1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Carothers? What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Zubaroo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Zubaroo

Zubaroo Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I see Carothers fixed blades go QUICK on the sale posts. What makes these knives so sought after?

Odog27 likes this.
  2. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Their attention to detail is second to none. From how they take and handle pre-orders to customer service, Carothers is the gold standard on how a small knife company should conduct themselves.

The knives use top shelf steels with an outstanding heat treat. The models that I own are well balanced. They cut effectively yet have a geometry that can stand up to abuse. Buy with confidence!

3. Zubaroo

Apr 6, 2019
    Thank you Sir..

Thus far, in my adventures, LT Wright, Bark River, Battle Horse have been my "Gold Standard" I want to dive into a Carothers, but don't like spending over $300 for a knife at this point in the hobby. Any recommendations on the best product per capita model to start?

JJ_Colt45 and Odog27 like this.
  4. longun

longun Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I will second the customer service. With the attention to detail, I doubt there are many returns. But any order I've made with them has been handled timely and professionally. Comfortable handles, with great steel and heat treat. And not mentioned much, the sheaths provided with them are also very well done. My first Carothers was an original EDC. Since the first one I've been hooked on their knives in various sizes.

Odog27 and Zubaroo like this.
  5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    All the information is in the various sales threads and opinions of them by users are all over the place.
    This. Imo they are the best thing going right now, especially for those who actually use their knives.

6. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    593BE796-62C8-44FC-ADAE-E7CD58B067A0.jpeg 3ABDC9F4-36F8-4473-8AF5-31B5960DA83C.jpeg
    These are two my favorite knives by Carothers. The HDFK (bottom pic) is one I’d never part with. It’s a true one tool option. Their sub forum here is filled with helpful people who will be much more knowledgeable about Carothers knives than I am.

JJ_Colt45, WValtakis, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  7. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    For me Carothers is consistency, every one of his models perfection. Heat treat, edge geometry, handles all work together to give the end user the best tool possible.

8. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    At close to that price point, I’d start with an FK2 (2nd from right). It’s a great size camp knife but won’t get you far if you’re wanting a chopper.
    [​IMG]
    (Medium Chopper, HDFK, FK2, EDC)

9. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    They are fantastic knives for use and in hand, and the delta heat treat on the 3V is the best in the business bar none. You will not find another 3V that compares in my opinion. It is some absolutely brutal stuff, and SHARP! Can’t wait to get another CPK someday!

10. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    CPK is pretty much my favorite knife maker for all of the reasons stated above.

That said, as far as bang for the buck,
    I think you’ve found a winner in LT Wright. Great knives.

Knives are a slippery slope...run away FAST...while there’s hope!:eek::)

JJ_Colt45, Odog27, TommyGun56 and 2 others like this.
  11. Zubaroo

Apr 6, 2019
    Thanks for all the responses. I have learned to things with this post.
    1. This community is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.
    2. My wife is going to divorce me, after I start down this Carothers rabbit hole. (LOL)

Really great comradery everyone. Thank you

12. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Remember there is a saving grace, he has a couple of kitchen knives that he has been known to make that are just as good as his hunting blades. That should keep her off your back.

WValtakis, Odog27, bikerector and 2 others like this.
  13. Zubaroo

Apr 6, 2019

I love it!!! lmmfao

Odog27 and woodysone like this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The potato knife is fantastic. Good luck getting one though.

[​IMG]

15. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Had one but traded it for a Shiv.:oops: Score another one for Nathan!;)

WValtakis, Odog27 and Murphjd25 like this.
  16. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    In production knife companies Busse kin (Busse, Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard family of companies) are arguably closest to what Carothers is in the custom world. I.e. they make extremely tough knives with a top quality heat treat.

You couldn't go wrong with a Swamp Rat Ratmandu, at a bit over half the $300 price you mention. SR101 (mod 52100) with the Busse family heat treat. So basically a slightly less tough version of Carother's Delta 3V but similar edge holding.

For something directly comparable to Carothers get any Busse kin in INFI steel, which is approximately as tough or a little bit tougher, but with slightly less edge holding, than delta 3V.

[​IMG]

17. Zubaroo

Apr 6, 2019
    ^^^^^^ - Gorgeous

Thank you for informative comparison

So the Swamp steel you mention is similar characteristic of Cru wear?

Odog27 likes this.
  18. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    I don't have any Cruwear but it sounds about right.

Odog27 and Zubaroo like this.
  19. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Yea you won't hear a bad word spoken about them around here. They have a great presence on the forum and their
    Products go fast. You have to be ready and waiting when the sales pop up.

Odog27, woodysone and Zubaroo like this.
  20. Zubaroo

Apr 6, 2019
    Odog27 likes this.