Carothers? What's the big deal?

They are my favourite fixed blade company! Can’t go wrong!
A7gTeTq.jpg

LdjRI5r.jpg

XnyY4ux.jpg

^^^^^^ - Gorgeous

Thank you for informative comparison

So the Swamp steel you mention is similar characteristic of Cru wear?

The swamp rat steel is SR101 which is basically a very well heat treated 52100. 52100 is one of the best balanced steels available if rust resistance isn't a concern and cost is. It's not cheap steel but it's not high-alloy, which generally means high cost. It isn't going to be as nice as delta 3V, but it's very good stuff, just keep it oiled or leave the coating on.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/sr101.shtml

Carothers takes a different approach than Busse in that Busse tends to offer a ton of models with some options and in limited runs, besides the base models that are always available. Carothers offers a much more limited selection but they are perfection. If I have any complaints about Busse knives, it's that the stock edges are often thick and some of the handle shapes can be more form than function. Great craftsmanship, still. The ratmandu is a great knife but don't be surprised if it's a little thick behind the edge and it needs a little thinning down. Usually it's not too much work to do, but some of the knives come with perfect edges right out of the box. There's a little variation there since that part seems to vary a little from batch to batch.

I am also a fan of LT knives and I think they are hard to beat for a quality per dollar basis. But, their models are a bit limited to the smaller end of the spectrum and really hit the bushcraft and working/EDC market hard. Carother's HT is going to be better than most of what LT does with 3V, but LT is no slouch either. LT's stuff is generally simpler designs as well, which helps with the budget side. My favorite knife, still, is an LT bushcrafter mark II, at least in use. It's not the prettiest, but it just works really well for me.

Last edited:
I see Carothers fixed blades go QUICK on the sale posts. What makes these knives so sought after?

Friendly folks to work with and the owners/makers interact with their customers. Nathan is a mad scientist and OCD about perfection in all of his knives. But most of all, CPK knives are known for their performance. You have to really use a CPK hard, to really appreciate what it has to offer.

Friendly folks to work with and the owners/makers interact with their customers. Nathan is a mad scientist and OCD about perfection in all of his knives. But most of all, CPK knives are known for their performance. You have to really use a CPK hard, to really appreciate what it has to offer.
This is spot on. @Nathan the Machinist and team nail it every time and customer service (from what I've seen) are bar none. I love their interaction with customers in their sub forum as well!

CPK is a great company with a phenomenal product.
Their attention to detail is OCD level.
Definitely, the most comfortable handles I’ve had the pleasure to use. These are tough knives with exceptional edge stability. The geometry of the knives is spot on. Even the thick blades (HDFK and the choppers) are excellent slicers.
I haven’t had many blades straight from the manufacturer that can chop down a tree and still easily slice through paper or shave arm hair without being touched up. IMHO they are a level above anything else I’ve ever owned.
There are plenty of other great knives and companies out there. I think if you purchase and use a CPK, you will end up keeping it.

I believe Carothers is responsible for taking me past my “most I’ve ever spent on a blade” threshold...three times now. o_O. This is why I say run!
At least I've got you to keep me company in that club;) I also broke my "Don't buy knives on credit" rule for the KOD, lol.

All I can do is echo what others have said ... you won't find a better fixed blade and you can't beat the interaction ... Jo and Nathan are on the forums answering questions and sharing new ideas and thoughts for their products ... they put all their effort into making sure their customers are happy ... Jo goes above and beyond taking special orders for extra scales or hardware ... it's CS at it's finest ...

And I love my LT Wrights much like you ... CPKs are that "one" knife you could do almost anything with ... and Nathan's detail to handle design just blows me away how each new model feels perfect in my hand no matter if it's the smallish EDC2 or the beast HDMC ...

and his Delta heat treat on 3V makes even thinner stock knives about as bomb proof as a knife could be ...

and his grinds are so good ... he can make what looks like a pry bar like the HDMC at .250" and it still will it shave slivers of recept paper ... they are knives that you'll see passed down through several generations ...

Just another level IMHO ... and I hope the know how many appreciate all they do for us knife knuts.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. I have learned to things with this post.
1. This community is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.
2. My wife is going to divorce me, after I start down this Carothers rabbit hole. (LOL)

Really great comradery everyone. Thank you

And you couldn't be more spot on ... there are a few sub forums that you'll find alot of good people willing to welcome new people and on this one ... many will even help you get your hands on the knife you are wanting ... or try to help at least ...

There are alot of acts of generosity and helping new comers if you look through the posts ... the CPK subforum ... the Becker subforum and the Porch or traditional have always been great in those ways IMHO.

.... I want to dive into a Carothers, but don't like spending over $300 for a knife at this point in the hobby. Any recommendations on the best product per capita model to start?
At your price point, I agree with @ScooterG, the FK2/UFK is a great choice. Just a great “all around” blade.
My EDC2 is my most used blade!
I carry and use it everyday.
Of course, it all depends on what you’re looking for... If you need a chopper, then you need a chopper!

