Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

Received an indoor old style Dutch oven last Xmas :) cooked a chicken with onions, potatoes and carrots. After removing all the goodies. I stirred in some flower on the stove for some gravy ;)
1A470E09-170F-41A6-9F2C-FC69773F8168.jpeg B0EBF257-C3A7-445D-9FC0-533DF25BA95E.jpeg BB6011B6-4D57-46E1-885C-9B4BEF7FC4E0.jpeg BDFEA10D-E315-4DFE-A0AB-5A6CBF02759A.jpeg

Talk about comfort food! WOW! :D Have a Dutch oven with legs for the outdoors :thumbsup: I forgot how DELICIOUS the food is using these :)

50900500238_8153f101fa_c.jpg

Spoonbread! If you're from the South, you know how good this is. Loved it as a kid, and trying to come up with the perfect recipe to be as good as I remember.

50900500238_8153f101fa_c.jpg

Spoonbread! If you're from the South, you know how good this is. Loved it as a kid, and trying to come up with the perfect recipe to be as good as I remember.

"Yankee" here......so IDK what it tastes like, but I Love the color!

Xr6x Xr6x That chicken looks great. I learned how to make roux and have not used flour in my gravy since. It makes a big difference.

It’s fun to make and you make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. So it’s super convenient.

Roux seems to come out best if you use a cast iron pan and a cypress spoon. So it fits right into this thread. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of it.

Last edited:
Xr6x Xr6x That chicken looks great. I learned how to make roux and have not used flour in my gravy since. It makes a big difference.

It’s fun to make and you make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. So it’s super convenient.

Roux seems to come out best if you use a cast iron pan and a cypress spoon. So it fits right into this thread. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of it.
Thanks. We need at least the recipe of your Roux :). By the way eveled, I did give the deboning a chicken a try :p.It’s amazing how easy it looked in the video. I need a lot more practice. :rolleyes:

No pictures of your first Gallatine chicken? I hope it was a success. Good for you for giving it a try.

Roux is just equal parts oil and flour. Heat the oil then stir in the flour. Then keep stirring until it is the color you want it to be.

You are toasting the flour. So it starts white then transitions to a tan color then to peanut butter eventually it will be as dark as chocolate. The trick is to keep stirring and scraping so it toasts but never burns.

A French chef would use a wire whisk, but a Cajun would use a wooden spoon. I use a “Bubba spoon”. Made from cypress wood flat on the end for scraping the bottom curved on the side for scraping the side of the pan.

The lady I learned from said the first step to making roux is to use the bathroom because once you start stirring you cannot stop for anything. Keep the heat at about medium and keep stirring.

The darker it is the stronger the flavor and the less it thickens the sauce.

Light roux is the base for cheese sauces, like for macaroni and cheese.

Tan is good for turkey or sausage gravy.

Darker is for beef stew, even darker for gumbo.

put it in a jar then store it in the fridge. It keeps for months. When you make your gravy scoop out a spoonful and stir it in. It melts right in and starts to thicken. You will be amazed. No chasing the little pockets of flour around and the flavor is amazing.

Last edited:
4DF9CC69-3C45-4E11-9F0B-B1E0C627ED24.jpeg I just checked Bubba spoons are no longer made. It seems Bubba passed on, and production stopped. I wish I ordered a couple extras. But the ones I have should last a lifetime.

The small one is 15 inches, the big one is like a paddle.

RIP Jimmy

Last edited:
Thanks eveled :thumbsup: For some reason I thought you weren’t using any flour at all :). Now I see that you have a convenient and tasty way of having an Roux ready to go for what ever and that’s is a great idea. Thanks for that info :thumbsup::thumbsup:. My hat is off to you again for the Excellent job you did on your boneless Turkey ;) The chicken I attempted tasted fine but looked like it was involved in an explosion. I will keep trying :D
Here’s a pic of my boneless chicken :p:p
AF135A51-8DB2-4209-8AA1-1F0ADC77645E.jpeg
I did manage to tie it up. Most of the skin is gone from rough handling :p

Last edited:
Of the cast iron pieces I've gotten a hold of, that 12 inch skillet gets the most grease. It is the easiest to fit in a whole slice of bacon (until they shrink) and once they do, I got plenty of room for a couple of eggs or toast or spuds. A wooden spatula and an English muffin polish the seasoning up just perfect afterward.
(Now to find a good use for old bacon grease. I wonder if it would fuel a forge?)

Of the cast iron pieces I've gotten a hold of, that 12 inch skillet gets the most grease. It is the easiest to fit in a whole slice of bacon (until they shrink) and once they do, I got plenty of room for a couple of eggs or toast or spuds. A wooden spatula and an English muffin polish the seasoning up just perfect afterward.
(Now to find a good use for old bacon grease. I wonder if it would fuel a forge?)

whatever you do, don't make "goop".
maybe bacon fat lamps?

Damm! Tri Tip Roast cooked with onions, tatters and carrots in a Dutch Oven is lip smacking good :thumbsup::thumbsup: and can’t forget gravy :)
AC9CF701-78D9-4CA4-AFD0-BF551AD21019.jpeg 018F4D3A-AB42-44E7-87C7-3C6CC94BB544.jpeg E1DB4646-A3BD-415D-B80C-6BB8E4B16FAF.jpeg
I apologize for the sideways pics. I don’t know why they posted that way :confused:

Back