Case Sowbelly

i picked up a new/old stock Case Sowbelly over the weekend and I have a question. It’s an American Workman single bladed Sowbelly that looks like fire engine red jigged delrin. My question does anyone know if this knife has a half stop, it feels like there should be one and if there is it is very week and it seems like the blade has a squishy movement for a good 10 degrees around the half stop.

I would appreciate any comments.

upload_2019-8-11_19-55-30.jpeg

Thanks Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck , hopefully it will smooth with use. It won’t stop me from using it. This is the 1st Sowbelly that I have so I wasn’t sure.

It looks like a nice one. I'm partial to the stockman version myself. Have one single blade version and five of the stockman ones. One of my favorite patterns for sure!

None of my Sowbellies (single or stockman) have a half stop. But you are right about that weird feeling around where a half stop would be :)
agree. I have two three-bladed sowbellies and neither has a half stop. They are, after all, a stockman variant. I have never seen any stockman with a half stop.

None of these has a half stop. Never ran across one that did.

FdTR42a.jpg

Ud3Js8O.jpg

This is the 1st Sowbelly that I’ve gotten, so I wasn’t sure about the half stop, it just has a weird feeling in that area hopefully it will smooth up with use. I’m partial to single blade knives and this just feels good in my hand.

i picked up a new/old stock Case Sowbelly over the weekend and I have a question. It’s an American Workman single bladed Sowbelly that looks like fire engine red jigged delrin. My question does anyone know if this knife has a half stop, it feels like there should be one and if there is it is very week and it seems like the blade has a squishy movement for a good 10 degrees around the half stop.

I would appreciate any comments.

View attachment 1177371

I have the same knife - no half stop. I dug mine out & see what you mean about the "squishy" movement near where the half stop would be ... mine has that too. I checked the blue one & that one doesn't have the squishy spot - just the red one has it.

86xcV6G.jpg

Last edited:
Yep,no half stop here either and it does have that odd feel where it should be but I have other knives that feel the same so it is not unique to the Sowbelly. I don't consider it a fault and I don't give it any thought.The only fault that this single blade Sowbelly has is now I want a Sowbelly Stockman to go with it because of the way these things feel in my hand...sooooo nice.
9SCtY65.jpg

I
Yep,no half stop here either and it does have that odd feel where it should be but I have other knives that feel the same so it is not unique to the Sowbelly. I don't consider it a fault and I don't give it any thought.The only fault that this single blade Sowbelly has is now I want a Sowbelly Stockman to go with it because of the way these things feel in my hand...sooooo nice.
9SCtY65.jpg
like the yeller one may have to one up

I have a Case/Tony Bose tribal lock. It is the smooth antique bone, and my particular one is listed as having a semi-stop rather than a true half stop. It kind of sounds like what you are describing. To further confuse things from what I have read, some tribal locks have the semi-stop while others don't. This could be the case with your Case/Bose Sowbelly. It's possible that some years could have a semi-stop and other years of the same pattern might not? Just speculating.

I agree, the yellow delrin single blade is sweet.
It really is.I have many knives with two and three blade configurations and with different covers. To me,this yellow Sowbelly with a single blade keeps reminding me every time I have been pulling it out to use, why I really need all those blades when one such as this is so much more practical. I can do everything I want with just this one blade. I still love my Trappers and Stockmans but I very seldom use more then one blade and in most situations,the clip point is called upon for the task. I realize that it is all personal preference and that is a good thing. It keeps all these knife companies in business because we as knife guys, can't make up our minds what we like. That makes us colletors.;)

I have zero need for a new knife. But dad-gum that single-blade yellow CV keeps calling my name!

-- Mark

Never much of an impulse buyer, more than a year after this ^ post, I finally got my hands on a yella sowbelly TB3139 CV. Gotta say ..... I'm extremely happy with it. Case knocked it out of the park on this one! :thumbsup: There's so much to love about this knife. I'm a stickler for "pocketability," and with rounded bolsters and the tang well out of the way when closed, this sucker is virtually un-noticeable when I'm carrying it. I don't generally give much thought to the factory edge a knife comes with (I can put a good edge on in no time with a stone), but the folks at Case HQ did a good job on this one. I also like that the pins are very flush with the delrin scales. Pretty slick swedge on the front of the blade too. It's almost too pretty as is to consider staining up the blade. But I have a couple of apples on my desk, and I'm getting pretty hungry. ;)

20201023-153624.jpg

20201023-153449.jpg

20201023-153355.jpg

20201023-153535.jpg

-- Mark

Last edited:
Never much of an impulse buyer, more than a year after this ^ post, I finally got my hands on a yella sowbelly TB3139 CV. Gotta say ..... I'm extremely happy with it. Case knocked it out of the park on this one! :thumbsup: There's so much to love about this knife. I'm a stickler for "pocketability," and with rounded bolsters and the tang well out of the way when closed, this sucker is virtually un-noticeable when I'm carrying it. I don't generally give much thought to the factory edge a knife comes with (I can put a good edge on in no time with a stone), but the folks at Case HQ did a good job on this one. I also like that the pins are very flush with the delrin scales. Pretty slick swedge on the front of the blade too. It's almost too pretty as is to consider staining up the blade. But I have a couple of apples on my desk, and I'm getting pretty hungry. ;)

20201023-153624.jpg

20201023-153449.jpg

20201023-153355.jpg

20201023-153535.jpg

-- Mark
Mark that a pretty yellow Sowbelly you finally picked up, it is a great pattern. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Back