I’ll also agree with everyone else on here. Excellent knives and customer service. I have an HDFK that has seen use that would have seriously diminished the performance of most knives and it retains a perfect shaving sharp edge. I would have never thought a fixed blade this capable if I had not tried one out for myself. 2 years ago I was in the same place as you, curious about what the draw was for the demand for Carothers knives, so I grabbed an HDFK to check them out and it is easily my favorite knife and will never be sold. I will recommend you grab one to try them out. If you change your mind, the “depreciation” on them is fantastic, even if used. Check out their sub, lots of good folks over there that make it a great place to hang out.

DEB0B8A8-55EE-4956-8C5F-BA868E63F720.jpeg

Bummer that it’s soooo freakin hard to get one.

Some models are all gone in like 20 seconds?

Can one even get on a list?

For me, it’s too much stress on a work day.

Why bother?

Usually if demand is high (and is on most models) ... Nathan will open a preorder for a short period and you will have anywhere from a few days to usually a week or so to claim a spot in the preorder ...

After that depending on how busy they are you will get your knife usually within 6 months ... some a little faster some a little longer ... but it's a way for people who can't participate in the Friday sales to buy their knives ... and it is well worth the wait ...

Another option is to hang out in the CPK subforum and get to know how things work ... and they do allow a "proxy" buy ... meaning you can request someone to try to claim a knife for you ... if you use this make sure to read the forum ... but you cannot try to get in on the sale yourself and have a proxy bidder ...

But there are several that will help out if you are polite and ask ...

Nathan and the crew really do try to make sure everyone who wants a certain knife has time to get one before he retires that pattern ...

Another way is post in the CPK buy/sell/trade thread ... and post what knife you are wanting to buy ... and watch the exchange as they pop up regularly there too.

As for the why bother ... if you read just this thread you would understand why ... or check out the sticky and Nathan's videos testing his knives.

They are great knives, and I say this coming from a Busse and Swamprat background. If you want to get something a little cheaper but still tough as heck, then Swamprat is a good choice with a great warranty.

But the carothers knives I have fit my hand the best and the fit and finish is fantastic. Can't go wrong with them, except by waiting too long

Last edited:
Bummer that it’s soooo freakin hard to get one.

Some models are all gone in like 20 seconds?

1-Can one even get on a list?

2- For me, it’s too much stress on a work day.

3- Why bother?

1- Yes, you can get on a pre-order list but that comes with caveats. First of all, Nathan Carothers does not like pre-orders because he's not a proponent of paying up front for knives, but he will collect upfront when someone decides to go on his pre-order list. He also makes some knives concurrently as he's fulfilling the preorders so those on the preorder list will see similar knives selling on his usually very brisk Fridays sales which will then bring you to conundrum # 2 in your list.

If & when Nathan decides to offer a preorder, by and large that is the least stressful way of getting the knife which you have had your eyes on if you wish to buy directly from CPK. Nathan limits his preorders to maybe about 2 per year so that the preorders don't end up steam rolling his operation, an invaluable lesson learned from being in business since 2001 and witnessing many other Cos with lofty aspirations (genuine or otherwise) get buried under the weight of their own undertaking.

2- Although not necessary, it's best to buy a membership on this Site and then ask for someone to act as your proxy buyer on a pre-announced and upcoming Friday's sales date. By and large unless it's the first of the second offering of a new CPK pattern, you will find the CPK forumites very friendly and helpful with folks like you to land a CPK directly. Nathan allows and tolerates proxy buying and the buyer deals directly with CPK to pay for his knife which will also be shipped out to him/her directly by CPK. No one charges you a fee to act as your proxy and the only unwritten rule is that you don't both partake AND ask for a proxy which is frowned upon as "double-dipping".

3- They're very well worth it.

To add: Nathan is striving to achieve a point in the near future when he can maintain some stock for his shelves. So far Nathan has expanded his operation both in terms adding employees (it's currently a 4 person operation) plus added CNC centers.

Once again, fantastic communications offered throughout this thread. I think I am going to make the FK2 in unbuffed "undecided" material. I CANT wait to find it.... :)

The good news for you is that the UFK (Utility Field Knife) aka FK2 models are currently popping up at around CPK's original sales prices or even a bit below that on the secondary market. When supply was limited on CPKs, this was an almost impossible feat in the past 3 years or so and in fact this particular pattern caused a few server crashers the first few times when it was offered, just several months ago!

Also, Nathan is planning on producing some more to offer for sale toward the end of this year if you rather buy directly. Rumor has it that he may also offer some added "custom" options at extra costs but the base prices of the base FK2 models shall not be affected. Good luck in your search :)

Back