Case copperlock Canada safe??

Traveling via car to Canada this Saturday. Just happen to see the new law passed. Glad I checked because I was going to take my ZT0609. Just wondering if a case copperlock would be a safe knife to take. I also have a Northwoods Hawthorne that I was going to take as well. Just don’t want them taken at the boarder if asked/searched.

Thanks

I usually carry a slipjoint when crossing the border.

If they don't ask if I have anything I don't say anything.

If they ask I say I have a jackknife. After I've said that no one's asked to see it. I've been quizzed both by US and Canadian guards about this.

This time of year I bet they ask you about produce/meat/cheese, or gifts for friends vs. weapons.

I usually carry a slipjoint when crossing the border.

If they don't ask if I have anything I don't say anything.

If they ask I say I have a jackknife. After I've said that no one's asked to see it. I've been quizzed both by US and Canadian guards about this.

This time of year I bet they ask you about produce/meat/cheese, or gifts for friends vs. weapons.

Good to know. Every other year we go up I’m always asked about weapons. Usually I say no weapons/guns but I do have a small pocket knife. Never say what kind but I have never been bugged about my knife when I say I have a pocket knife. But I’m just making sure my slip joint is not going to taken.

As Danke says, the copper lock and the hawthorn should be fine, two handed opening really calms them down and yeah, this time of year they will be on the hunt for people bring more than their limit of booze more than a couple jacks.

As Danke says, the copper lock and the hawthorn should be fine, two handed opening really calms them down and yeah, this time of year they will be on the hunt for people bring more than their limit of booze more than a couple jacks.

Good to know. And yeah I don’t bring anything across other then the cloths I need. I do all my shopping in Canada once I get there. Makes for a long day but better hen having my car torn apart and my stuff pulled out of my bags.

Traveling too light can weird them out also. Just about everything in Canada is more expensive than the US so saying you're buying all your supplies up here could get you that extra attention.

Some folks really have a hate on for the Nat Geo series "Border Security" but if you watch the agents, listen to their questions and how the folks trying to get into Canada or the US behave you can get a pretty solid do's and dont's list.

Traveling too light can weird them out also. Just about everything in Canada is more expensive than the US so saying you're buying all your supplies up here could get you that extra attention.

Some folks really have a hate on for the Nat Geo series "Border Security" but if you watch the agents, listen to their questions and how the folks trying to get into Canada or the US behave you can get a pretty solid do's and dont's list.

It’s not that I’m buying all supplies. We stay with the in-laws so other then the cloths I need I don’t pack anything extra. Maybe a blanket or boots. We just buy the Christmas gift up there. I am polite. I don’t try and be funny I keep my answers short and to the point. I have had good crossing and crossing where I have had to pull over and go in the building. I just don’t want to get that note saying please take this in to the office due to a knife.

kinmm
Traveling via car to Canada this Saturday. Just happen to see the new law passed. Glad I checked because I was going to take my ZT0609. Just wondering if a case copperlock would be a safe knife to take. I also have a Northwoods Hawthorne that I was going to take as well. Just don’t want th. em taken at the boarder if asked/searched.

Thanks

Your case copperlock is fine. Locking knives aren’t an issue. What they have an issue with is one hand opening knives that can be opened quickly.

Just don’t declare it a weapon when they ask.

There is no real issue with carrying/owning most knives in Canada as long as they aren't auto's, balisongs, or gravity knives. As long as the knife is a "tool", it's typically okay up here. The issue in Canada recently is with the importation of knives..... the border guards are using a different (read: incorrect) interpretation of what can be allowed in via mail then what is actually legal to carry. I've had a number of knives confiscated by the CBSA that I ordered from the USA...... yet I can go to a local knife shop and legally buy and carry the same knives. It's messed up.

Back