Case Tony Bose Collabs pic and discussion thread.

So I got my cattle knife today. It’s OK but I don’t like the main blade as it seems the snap is much softer than the secondary blades. I do like the nail nicks are on the same side. Good fit and decent color on the scales. Will see if it grows on me. In comparison the muskrat has excellent snap on both blades. I am a bit picky about snap tho if it isn’t close to being a nail breaker I think it is too soft...I think my customs have spoiled me. Anyhow here is a pic...View attachment 1474325

Looks more like a Stockman to me. Cattle knives are equal ended.

Here it is... My first Case/Bose, the Cattle Knife.

I can only offer my initial impressions and will be evaluating it fully over the next few days. The seller, a member here, was completely up front with what he thought the flaws were on this knife. He sent pictures and a video so I felt very confident in buying this knife for the price he was asking. The first flaw he mentioned was a slight gap at the bolster. It does have a slight gap, but it's not too bad at all. I'd expect no gaps at this price, but it's completely livable for me. The second thing he mentioned was a lighter pull on the main blade. I agree that the pull is lighter than the secondary blades but it's well within what I would consider to be acceptable. Besides the two he mentioned, I think there is slight blade rub on the secondary blades, I can't see it but i can feel it.

The F&F is almost perfect besides those small issues. The bone handles have beautiful color and jigging, the finish on the blades and bolsters is perfect, all the blades are nice and 'snappy', the back spring is perfectly flush in all positions on all three blades, and everything is just beautifully finished. The thing I like most is the design of the knife, and that's what really makes the knife worth the money. The blades all sit low, all the nicks on the same side and accessible, the slanted bolsters, the swedge work, it's all fabulous.

I've often wondered if a Case built knife was worth this amount of money and I'd say it was definitely worth at least what I paid for it. Which could be dangerous for my pocket book in the future. They definitely are a step above the usual production knives I've bough so far and I'm happy I finally pulled the trigger. :cool::thumbsup:

Glad you guys like your new "cattle" knives; I sure like mine. I have no idea what the marketing people at CASE were thinking. It is not a cattle knife at all, but a stockman. No cattle knife has a serpentine frame. I see this kind of mis-naming nonsense from other cutleries on different subjects. Whatever-- they are nice knives.

Tony said it was a very early diamond edge pattern. He made a real beauty years ago with creamy ivory covers. This was well before the collaboration appeared. IIRC, it was being called a cattle knife at that time but I never heard Tony say yay or nay on it.

I set up a "piggy bank" and kept adding a few dollars here and there from random knife sales.
It took about a year to save up enough "extra money" before I had enough to pull the trigger.

I'm glad you asked...
I'm conflicted. On one hand it is a really great knife that is very useful and brings pride of ownership. On the other hand, it brings feelings of guilt to carry and use a knife this expensive when I have so many others that I like and wouldn't care if they got lost or damaged. Time will tell if I stick with it or end up displaying it front and center in my small collection.
I hope you can enjoy it, that’s what it’s for; but I know what you’re talking about and I think I would have the same feelings. That guilt/worry is one of the things that keeps me from spending a lot on a knife.

I’ve never used a custom knife. The 2020 BF viper is probably the closest thing I have to what I imagine a custom would be like. Are the Case/Bose collabs noticeably “nicer” than that?

Are the Case/Bose collabs noticeably “nicer” than that?
In my opinion, yes.
There are things that I wasn't expecting when I bought the Case/Bose and hadn't experienced before. Things like how well the materials are finished, the attention to detail, how the blades all fit tight in the blade well without rubbing, the crispness of the swedge work, back springs flush with all the blades in all positions, the way the blade almost seamlessly meets the back spring when opened, and much more. If it weren't for some very minor gaps in the liners, this knife would be as close to perfect as I could imagine. The money is definitely in the details.

In my opinion, yes.
There are things that I wasn't expecting when I bought the Case/Bose and hadn't experienced before. Things like how well the materials are finished, the attention to detail, how the blades all fit tight in the blade well without rubbing, the crispness of the swedge work, back springs flush with all the blades in all positions, the way the blade almost seamlessly meets the back spring when opened, and much more. If it weren't for some very minor gaps in the liners, this knife would be as close to perfect as I could imagine. The money is definitely in the details.

And it won't rust, patina or "pepper-spot" :)

Well now with all this talk of the cattle knife...

I like the spear main better on my Reese Bose. The double clip blade on the Case/Bose variant is still cool however and I used to have one in ebony. I’m sure I’ll have another one at some point since the pattern is really nice all around.

lrU5qxQ.jpg

u4ULBhr.jpg

ngfwLLR.jpg

Dxj6Fur.jpg

3UhGxjC.jpg

While I'm not a big fan of the spear blade in general, that is a super cool knife. :cool::thumbsup:

I don’t care for spear single blades but these multiblades give you all the options you need!

To comment on your precious post also, my Case Bose cattle knife was the same as yours, awesome fit and action with just a couple very slight liner gaps. Those didn’t bother me much at all, the knife was too well constructed everywhere else to really pay attention to them. Also, the gaps were only the outside liners which makes me wonder if the natural scale materials aren’t responsible for it.

To comment on your precious post also, my Case Bose cattle knife was the same as yours, awesome fit and action with just a couple very slight liner gaps. Those didn’t bother me much at all, the knife was too well constructed everywhere else to really pay attention to them. Also, the gaps were only the outside liners which makes me wonder if the natural scale materials aren’t responsible for it.
I agree... The slight gap isn't enough to take away from all the other stuff that is so nicely done.

Well now with all this talk of the cattle knife...

I like the spear main better on my Reese Bose. The double clip blade on the Case/Bose variant is still cool however and I used to have one in ebony. I’m sure I’ll have another one at some point since the pattern is really nice all around.

lrU5qxQ.jpg

u4ULBhr.jpg

ngfwLLR.jpg

Dxj6Fur.jpg

3UhGxjC.jpg

With the exception of the spear main blade, the polished bolsters & blades, that looks exactly like the T. Bose collab.

With the exception of the spear main blade, the polished bolsters & blades, that looks exactly like the T. Bose collab.

Same exact pattern, size and all. Tony and Reese had been making these prior to the collaboration with Case, both with clip and spear main blades, some also have punches as a secondary.

Last edited:
I’m new to the website. Signed up because I’m looking to purchase a Tony Bose Case Cattle Knife. New for new condition with great finish and snap. I’ve handled a couple of these and it’s my favorite pattern ever, but the main clip blade was mushy on both. Looking to acquire a really nice one. Thanks.

Back