Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

The Classic on a keychain is "gasp" all I carry everyday. Thinking mans knife in that a small sharp tool is better than a big dull tool. I downsized from a ZT350 to a Manix 2, to Paramilitary 2 to Spartan to Pioneer to Classic only. Waistband carry is for guns only.

While I carry my gun appendix carry...when I dont, which is rare...it is much better than pocket clipped for a knife.

I've been a SAK fan for years and carried a tinker many of those. However I have been carrying my Pioneer X for the past month and love it. I havent yet met a problem it can't solve.

The humble p38 can opener is a great example in my opinion. That and a BSA Hotspark. Both have spent time on my keys. I see both as critical pieces of my edc

The P-38 is an amazing little tool. I still carry mine in the zipper compartment of my wallet, mostly for sentimental value, but the classic and executive, let alone the Leatherman squirt does not have can opening capability. It's nice to know it's there for emergency can duty, as well as any screw driving, light prying if I don't have a small SAK with me, kill when I'm flying someplace. The P-38, Victorinox quarto, and a small pocket knife can let you go a long way with very little. The combo of quarto, P-38, lets me carry the small SAK's like the executive and classic when traveling light.

Hmm never thought of carrying one of those quarto tools, but I can see how it would pair well with something like an executive. Thanks for the idea

I heard about a woman who hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail, whose only knife was a Vic Classic.

Myself, I prefer the Executive to the Classic as my small EDC SAK. But the Classic itself is extremely useful. I carried one for a few years before switching to my Exec. But one Christmas I gave a bunch of Classics to family members. My brother and his wife still carry theirs.

Jim

Hmm never thought of carrying one of those quarto tools, but I can see how it would pair well with something like an executive. Thanks for the idea

I grew up watching my dad, and a lots of the other men of that generation, carrying small one and two bladed pocket knives, and they seemed to most times have one of those Sear's 4-way keychain screw drivers on their keyring. The old P-38 was stuck in the wallet as most of them were WW2 vets. I just grew up with that mentality, to always have some kind of basic tool on hand. It wasn't until I was in the army that I came across Swiss Army knives when I was stationed in Germany. Then I got into SAK's, but still was 'into' regular traditional pocket knives like I grew up with.

Even though I carried a SAK, the habit stayed with me. Now that I find myself going light, carrying a SAK that has less tool capability like the executive and classic, I find the keychain screw driver like the Victorinox quarto, and P-38 still a very useful option to have on me. They take up no room in the wallet and will get the job done in a pinch. The Vic executive is more pocket knife than tool, so a few items in the wallet is a good thing. When I was in my Case peanut stage as homage to my dad, I got by very well with the peanut, Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver, and P-38.

Maybe I'm sort of reverting in my old age.

Last edited:
I grew up watching my dad, and a lottos the other men of that generation, carrying small one and two bladed pocket knives, and they seemed to most times have one of those Sear's 4-way keychain screw drivers on their keyring. The old P-38 was stuck in the wallet as most of them were WW2 vets. I just grew up with that mentality, to always have some kind of basic tool on hand. It wasn't until I was in the army that I came across Swiss Army knives when I was stationed in Germany. Then I go tint SAK's, but still was 'into' regular traditional pocket knives like I grew up with.

Even though I carried a SAK, the habit stayed with me. Now that I find myself carrying a SAK that has less tool capability like the executive and classic, I find the keychain screw driver and P-38 still a very useful option Mohave on me. They take up no room in the wallet and will get the job done in a pinch.

Makes sense, thanks for sharing. I stumbled upon the p38 by chance, although I do recall my old scoutmaster swearing by his. As an outdoorsman the less gear I have to drag around the better. The p38 paired with a Leatherman squirt allows me to ditch the full-size Leatherman wave aka 9oz boat anchor I used to carry.

Makes sense, thanks for sharing. I stumbled upon the p38 by chance, although I do recall my old scoutmaster swearing by his. As an outdoorsman the less gear I have to drag around the better. The p38 paired with a Leatherman squirt allows me to ditch the full-size Leatherman wave aka 9oz boat anchor I used to carry.

As an outdoorsman the less gear you have to carry is good, but, I can tell you as a bonafide old fart social security retiree, the less weight and stuff you have to carry is great!

