Case Whaler

Anyone on here have any general information or history of the WR Case Whaler? I know Case stopped making it a while ago?

Anyone on here have any general information or history of the WR Case Whaler? I know Case stopped making it a while ago?
Case's version of the standard sailor's rope knife. The Case 1199 SH R in stainless seems to have first appeared in about 1960, although the slightly smaller 11031 SH goes back to the pre 1940's Tested days.

The New England Whaler pattern goes back at least to the mid 19th century, an example is part of the cargo from the steamboat Arabia. Here is a general thread about the pattern from a while back:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sailors-of-the-sheepsfoot-main.1585606/

Hope this helps!

B Bartleby the Case 11031SH is a single blade sheepsfoot in a near teardrop ("swell end"?) handle, with walnut covers. (I had one until it "grew legs" and went AWOL, a couple years ago.)
The Case "Whaler" or "Sunfish" or large Elephant Toenail, is a equal end two blade, spear point master and pen secondary, very close to the GEC 36, and I think 46.
I don't recall if the Case Sunfish had a swell center, or if it was ever offered as a sleeve board.

Case Whaler and the Case Rope knife are similar patterns. The Whaler has an end cap and the rope knife is a barehead. The blade on the rope knife has a long pull and the sheepfoot pattern blade more pronounced. Slight other variations with or without bale or whale etch on the whaler and no swedge sometimes on the rope knife.

Russell

3F19A189-59DC-4A99-A8F5-ACA2153CF65E.jpeg

5334750C-BCA8-4629-ABEA-BE7E3499AABB.jpeg

The Case "Whaler" or "Sunfish" or large Elephant Toenail, is a equal end two blade, spear point master and pen secondary, very close to the GEC 36, and I think 46.
I don't recall if the Case Sunfish had a swell center, or if it was ever offered as a sleeve board.

Good to know mate, I stand corrected! Thanks!

Back