Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

Do you carry a Swiss army knife as your every day carry knife? And what model of Swiss Army knife do you carry?

I carry an orange alox pioneer when working on things around the house. I carry it when working on the yard, and anything outside the house..gardening, exterior projects. It's also what I carry when riding a motorcycle. Works great for me.

I carry an explorer because I really like having the magnifier but don't want the bulk of a swisschamp.

I always carry a Rambler in my keychain. For the main knife I alternate between a SAK (Sportsman, Cadet, or Climber) or a classical folder (Opinel or MAM).

Did ya see the "What SAK you toting today" thread?? Kinda answers your question...;)
John

I frequently carry a Walker at home and find the saw to be very handy around the yard. When away from home I have a Rambler on my keychain. When traveling (which I seldom do anymore) I always pack my 40+ year-old Woodsman. I just bought a Rangergrip 78, which will be my main hiking knife.

Executive.
VTRkTSil.jpg

Every single day I carry a black Executive in my RF pocket, along with either a Spartan or an Alox Pioneer in my left cargo pocket. Whether I choose the Spartan or the Pioneer depends on my preference for that day, but the Executive is always with me, and I've been carrying that same Executive for 20 years now.

Jim

No matter what else I might be carrying, I always have a Manager in my jeans watch pocket. It has a Boy Scout emblem on it, so I think of it as a BSA knife.

For about 20 years a Vic classic was on my keyring, and it got used for a heck of a lottos cutting, snipping, screwing, and even bottle opening now and then.

In the 50 years since I got my first SAK, there has been one on or close to me, no matter what other knife was with me. I carried a Buck stockman for time, then a Case peanut for a while, but the SAK was my constant. Like the pole star, it was constant companion, EDC tool, emergency resource. Many times it was my sole EDC. When I was to fly someplace on vacation, I would mail a recruit to myself where I would be staying.

Only in my 'later' life have I almost I gone sole EDC SAK. There are a few 'other' pocket knives in my sock drawer, but they very rarely get carried anymore. I guess I have always been very aware that a knife, a real dedicated knife, is just a one trick pony. All it does is cut. Too many times I've had to fix something out in the middle of nowhere, and a SAK was in my pocket. A small bundle of tools lets you fix things like faulty motorcycles, a trolling motor on a canoe at the far end of a large lake, a fishing reel out on the flats in the Florida Keys.

I finally got tired of lugging around a bunch of knives so I just went sole SAK. It makes life easier. I haven't run into anything that a SAK wouldn't cut that a Buck stockman, Boker Barlow, or any other knife would do better. And the SAK has tools. And that's what makes the difference.

Last edited:
I carried a Small Tinker almost exclusively (sharing pocket time with only an Old Timer 34 OT) from 1989 until last year. Other than the key ring wearing holes in my jeans there isn’t much I don’t like about the knife and it’s capabilities. As much as I like my stockman knives, if you told me I could only take one with me and I would never get another one it’d be a Swiss Army knife. Camper, hiker or Alox farmer.

I carry a Swiss Champ as my EDC pocket tool kit. I have been doing that for about three decades. I have had the one that is in my pocket now for 5 or 6 years. I don't think I have ever use either of the knife blades on it. I carry other knives for cutting stuff. I have used every other blade or tool on it though.

O.B.

Reactions: 315
I usually have my Pioneer X on me. If not that, than a Huntsman (usually yard work stuff). The only reason I carry a one handed opener these days is occasionally it's convenient (holding something I suddenly need to open) or emergency.

For 12 or 15 years I carried the Centurian, and a Wenger Patriot. My money clip is also an SAK. 6 or 8 months ago I swapped the Centurian for a Huntsman. Always carried in a belt case as was the Centurian left front pocket for the Wenger. If I have on pants, I have these two knives.

Back