I got out of the army with my right foot severely messed up by a construction accident while in the engineers. Being 50% disabled and on a cane but still wanting to enjoy backpacking, I went ultra light. Cutting handles down on the toothbrush, snipping the paper tags off tea bags. Tiny keychain size flashlight. Monocular instead of compact binoculars. Dried food that didn't need to be cooked like jerky and dried fruit and nuts, bread and cheese. I got my pack weight down to 25 pounds for a three day trip.

Once I found out how effective a very small item can still be at it's intended task it was deigned for, it bleed a great deal over to my day to day life. Then my better half, Karen, showed me what a little classic was good for. I was impressed. I never thought that tiny itty bitty SAK would stand up to her torture, but it did. Then I started to carry one and experiment. For the next twenty so years, the SAK classic and Case peanut were my EDC pocket knives. I only finally switched it the executive for the slightly bigger size that could cut a sandwich in half. The executive and the Case peanut have almost the same main blade size, with the smaller pen blade as secondary. Plus the executive still gave me the small scissors and nail file the classic did.

So, the peanut and classic was retired and the executive became my sole EDC pocket knife in my retired life in my new home town of Georgetown, Texas. It handles monofilament fishing line, cinnamon buns, and my other cutting needs great. But the quarto and P-38 will always be on stand by if needed. The executive is a pocket knife, but the P-38 can double as a flat screw driver, Phillips screw driver if you use the corner, wood putty or small Minwax varnish can opener, scraper, and even open cans.

The P-38 combined with the Leatherman squirt is a killer EDC. Lots of capability in a very small package!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
The P-38 combined with the Leatherman squirt is a killer EDC. Lots of capability in a very small package!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agreed. If I need more capable tools than that, I can always run back to the truck for my tool box. I’d much rather pry with an oversized MAC flat head screwdriver than pry with a Leatherman.
But you raise good points about the SAK executive. I have one, but I haven’t considered it for edc. Maybe I should....

Small keychain tools like the Classic are actually among the most common choices among thru hikers.
Yeah, back in the '90s I was reading a hiking book, and the author, touting the virtues of the Classic among hikers, said he only carried a Classic himself to save on space and weight. He even said that he was contemplating "cutting off the nail file blade" to save even more weight. I didn't know if he was kidding or serious, but if he was serious, it sounded stupid to me.

I know many people get by with only a Classic, but for myself, on a long hike, I wouldn't want to be quite so minimalist as to limit myself to only a Classic. I'd want at least an Executive, and I'd pair that with either my Spartan or my Pioneer or Farmer.

Jim

I’ve found the Victorinox Waiter to be a great pocket carry. It’s really lightweight, has a good size blade, combo tool, and the corkscrew can be used for all sorts of stuff if you’re creative. I’ve even popped the corkscrew out and gripped the handle so I have a pretty nasty middle finger sticking out when walking at night through some sketchy areas and Parking lots.

Yeah, back in the '90s I was reading a hiking book, and the author, touting the virtues of the Classic among hikers, said he only carried a Classic himself to save on space and weight. He even said that he was contemplating "cutting off the nail file blade" to save even more weight. I didn't know if he was kidding or serious, but if he was serious, it sounded stupid to me.

I know many people get by with only a Classic, but for myself, on a long hike, I wouldn't want to be quite so minimalist as to limit myself to only a Classic. I'd want at least an Executive, and I'd pair that with either my Spartan or my Pioneer or Farmer.

Jim

That would have been Colin Fletcher, backpacking guru of the 60's/70's. His book, The Complete Walker, was THE backpacking bible for a couple if generations of backpackers. The book has been reprinted and revised numerous times. Fletcher himself had an interesting background, he'd been a British Commando during WW2, and did the solo backpack the length of Grand Canyon, and a few other through trips under some rugged conditions.

When I did my ultra light back pack trips, I carried a SAK, but it was usually my old trusty Wenger SI, or a farmer with the great SAK saw blade. Emergencies happen and I want to be able to process wood if I don't have my fixed blade along. It wasn't until middle age that I finally ditched my fixed blade for a SAK with a saw blade. If it was winter, I'd still pack a fixed blade. Never can tell. Off in the boonies, equipment failure or accident can happen. I want more than a 58 or 74mm SAK.

