Carothers and Guns

EDC Dump

W3hNE6B.jpg

KUmoFyA.jpg

Question for handgun, particularly the 1911 aficionados:

I've never owned one but going to get one and I have narrowed it down to the Sig Sauer 1911 Select (naturally in .45 ACP only). Don't forget that I live in CA where the gun roster according to our State's DOJ is much much thinner than most, specially those of you who happen to be Red Staters (no politics please!!!). This is going to be for home and range only (no CCW here) and I want to keep my first purchase of a 1911 at just a tad over $1K (W/O taxes) and I also don't want to accessorize, so if you have personally used this handgun and have something against it or are for it, I'd be very grateful for your opinion.

Oh, I also like the fact that it has a rail and the closest to this is a shorter barrel 1911 made by Springfield, but I'd honestly prefer a Sig.

A Sig 1911 is a fine choice! Be aware they do not have an actual JM Browning 1911 profile for the rail. A little more square shoulders, not rounded. You'll need a specific sheath, not just any 1911 sheath. They usually have a very nice trigger for the price, too.

Edit to say the *sheath* was tongue in cheek for holster, given this is a knife forum

Last edited:
Question for handgun, particularly the 1911 aficionados:

I've never owned one but going to get one and I have narrowed it down to the Sig Sauer 1911 Select (naturally in .45 ACP only). Don't forget that I live in CA where the gun roster according to our State's DOJ is much much thinner than most, specially those of you who happen to be Red Staters (no politics please!!!). This is going to be for home and range only (no CCW here) and I want to keep my first purchase of a 1911 at just a tad over $1K (W/O taxes) and I also don't want to accessorize, so if you have personally used this handgun and have something against it or are for it, I'd be very grateful for your opinion.

Oh, I also like the fact that it has a rail and the closest to this is a shorter barrel 1911 made by Springfield, but I'd honestly prefer a Sig.
Try shooting a 1911 platform first before you jump in headfirst.
If you do like the platform, I’d check out a Kimber. They’re my personal favorite because of their attention to detail.

If you do like the platform, I’d check out a Kimber. They’re my personal favorite because of their attention to detail.

But that's not how knuckle-heads do things :D

Yup, we have many more Kimber choices here in CA ranging 1250-1500+

I have an old Kimber and I like it fine but I've heard some of their more recent production is not as good as it once was.

But that's not how knuckle-heads do things :D

Yup, we have many more Kimber choices here in CA ranging 1250-1500+
Haha I figured you weren’t crazy enough to go out and buy one without shooting it first.
It’s a great platform obviously, but I’m still a sucker for a nice double stack 40cal Glock or Sig.

I have an old Kimber and I like it fine but I've heard some of their more recent production is not as good as it once was.
Well that’s not good to hear.
The last Kimber I shot had to be nearly 20 years old and it was damn near perfect.

I would luv to own the "Carothers" of 1911's if there are such justifiable parallels but I think that is the kinda wishful thinking that will lead to the custom route. In the meantime, I'll be vying for the "Spyderco" of 1911's :)

Haha I figured you weren’t crazy enough to go out and buy one without shooting it first.
It’s a great platform obviously, but I’m still a sucker for a nice double stack 40cal Glock or Sig.

Live a little kiddo! Obviously you don't know Unc. Matty too well after all this time :p :D

I was considering getting a Sig 1911 too, but I didn’t pull the trigger.:D Unfortunately the only 1911 that I have left is my old Springfield Armory 1911-A1 I bought and customized back in the eighties. It shoots great, but it’s too big and heavy to carry, and I don’t want to scratch up that beautiful bluing job. So I usually carry a Gen 2 G19 Glock. I think a 45 cal 1911 would be a great choice for home defense and range. Please keep us updated on your decision Mat. :thumbsup:

VQMx2hW.jpg

tPJwH3C.jpg

Back