Cartridge belts?

6D9E47AF-2309-466E-9C7A-B29E0D602329.jpeg 4C24B677-AC79-4182-A533-0732D432C7B4.jpeg Hello all. I was recently asked by a friend if I could make a cartridge belt. I said maybe. I’ve never handled a cartridge belt before so I looked at pictures online. Nothing about construction really. So I did this proof of concept thing. Is this a traditional way to make a cartridge belt?

Thanks, Jon

That is one way of doing it. I have for years successfully resisted calls to make a cartridge belt. If I were to do so I would get a pattern pack from either Will Ghormley or Slickbald Custom. There is more to a cartridge belt than meets the eye and they have done the math for you. You have seen much of Ghormley's work and not realized it. Ever see Tombstone, Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma etc? Slickbald is a top maker for the cowboy action market. Either one of these guys patterns would get ya going down the right road

No. Slots too wide, too close together. Loops should be pushed through same slot. i.e. feed loop from back through slot then back trough the same slot. Belt should also be heavier.

Back