I’m becoming more and more of a SAK fan. I’d prefer to carry a more traditional knife like a Barlow or a Peanut but the extra capabilities of a SAK are too handy to give up. Just today I used my Pioneer Rancher to pry out a a sticky window screen, cut greens in my garden, and prepare dinner. It’s not hard to believe a Classic would be a good companion on a through hike.

victorinox saks can do anything and are perfect for edc,i have too many knives but carry alox sak or opinel garden knife and find them better performing than all other knives i have.

victorinox saks can do anything and are perfect for edc,i have too many knives but carry alox sak or opinel garden knife and find them better performing than all other knives i have.

If you try a Victorinox florist knife, you won't bother with an Opinel ever again.

I've been playing with one for a few months now, and it's the first pocket knife in a longtime that has the spooky sharp slicing ability of the Opinel, but with a flatter profile for better pocket ability, and the sheep foot blade shape. It's scaled in the more rugged nylon, and the walk and talk fit is first class. Great spring action.

The blade itself is chisel grind, and soooooo easy to touchup fast on any kind of stone/hone. Very very thin final edge glides through what your cutting, no matter cardboard, plastic, rope, wood. Super excellent whittling knife. Very comfortable handle with nicely rounded off edges for hard use with no hot spots. I LOVE, LOVE, the sheep foot blade. With the executive in the coin pocket and the florist in my other pocket, I feel equipped for my day, knife wise.

I haven't tested the florist knife to destruction, but as a machinist with a long experience of working with different materials, the Victorinox florist knife seems more ruggedly constructed than any similar size Opinel that will fit in your pants pockets.

Last edited:
I just got my Alox Cigar Cutter and it now will replace the Ambassador that I carry as my EDC. NICE !!!

I’m becoming more and more of a SAK fan. I’d prefer to carry a more traditional knife like a Barlow or a Peanut but the extra capabilities of a SAK are too handy to give up. Just today I used my Pioneer Rancher to pry out a a sticky window screen, cut greens in my garden, and prepare dinner. It’s not hard to believe a Classic would be a good companion on a through hike.

Country Squire, if there was ever a huge fan of the Case peanut, it was me. That's the knife that I grew up watching my dad use for all kinds of pocket knife level cutting jobs. From the earliest memories of wanting a pocket knife of my own to when he passed away, he always had his little Case peanut in his pocket. Home repair jobs, picnics, fishing, whatever. I was hooked on scout knives because that was my first knife I got as a kid when I joined the boy scouts. That led me to SAK's when I was in the army. Mostly 91mm and some 84mm SAK's. I never thought of downsizing until after dad passed, and I carried his little peanut for while then bought my own to see how he got by with such a small knife. Then my better half turned me onto the classic in a roundabout way.

Now I carry an executive and it does everything my old Case peanut did, anymore. The small screw driver on the orange peeler fits the adjustment screws on Smith and Wesson and Williams Foolproof peep sights, the spear shaped tip of the nail file makes a fine small Phillips screw driver if a small flat is filed on the tip. The larger blade can cut a sandwich in half or a slice of pie. It has many capabilities that my old peanut can't match. Kind of like a classic on steroids. After using the executive since last July, I can see why and how Chuck Yeager used it exclusively as his back packing knife for two weeks at a time in the Sierra Nevada mountains on his trout fishing expeditions. The small SAK's pack a huge amount of utility into a small package.

My Case peanut got permanently retired. Now I'm 100% SAK. This from the retired Grand High Muckba of the Cult Of The Peanut.

When in the Marines I had an aftermarket sheath for my KABAR that had a pouch, presumably for a sharpener. I kept a camo TInker in the pouch and it got used WAY more than the KABAR usually.

These days I carry a Huntsman with plus scales because the tools pretty much do everything I need. My Huntsman has accompanied me on all my motorcycle trips, hunting, camping, daily office routine etc etc.

I think you’d be hard pressed to beat that knife for the majority of tasks you’ll run across. I have one in my car, truck and boat, just Incase I ever forget to toss a knife in my pocket.

Back