Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

In regards to the post by James Y, this is a great example of people’s needs being different. I really like my Vic Classic and have several peanuts that I enjoy carrying sometimes but they are not the end all be all solution to my daily cutting needs.
Different people have different needs. That’s just a fact. Luckily we have plenty of options.

In regards to the post by James Y, this is a great example of people’s needs being different. I really like my Vic Classic and have several peanuts that I enjoy carrying sometimes but they are not the end all be all solution to my daily cutting needs.
Different people have different needs. That’s just a fact. Luckily we have plenty of options.
It fortunate we have the option of making choices. Certainly one knife will not fit every use occasion. You can often make them work, but many of us might choose something else for a specific task if we have such.

I was digging certain difficult to kill weeds in my yard yesterday... I had my little Small Tinker in my pocket and used it to dig a couple of them out because it was handy. Then I thought to myself, I have better knives for this and went a got my original Condor Woodslore with it's very thick blade stock (sharpened prybar). It worked better.... and yes, there are other tools available to perform this function and you could choose not to use a knife at all.

I EDC a number of Vics, and Wengers. Just depends on the mood I'm in that day. They also make a good augment for a large primary folder, if your so inclined. Many prefer the Swiss Army jacks, to multi-tools. I like them all.

l4htscm.jpg

ojCALTX.jpg

GfNtFnh.jpg

Hardly anything beats Sak for edc use,but for bigger blade i actually love old style voyagers by cold steel,amazingly handy and lightweight ,were made in few sizes,too bad theyre not made anymore.Also hardly anyone mentions large locking Saks here,theyre excellent to when you need bigger blade for camping or whatever.

Hardly anything beats Sak for edc use,but for bigger blade i actually love old style voyagers by cold steel,amazingly handy and lightweight ,were made in few sizes,too bad theyre not made anymore.Also hardly anyone mentions large locking Saks here,they're excellent to when you need bigger blade for camping or whatever.
I definitely think carrying a larger SAK is a better idea in the woods or camping. I carried the 111mm Adventurer (side lock version) for over 10 years as my edc. Love that knife and have several spares in case I loose one. BUT, a while back I decided to carry a smaller SAK for edc and ended up with the Small Tinker as I like the tool set on the Tinkers for general purposes. (A 111mm will still go with me to the woods IF I remember to stick it in my carry bag.) Many prefer to have a scissors, but generally I do not on my knife as I almost never use them. I have the Leatherman Ps4 Squirt on my pickup key chain. I carry two sets of keys (essentially house+ and auto). Thinking seriously of switching the Squirt over to my house key chain versus car key chain to reduce the potential of breaking the plastic loop on my Tacoma set as J jackknife suggested in another thread. I have had one of the plastic keys break at the key chain end in the past. Fortunately it was not an electronic key.

Last edited:
Hardly anything beats Sak for edc use,but for bigger blade i actually love old style voyagers by cold steel,amazingly handy and lightweight ,were made in few sizes,too bad theyre not made anymore.Also hardly anyone mentions large locking Saks here,theyre excellent to when you need bigger blade for camping or whatever.

For a woods/camping knife a bigger blade is needed. That's when I hang the old Buck 102 on my belt. I've figured out that if my SAK blade is too small, then it's time for the fixed blade. An added plus is, the fixed blade is legal in most laces of worn openly, even in California where we visit a couple times a year. In Texas, you can wear a fixed blade even concealed if the blade is not over 5 1/2 inches. With a SAK in the pocket and fixed blade on the belt, you're covered for a wide range of things.

The fixed blade can come in handy hiking or camping. I generally carry one (and the one varies) hiking for emergencies, but the SAK does 95% of all the cutting. Used to be a Schrade 250T as my larger woods knife which was used for everything outdoors essentially. A smaller SAK paired with a larger folder is a good combination.

Jackknife,that series of knives Buck makes is my favourite ,good design,materials and price for any task,camping or whatever,102,105,117,118,119,120.I have 118 and its excellent,even beats most tactical knives lol in both design and price.Im getting 118 in 5160 or d2 soon .have used large locking sak,just with corkscreew alpineer model as my primary knife long time,and its still going strong,if i need something larger than alox i will carry alpineer.That knife is little beat up but never let me down,and sak steel and heat treat is all i need,its always razor sharp,i sharpened it up almost exclusively on bottom of ceramic coffee mug for long time,and few swipes makes it scary sharp.I dont think you can do that with some super steels.

Jackknife,that series of knives Buck makes is my favourite ,good design,materials and price for any task,camping or whatever,102,105,117,118,119,120.I have 118 and its excellent,even beats most tactical knives lol in both design and price.Im getting 118 in 5160 or d2 soon .have used large locking sak,just with corkscreew alpineer model as my primary knife long time,and its still going strong,if i need something larger than alox i will carry alpineer.That knife is little beat up but never let me down,and sak steel and heat treat is all i need,its always razor sharp,i sharpened it up almost exclusively on bottom of ceramic coffee mug for long time,and few swipes makes it scary sharp.I dont think you can do that with some super steels.

lonestar, I got my first Buck 102 in 1969, and for the next thrityyears it was my hunting/camping/fishing/backpacking/traveling knife. By 1999, it was worn down to a sharpened toothpick and finally the end 1/3 of blade broke off while cleaning a very large bluefish on the Chesapeake bay. A few months later my better half having heard me grieve over it, bought me a new one for my birthday. I'm still using it. I don't hunt anymore but its my go-to fishing knife and still is on my hip a lot of times these days. My SAK deals with small pocketknife jobs, the Buck ride along for bigger or messier jobs.

I really think the Buck 102 is one of the finest all around designer in a compact sheath knife. In the early 70's I thought I was going good to collect some Randall's, a few Jay Hendricksons, a Clyde Fisher. I ended up selling off all the customs as they didn't do any better a job than the Buck. The Randall's were the biggest let down.

Like Victorinox, theres still a Buck at the head of the table at Buck Knives, and its a great company. With a SAK in my pocket and my 102 on my belt, I don't feel theres a lot that I'm not prepared for, knife wise.

I've been interested in the Buck 105 (I believe it's called the Pathfinder?) for years, actually decades, since I was around 14. But for whatever reasons have never pulled the trigger. IMO, any one of the Buck 100 series knives would be a perfect complement to a SAK in the outdoors.

Jim

Like Victorinox, theres still a Buck at the head of the table at Buck Knives, and its a great company. With a SAK in my pocket and my 102 on my belt, I don't feel theres a lot that I'm not prepared for, knife wise.

Touché

I've been interested in the Buck 105 (I believe it's called the Pathfinder?) for years, actually decades, since I was around 14. But for whatever reasons have never pulled the trigger. IMO, any one of the Buck 100 series knives would be a perfect complement to a SAK in the outdoors.

Jim
I agree with the Pathfinder. I have so many fixed blades to compliment my SAK outdoors. It is one of the reasons that I find the Small Tinker adequate for most things as I know I can always grab a larger knife or I already have a fixed blade with me outdoors. That said, the larger fixed blade is not a saw and the little SAK saws can be quite useful for small cutting jobs.

Back