Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

About the worst cast iron pan with very thick layer of crud I cleaned up. I found a larger pan ,set the smaller into the larger, .and filled with water and tri-sodium phosphate , and simmered it until the crud was dissolved !! Right down to bare metal then cured it properly . Saved that one ! :D

I see that Lodge now has single serving pans ! One 3" and another 4" dia Perfect for a one dish meal .

I don't know a way to remove fish flavor from a pan without removing all oil and fat as that's where the smell and flavor has been absorbed . Boiling water with detergent and maybe some washing soda should do it . The cure.

Polyethylene ,often used for food containers absorbs smells , flavors and chemicals very readily ! soaking overnight in water and baking soda usually will remove that.

Strange that my 1970s Becker Book ,JOC, doesn't mention any of this ! :( :D

Found myself a nice piece at the local thrift store for $10, looks like a one-time-use piece with almost no evidence of being used, no rust or any real evidence it was ever used. I’m sure I can find something for it to do...

8ACB55E5-8054-421C-8A70-933CD5B80D5E.jpeg CD169717-8FD3-431D-9A3C-6D0444BFC160.jpeg

That plate is Corelle, a special glass that takes going from hot to cool without breaking ! Have had the same pattern for many years .Very happy with it. If you drop it on a hard surface it will shatter into a million pieces ! Many the size of grains of salt !

That plate is Corelle, a special glass that takes going from hot to cool without breaking ! Have had the same pattern for many years .Very happy with it. If you drop it on a hard surface it will shatter into a million pieces ! Many the size of grains of salt !
Yea, it's no joke if you drop em, you will be finding little slivers for ever. Surprisingly they still make this pattern my wife just got a couple of replacements .

5e0302753f561885a52a86a018357f9f--irons.jpg

Ok let's play name that cast iron cooking accessory.

It is for cooking a very specific food item and this is a very unusual example of such.
Each of the 12 cups measure 2" across, 1" deep.

This is not my photo, but I have a nearly identical example. Anybody else have one?
I'll bet somebody here knows what it is.

It is for cooking a very specific food item and this is a very unusual example of such.

This is not my photo, but I have a nearly identical example. Anybody else have one?
Half of a cannonball mold ? :D

Eggs would have been my first guess also. What about Whoopie Pies, take two halves and sandwich the whip cream?

Looks like an old Waterman cast iron muffin pan Number 9 popover.

Yes, I Googled it. :D

OK a couple of hints and an acknowledgement that I did not know what this was when I acquired it. I had to do research to identify it. It is a vintage item. There is some question as to exactly WHAT the manufacturer intended to be cooked in it. I believe it is misidentified by most sellers and is actually a variance of something to cook an ethnic food item. Most of these are intended to be used on a stovetop, but this is used on a grill like the old fashioned folding hibachi grill.
Son-of-Hibachi-Combo-with-Snuff-out-Pouch.jpg

I have tested my theory by cooking some of the items, and it works as described. It takes some technique to use.

Half of a cannonball mold ? :D
NO! Used to make a specific FOOD ITEM. However, I will say the food item when cooked will be the same shape as a cannonball.

Egg poacher pan, but could also be used for muffins, biscuits or cup cakes, if so desired.
Perhaps. I'm sure you COULD use it for a number of items, to which some of these are in seller's descriptions, but not what I believe is accurate.

I'm guessing corn bread.
Again, you COULD, but not what I'm looking for.

Good guesses. Still looking for the right answer.

Eggs would have been my first guess also. What about Whoopie Pies, take two halves and sandwich the whip cream?
Whoopie Pies.... extra credit for creative thinking, but, no.

Looks like an old Waterman cast iron muffin pan Number 9 popover.

Yes, I Googled it. :D

You may have googled it, but in this case, one needs to dig a little deeper. It has a number, but is not 9. No manufacturer name. Again, I think that most cast iron collectors are not familiar with the food item it makes and misidentify it. Or maybe they are right and I am wrong. It could be that the people cooking this particular food item I am looking for, found this worked well for their purposes. I base my opinion on the fact I can't find any recipes requiring this type of pan for the items they claim it was made for. It has a round bottom for a reason. A flat spot on the bottom would not work to cook what I am looking for.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

popover pan was my first thought, too -- now I'm going to have to think more.
cheating led me to an answer -- possibly even "the" answer -- if you think chewy crusts are the definition of all that is good and right in the world.

hqdefault.jpg

Calling Chef Becker! Chef Ethan Becker! Can you identify?
( I can't find them listed in Joy of Cooking)
220px-Childs_Joy_of_Cooking.JPG

Last edited:
When somebody comes up with the answer, I have video demonstrating how this is used to make
the food item.

Danish pastry/pancake maker. From Wiki:

Æbleskiver "Pancake Puffs" (Danish pronunciation: [ˈɛːbləˌsɡiːwɐ], [singular: æbleskive]), also called "appleskives" are traditional pancakes in a distinctive shape of a sphere. The name literally means apple slices in Danish, although apples are not usually an ingredient in present-day versions. Somewhat similar in texture to European pancakescrossed with a popover or Yorkshire pudding, æbleskiver are solid like a pancake but light and fluffy like a popover.

Danish pastry/pancake maker. From Wiki:

Æbleskiver "Pancake Puffs" (Danish pronunciation: [ˈɛːbləˌsɡiːwɐ], [singular: æbleskive]), also called "appleskives" are traditional pancakes in a distinctive shape of a sphere. The name literally means apple slices in Danish, although apples are not usually an ingredient in present-day versions. Somewhat similar in texture to European pancakescrossed with a popover or Yorkshire pudding, æbleskiver are solid like a pancake but light and fluffy like a popover.
giphy.gif

Congratulations Aikiguy! Inquiring minds want to know, how did you know this? I have never had an aebleskiver that anyone else has cooked. What I made was good, but I have nothing to compare to. I have read some folks stuff with other ingredients other than fruit or jam, like seafood. There is an Asian dish that looks similar and is cooked in a similar manner, but I can't remember the name offhand.

This first video shows them cooking the Aebleskivers at an outdoor market. Notice the pans they use are very similar to mine. The second video shows a more traditional pan used on a stove and has more detail on the cooking technique. The cooking technique is the same for either pan.

I'm thinking this might be an interesting addition to a Becker gathering in the future.

Back