Carving Animals is Hard

Thanks! I'll try to get pictures posted in a bit. Also, I misspoke on the W&C leather I started with--started with Special grade, not Standard. Even the special grade was hands above the Tandy leather I'd been using. But am happier with the Utility, and would probably be happier still with the Standard.

Hi ANovinc, I use microsoft office picture manager from the right click/open with menu, go to pulldown menu: picture...crop. when done cropping go to picture... resize. I resize to 60% and usually files drop from 5 to 1 mb after these operations. Really looking forward to the firebird.

So here's my Firebird. If I were doing it again, I would have left the sheath natural, so as to better showcase the colors on the bird. The wing intentionally wraps around to the back-side of the sheath. I'm still working on my swivel knife and beveling skills.

IMG952018040795121723-rs.jpg IMG952018040795135050-rs.jpg IMG9520180422951020199501-rs.jpg

Hi Ami, that bird is on Fire! Great job. I do like the wrap around idea, I didn't know that was allowed:>)

That phoenix is tremendous work ANovinc ANovinc , well done!

I have three sides of W&C leather and one side of RJF Leather. The W&C leather is well finished on the flesh side which makes it nice for folded over belt loops and such. The W&C leather also has significant variation in thickness. The RJF leather is smoother, competitively priced, and Roger is great to talk with. Like most things- when asked which is better- it depends on use.

Back