case trapper and mini trapper

I started off by saying I'm only going to get a few stockmans...but I'm looking alot at the case trapper and mini trapper I think the mini would be nice for edc, and the large one for out in the scrub, what's the popular concensus on the knives??any one have pics in hand for scale??? I like to double or tiple up on users and these are cheap enough and accessible enough (yellow handles) to get stockpile a few, any thoughts?

I like the mini if I'm carryin it in pocket.. The trapper really feels good in hand though(I have fairly big hands)... Hard to go wrong with either one

I EDC a rosewood trapper sometimes now. Feels good in my hand. I do have a couple of the Marbles Trappers coming in the mail. I don't know how good those are. You can't lose with a Case. I think the trapper is their most practical blade design in my opinion.

I've given some though to the tiny trapper (not the mini), but I'm not buying anymore Case until the summer when I may be visiting their HQ in Bradford, PA. Then I can see and handle a bunch.

Here you go:
DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

trappers.jpg

I like the large Trapper Models and I think that they might be a basis for a small collection as Case has them in several different offerings.
One of my daily carries is a yellow Large Trapper on belt sheath.
For a daily carry work type knife , one of my favorites is the large Sodbuster pattern.
Zeke

Not too long back a Chestnut, smooth-bone, Case mini-trapper so enamored me that it became my exclusive carry for months. I got it pretty much by accident. I popped in during the last bit of an auction on the bay and snagged it, new, for $27 if I recall. Only after I'd bought it did I realize it was a mini-trapper. I was concerned about if I'd really like it. Well, I didn't like it, I LOVED it! It made a fantastic EDC knife. Excellent F&F, very sharp blades out of the box. For the longest time all I did was strop it on some bare leather for touch ups. This has Tru-sharp blades by the way as does my favorite Case full size trapper. Which btw, also is tops in the F&F and came ripping sharp right out of the box. It also has cool, hand engraved bolsters on it. I often carried that sweetie in my jeans when not at work.

I will note that I had a yellow handled, Case trapper in CV that just seemed too blocky for me to carry. I ended up giving it to a friend for his birthday. The slimline, bare head trapper in the same materials though, along with the soddie jr. and the peanut, made a great carry knife.

Mini-trapper for EDC? :thumbup: Oh yeah!

I've had both and i keep coming back to the full size trapper{yellow scales, cv} the mini is a nice knife but it never holds my interest.

you guys find the trapper to big to use?? I have a case large stockman and the handle sticks ou tof my hand 1/4 inch on each side....feels cumbersome...I still love it though...it's built like a tank.

I've got the yellow Case Mini Trapper in CV. I think it is a great size for pocket carry and everyday cutting tasks.

I also have trappers in the same size (about 3.5") from Queen and Buck.

5105561710-P1010317.JPG

Case yellow handled Barehead Slimline Trappers, Trappers and Mini-Trappers are old proven workhorses.
My personal favs and preferences,

Determining factors for each person is hand size.
The unwritten rule is put closed knife into hand and look a the the width of palm and closed length.

-Slimline is lighter, slimmer and fits my hands, with or without gloves.
Comfortable even in non-jeans/ or non-"work britches" - such as dress, or dress casual.
Gloves, this works great wearing gloves...
Many folks today do not thing about gloves and knife use.

-Trapper
is heavier and more noticeable due to heft and size in a pocket.
With Gloves, this knife really comes into understanding why this knife and the big Stockman, are proven with Farmers, Ranchers and Outdoorsman not only hunting, trapping any activity such as marking timber in the timber industry or Fruit Growers...etc

-Mini Trapper carries real well, and being a bit smaller and lighter, works better in non fancy britches.
Gloves are not a problem.
In my opinion and experience, smaller hands (ladies and gents )work well with this knife and since it fits better - nothing is lost to the Trapper.

Slimline only affords one blade.
Trapper and Mini Trapper affords two blades.

Combo any way one chooses and they cannot go wrong, IMO/IME even two Mini's make nice combo...

Steve

I like both, and have many of both. As for new production knives, I like the queen versions of both patterns better than case, although the Queen full size trapper pattern has LONG blades. They seem way longer than the case style trappers, but the clip blade shape is nicer. In new production bone handle knives, the new Cases are heavier than most others I have. Eye brand trappers are nice, and I have a couple of Kissing Cranes that are fantastic, but they are hard to find in carbon steel now - as the new ones are all 440 stainless made in China I think.

I really like the Queen/MM in the mini trapper. I like older cases in both patterns, but the full size trappers are too expensive in the older ones when you can find 'em.

Case makes a two blade jack version of the 6392 stockman that is a perfect compromise between the full size trapper and the mini. It's a 6292 or 3292 or 5292, although I only ever see them with bone handles.

I just bought the mini trapper, yellow handle cv, to try out as an edc if it goes well I'm sure the full size will follow

Yellow CV Trapper riding in my pocket right now(got it for Christmas)---doesn't seem too big to me--but I seem to EDC a lot of stuff anyway.

My Amber bone CV Trapper is now serving kitchen duty to gain a patina---for the time being.

I recently bought a Case wharncliffe mini trapper. It was inspired by Tony Bose for Case. Great all around especially with the wharncliffe blade.

Mini trapper in the kaki's at work, trapper in the jeans on the weekends, you can't go wrong. :D

-Brad

Back