Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

I humbly accept my 10 Becker Points…

I dated this girl, like a hundred years ago, and we went to something called “Heritage Days Festival” here. Tons of different cultures come and put on shows, and (more importantly) have a huge outdoors food court area. One of the booths made us some crunchy-chewy pancake ball things. Think they were stuffed with fruit? They had a round skillet, with divots cut in it, kinda like your second vid. I just remember she cooked one half, flipped it over, and it magically turned into a sphere. Don’t remember the country, no idea what they were called, so I google-fu’d “pancake ball pan” :D

Unfortunately Aikiguy, awarding Becker points is above my pay grade here. But I am pleased to send a jumbo 50 lb. bag of self esteem to you. Well done. I was guessing it would be somebody that had eaten one, that got the right answer.

I hope my detour on this thread was enjoyable and interesting. Uncle E, would love to know if you are familiar with the Aebleskiver and if you can add anything about them. I think they will make interesting camp food.

I would rather have Whoopie pies, Chocolate, Banana bread, Corn bread, Blueberry bread for the halves, all stuffed with different creams....mmmmm.

giphy.gif

Congratulations Aikiguy! Inquiring minds want to know, how did you know this? I have never had an aebleskiver that anyone else has cooked. What I made was good, but I have nothing to compare to. I have read some folks stuff with other ingredients other than fruit or jam, like seafood. There is an Asian dish that looks similar and is cooked in a similar manner, but I can't remember the name offhand.

This first video shows them cooking the Aebleskivers at an outdoor market. Notice the pans they use are very similar to mine. The second video shows a more traditional pan used on a stove and has more detail on the cooking technique. The cooking technique is the same for either pan.

I'm thinking this might be an interesting addition to a Becker gathering in the future.

Awesome. Nearly five years later, and this thread continues to kick butt.
So much so that I'll eventually try to go back and add some images where Photo*uckit zapped my old pics.

People seem to really like cast iron cookware. I have a few pieces that Ive used off and on for 30 years. I have a lil (maybe 10 inch) skillet that is does great for pan frying almost anything. I have this newer Lodge dutch oven type pot that turns anything you cook in it grey. Im not much on eating grey food. I dont know if that is a normal thing or just something I screwed up. It has definitely turned me off of ever using it. Any help would be appreciated. Any ideas?

I love these small pans for cooking eggs and muffins. Also great for single serve stuffing. Notice the handles are flat sometimes I heat 2 pans and use one as a lid. Like a teeny tiny Dutch oven. Great way to cook eggs for sandwiches. 82D5BF8B-E1E1-449C-A160-7370FCAEFC3B.jpeg

Last edited:
My dad had a Dutch oven he used a lot. I need to get it from my moms house. But I’m honestly not that interested in using it for some reason. Even though it is right up my alley. I only cook on cast iron or stainless steel.

FD04449E-1695-438A-9C0A-EEA25E1CA08A.jpeg

Last edited:
Xr6x, that grill has steak written ALL over it!
Everything I ever needed to know about cast iron cooking, Kent probably shewed me already in a video or two. :D

People seem to really like cast iron cookware. I have a few pieces that Ive used off and on for 30 years. I have a lil (maybe 10 inch) skillet that is does great for pan frying almost anything. I have this newer Lodge dutch oven type pot that turns anything you cook in it grey. Im not much on eating grey food. I dont know if that is a normal thing or just something I screwed up. It has definitely turned me off of ever using it. Any help would be appreciated. Any ideas?
Lodge type or Lodge ? I have a Lodge Dutch Oven it legs for so you can use hot coals top and bottom it works well. I'll have to take some pic next time . It sounds like you may need to star over and wash it real good than season it. I almond bought one at a discount store it smelled like penetrating oil, it was from overseas :eek: it should have stayed there in my book ;) the Lodge was already seasoned works fine :thumbsup: tomatoes or suger stuff will affect the seasoning and will cause sticking but grey I'am thinking might be some sort of oil protectant not removed. Maybe o_O? I don't really know :thumbsup:

Lodge type or Lodge ? I have a Lodge Dutch Oven it legs for so you can use hot coals top and bottom it works well. I'll have to take some pic next time . It sounds like you may need to star over and wash it real good than season it. I almond bought one at a discount store it smelled like penetrating oil, it was from overseas :eek: it should have stayed there in my book ;) the Lodge was already seasoned works fine :thumbsup: tomatoes or suger stuff will affect the seasoning and will cause sticking but grey I'am thinking might be some sort of oil protectant not removed. Maybe o_O? I don't really know :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Xr6x Xr6x It is a Lodge brand. I have stayed away from the non branded cast iron. I will try to clean all the way down and re-season. Hopefully I can post a pic of something delicious that doesnt turn out grey.

Lodge gets a lot of grief over their pebbly surface.

So as an experiment I bought Some 4inch pans. One I machined the inside and sanded it until it was smooth. I had a very difficult time seasoning it.

Now that it is seasoned. I don’t see any difference in use compared to the others I left original.

I am leary of used flea market cast iron. I have seen too many lead ingots shaped like pans and even corn bread.

The lead leaves no visual trace in the pan. In fact they end up looking brand new due to the heat.

Back