now but it doesn't show it.

cpk-obr.jpg

F626D6C7-3701-4966-9EE1-613E8296B78D.jpeg
My CPK’s are in a different safe so there’s none in the pic, I again blame Nathan for not making the folder yet, because then it would’ve been in my pocket ;)
That said, here’s the Delta I made out of some of the gear that I’m taking to the farm today so that my 13 yr old and his best buddy can do some shooting with me.
This is the first time a friend has joined him and I’m hopeful that it’ll get my boy more interested in doing this with me. Fingers crossed.

Looks like I’ll be getting a Tikka T3x Superlite chambered in .308 Win with a Vortex Razor 3-15x42 glass. Long story about this one which I’ll share once all the Eyes are dotted and all the Tees are crossed!

During this gun buying frenzy and ammo scarcity pandemonium, I guess that you gotta go with what makes the most sense and for me, it was my recent stash of hunting ammo in .308 Win.

I know that there are better all-around calibers out there and believe me that I have agonized and poured over other rifles chambered in 300 Win Mag, 270 Rem, 6.5 CM and the 7mm-08 which can all be arguably “better” but despite being able to score the rifles in 300WM and the 7mm-08 even in this present market, guess what? No fracking ammo! Zippo, none, nada! Then I remembered a line which I had read somewhere before, “when the SHTF, you can probably score some .308 rounds even at a local 7-11 in Pakistan”. This whimsical line then stuck with me!

Looks like I’ll be getting a Tikka T3x Superlite chambered in .308 Win with a Vortex Razor 3-15x42 glass. Long story about this one which I’ll share once all the Eyes are dotted and all the Tees are crossed!

During this gun buying frenzy and ammo scarcity pandemonium, I guess that you gotta go with what makes the most sense and for me, it was my recent stash of hunting ammo in .308 Win.

I know that there are better all-around calibers out there and believe me that I have agonized and poured over other rifles chambered in 300 Win Mag, 270 Rem, 6.5 CM and the 7mm-08 which can all be arguably “better” but despite being able to score the rifles in 300WM and the 7mm-08 even in this present market, guess what? No fracking ammo! Zippo, none, nada! Then I remembered a line which I had read somewhere before, “when the SHTF, you can probably score some .308 rounds even at a local 7-11 in Pakistan”. This whimsical line then stuck with me!
Yeah 308 is a real slouch nowadays:D

Ammo availability is definitely a crucial factor if you actually want to shoot your guns.

Can’t go wrong with the .308.

Excellent choice in firearm, as well. I have a few and they’re all top notch shooters and of terrific quality. :thumbsup:

Yup, polymer magazines are not exactly top shelf stuff but I also understand the reasoning behind their manufacturing. In fact, a composite stock was not exactly my cuppa tea either as I would've much preferred a nice wood stock like the ones on Winchester 70 featherweight or something from MidWay USA but considering the circumstances, if my private party seller doesn't back out I'll be stoked with this deal.

From my experience, the polymer mags have proven to be both reliable and robust.

That said, only one of mine has these, my other two have steel mags (CTR).

I was actually wondering if the steel CTR mags were reliably interchangeable and I was just about to do some online keyboard-foo on the subject :)

Gonna stretch the ARs legs out to 400 yards this weekend. Curious to see how they will group at that distance with ball ammo...
RdbImhi.jpg
In for results, though I haven't really seen 55gr/M193 group better than ~2MOA no matter what it was shot out of.

Technically, 77gr SMKs are still considered FMJ/ball, and some of the offerings are ~1MOA. Magtech 77gr used to be one of the cheapest options for decent groups... but that was in 'the before...' lol.

Still wrapping my head around seeing CCI Mini Mag .22LR going for 5.56 prices/rd from just 12 months ago.

In for results, though I haven't really seen 55gr/M193 group better than ~2MOA no matter what it was shot out of.

Technically, 77gr SMKs are still considered FMJ/ball, and some of the offerings are ~1MOA. Magtech 77gr used to be one of the cheapest options for decent groups... but that was in 'the before...' lol.

Still wrapping my head around seeing CCI Mini Mag .22LR going for 5.56 prices/rd from just 12 months ago.

I'm not expecting stellar results. I do have some heavier OTM rounds I'll shoot at that distance too. This is for play and for fun. If I really have to shoot that far, I'm going to grab a scoped bolt gun.

Back