Case Knife: EDC or Collector’s Knife?

Guys, we all know Case knives are very collectible and many people buy old or new ones to stick in the drawer or safe.

But does anyone today still actually CARRY and USE a Case knife? I ask because I’m in the market for a CV Stockman with amber jigged bone scales, but are these even considered a candidate for real world use, or a handsome trinket for collecting only?

95-F5-FABB-91-A8-4150-91-D8-08-EC2446-E2-A0.jpg

Just wondering, gang. I’ve pined for a traditional folder for years and think I’ve narrowed it down, but my uses will not at all be collecting, but whittling, cleaning squirrels, opening packages, cutting food, etc. and am just wondering either way.

So, does anyone still use a old fashion Case knife on the daily? Or are these pretty collectibles for display only? Thanks all,

-Mitch

So, does anyone still use a old fashion Case knife on the daily?
Of course ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
The last two weeks I carried a Case Tribal Lock in very similar bone scales to the photo you posted Peach Seed Jigged Bone. The only difference in mine is it has the "antique" dye added to take the white bone on the ends to a yellowed tan color.

It gets the job done for light materials that aren't too abrasive. The Tribal Lock is actually a pretty stout knife but you are right the steel is a little soft.

In contrast what I will be carrying for the foreseeable couple weeks is going to be __________
THIS LINE HAS BEEN EDITED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT.
Suffice it to say the blade is made from clad HAP-40 high alloy steel and is fantastically thin, hard and sharp.

PS: one of my very favorite EDC knives is the Case Trapper of which I have like ten in various handle materials and textures. The handle shape and blade shape is so superior for my use that I am willing to sharpen much more often. And having so many it is easy to just reach for a sharp one or carry more than one so I don't have to sharpen every day.

My Christmas carry knife this last Christmas was a Case Trapper in Dark Red Jigged Bone with a CV blade.

So yeh we carry the heck out of the Case Traditionals. Over all these are great USERS !

Me too,been kicking it around between a mini Case Stockman CV or a Mini Case Trapper CV. I have a Trapper in stainless but I don't need to carry a big knife like that often when the mini is easier to carry in the watch pocket and don't even know it's there. I do have an old Uncle Henry medium stockman that I have carried, geeze, for maybe 30 years or so. What I have found with the stockman is I hardly ever used anything more then the primary blade for anything and the whole knife is like in new condition. I don't even know what the blade steel is on it but it wears good and holds an edge though it doesn't show any signs of patina. I do have one little quirk about the design of the stockman and that is the sheep's foot has to be bent in order to lay between the clip point and the spey blade. That's more or less why I tend to lean more to the Trapper patterned knives now. You mentioned cleaning squirrels, then the Trapper , either the large or the mini will be ideal for this job because of the nice spey blade that is a great skinner. I'd probably stay with the stainless for use in this sense since it will be blood covered and not so easy to clean when done cleaning those little tree rats. I was worried about a Tru Sharp blade for a long time because there are some who would have you believe that it turns into a butter knife with the first cut. This is laughable, actually. If that was the " Case ", then I don't think Case knives would have the following that they have had for all these many years. Oh and I think the Antique Jig Bone is the best looking scales out there. I have a few knives with that and they are easily my most wanted.

I also recommend using your new knife. Case does make some knives that appear to be designed specifically for the collector market but the knife in your picture is not one of them in my opinion.

R Ripcord 82 A lot of people have this received notion that CASE ss is some kind of rubbish stainless that won't hold an edge, but as you've discovered, it's quite wrong. It all dates back more than half a century when received wisdom(aka ignorance) was that stainless can't hold an edge and carbon is the real thing bla bla. It may be 'modest' in terms of modern steels but it works very well for pocket knife tasks, edge holds actually better than their cv I've found. It would be a proper option for field dressing small game or fish etc.

I'd recommend the matte finish as ground stainless for constant work, or you can knock off the polish on the regular run models with paper-keeps down the scratch effect.

Last edited:
It's not a surprise that some people, especially those unfamiliar with the Traditional knife world. might assume that CASE are pay and display collector stuff. They do put out some questionable (in terms of taste..) runs with kitsch themes or garish handles, it brings in money. But at heart, they're serious user knives with both a long pedigree and future potential.

Here's a Chestnut Bone carbon that sees much pocket time and use in the garden and elsewhere. No trinket this one ;):thumbsup:

cbL47No.jpg

R Ripcord 82 A lot of people have this received notion that CASE ss is some kind of rubbish stainless that won't hold an edge, but as you've discovered, it's quite wrong. It all dates back more than half a century when received wisdom(aka ignorance) was that stainless can't hold an edge and carbon is the real thing bla bla. It may be 'modest' in terms of modern steels but it works very well for pocket knife tasks, edge holds actually better than their cv I've found. It would be a proper option for field dressing small game or fish etc.

Well said I have both and am happy to use either.
Whatever the knife if you like it & want to use it, just use it.
Cheers
Mitch

Use it! Case knives are great, I have several that all get used at times. I like their stainless, much as Will said it takes a fine edge and holds it fine for my needs. I have a mini trapper and a peanut in the amber bone, and it just gets better with a bit of pocket and hand time, my opinion!

I carry an amber bone cv trapper almost everyday. Great knife! And very durable.

I like both Case's CV and stainless 420HC 'Tru-Sharp'.

The two models I use the most are the large CV Stockman and the stainless mini Trapper.

The medium CV stockman you are thinking of getting will serve you well for all the tasks you mentioned.

The CV steel performs very well, especially when it's been thinned out a bit behind the edge.

LAgIHO6.jpg

The mini Trapper is the knife I take along with me to BBQs and restaurants so I don't have to rely on dull flatware or the abomination of plastic knives. The spey blade is great for that purpose - discreet, takes a sharp edge easily, very stainless, and if it dulls on a plate, it's a cinch to bring back to razor sharp.

I like running the stainless Case blades with a medium coarse edge - around 600 grit.

An often mentioned advantage of the Stockman in addition to the versatile blade kit, is the ability to play around with different edge finishes.

For example you can have a scalpel thin sheepsfoot for opening boxes and packages and whittling, reserve the clip blade for food, and run a coarse edge on the spey for field dressing small game.

uXRtHpy.jpg

I like them enough as working knives, that I'm looking to add a full size CV trapper to my user knives.

I use every Case knife I own, there a usually 2 riding my pockets everyday. I can’t think of one that I would buy and not use. I like the feel of a knife in my hand like a kids fidget toy at times and small Case knives are great for this purpose. My most used knife is an Amber bone Mini Copperlock but it will get some competition when I receive a Case Mini Trapper with a single Warncliff blade, can’t wait. Use them as they are intended. Pick a pattern or 5 and have fun.

Yes carry and use the heck out of it. Take care of it and sooner or later you will know it’s there but you won,t remember how long you have had it. Pick your favorite pattern or 5 and have fun and use them all.

Use them new or old (unless it’s a tested xx in mint condition or older) great edc knives. Only two I have currently are the Bose Collabs I carry and use them often. You might enjoy the medium cv stockman with the pen blade more

Back