Carrying around in your pocket.

FireStrings85

Gold Member
I'm not familiar with weapon laws in most states but in Virginia it is against the law to carry around a blade in layman terms (leaving out all the legal jargon) in your pocket because it is considered a concealed weapon. Do any of you ignore this risk and still carry around one in your pocket regardless?

I carry a knife everywhre I go. I've only been stopped a few times, and never for the knife. It's easy to say "it's a work knife" or just tell the police that you have a pocketknife on you. Most of the time they won't even ask to see it.

It all depends on your attitude.

Yes, I carry a pocketknife in my pocket. Here in Texas, it's no big deal, but even when living in Chicago, I carried large folders (double or more the legal length) never once had a problem.

Like JNieporte said "It all depends on your attitude."

I carry daily, openly and within the legal limits. No autos, balisongs or push daggers allowed here in Canada, but a manual folder or small fixed blade not concealed is usually ok for use as a tool.

in Virginia it is against the law to carry around a blade in layman terms (leaving out all the legal jargon) in your pocket because it is considered a concealed weapon.

This is news.

I've been given the impression the issue is blade length. Note that some fine, intelligent individual has determined that concerning fixed blades the handle is often considered part of the blade.

ive always carried a knife, no matter where i went, legal or not
so yes, i ignore the law concerning that aspect
however, i live in europe, ive carried different folders or fixed blades in romania, italy, france, belgium, and across germany, austria, hungary....whatever :D

ive always carried a knife, no matter where i went, legal or not
so yes, i ignore the law concerning that aspect
however, i live in europe, ive carried different folders or fixed blades in romania, italy, france, belgium, and across germany, austria, hungary....whatever :D
same here
screw bullshit knife laws

but i offcourse watch out and dont take a knife where i might get searched and so on, that'd not be too smart

the knife i take with me its relative to the place i go , sheeple friendly, defense, work,
anyway i always have at least my victorinox soldier, and maybe a delica or the SPOT.

There's no law against carry in CA. Not even a size limit, as long as it's not a gravity knife or a switchblade.

I hardly even leave my bedroom without a knife anymore. I carry a Ti-Lite for SD, and a Delica for everything else.

I have carried a knife for 34 years. I do my very best to be aware and follow the local knife laws. I do not do anything that I am not supposed to do either.

I carry everywhere except in schools and places where I will be searched or go through a metal detector. I have done this since I was 15 and I don't plan on stopping!

Here in michigan almost every cop will try and say that the legal limit is 3" but when you read the law it states no limit for folders. I have always carried a knife with a 3.5in or bigger blade for the simple reason, it gets more work done faster. I have had a few officers try and give me a hard time but I was always nice and I know the laws, plus telling them its a work knife helps.

I dont engage in behaviour that will attract the attention of Police. I have carried blades (both fixed and folders, openly for the last 30 years (since i was 6) and have never had a problem.

its really quite simple.

it doesn't really matter what the knife law says is illegal , if a cop wants you cuffed and stuffed, thats most likely what is gonna happen. (whether you have a knife or not.)
I've always carried whatever I want/need - ymmmv

I'm also from MI. and after doing some knife shopping at the local sporting goods store I called several different State Police posts to get an idea as what to buy. I was told that anything over 3" is illegal so I looked up the law and the first part of the law states that this applies only if the knife is intended to be used in an illegal manner. I called back one of the posts and read that to them and was told that they would just assume that it was going to be used in an illegal manner. I guess up here, it just matters what mood the cop is in.
growing up, I and almost all my friends carried some sort of knife, mostly Buck folding hunters, which it seems are all illegal. I was hoping to carry my Lg. reg Sebbie but I don't want to risk having it confiscated.
I guess what I'm asking is, what are we supposed to do when the police ignore the law, (which is black and white) on the subject.

750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.

Sec. 226.

Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

Last edited:
I do look at the laws. In California there's no blade length limit, so I can carry a Skirmish or whatever. If I go to Nevada I'll carry a smaller knife. But I won't go anywhere with nothing.

Where in the law does it say that it is illegal to carry a folding knife? The only thing I can see is that you cannot carry a "dirk, bowie knife, switchblade, balistic knife, machete, or razor." Maybe I missed something or am interpreting it wrong.

Having said that, I've been carrying a knife clipped in my pocket for many years without a problem.

I was told any knife, folding or fixed, in a sheath or pouch was illegal to carry if it had a blade over 3".
The police didn't care to hear about the, "Carrying with unlawful intent" part.

I was told any knife, folding or fixed, in a sheath or pouch was illegal to carry if it had a blade over 3".
The police didn't care to hear about the, "Carrying with unlawful intent" part.

Sorry I should have specified, I meant for Virginia.

Back