Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

X-Man you should start a Beckerhead recipe thread to go along with your dishes. I would but the only ingredients would be bacon or pulled pork
That's a great idea! I would contriubute, although most of mine are breakfast and side dishes...

i gots a cast iron pizza plate and a dutch oven thingy originally to put inside my big green egg

but i got into deep fried turkey / steamer kits with OUTDOOR ONLY danger propane kit recently, so i can do double duty with THAT

we're not even going to talk about the lodge standard hibachi i haven't used yet :p

i think my original idea was to get a proper container so i could do paella or similar on the grill...

other than THAT, i'm a cast iron heathen, and have been looking to score TWO semi-deep skillets for a while now...

mostly because of the possibility that they retain their heat for things like: alton brown style grilled cheese, and properly searing a steak for bake, and other antics.

i am strongly tempted to just "buy what's on amazon", but tbh, years of looking at antique stores only shows me what greed looks like. all them fancy ones, turned and polished and stuff, are $$$ and shameful, if not pretty :)

what should i get?
I can help. Just PM me your shipping info 👍

I like SMOOTH-ground cast iron. This is my home set, from left to right (someone else asked this week and the picture is handy):

* 12" Stargazer (fantastic modern execution)
* #8 Griswold (similar size to a 10.5" Stargazer)
* #6 Griswold
* #3 Griswold

The #6 and #8 get the most use. If I didn't have the #8 I'd consider dropping the coin on the 10.5" Stargazer. Vintage Griswold in decent shape has gotten out of sight (bought, cleaned, kept, gifted ~9 pieces at flea markets over the years). I have a 3, 8, and 9 at the cabin too (yeah, bragging a bit). My only complaint with the 'Gazer stuff is that the combination of handles takes up too much room around the stove and in the oven. They have a new 13" brasier coming out (two small handles), but I don't cook that big ever.

The rough surface, excessive weight & thermal mass on the modern Lodge stuff drives me nuts.
I don't like enameled because you can't season it. It's a different way to solve the surface texture problem, and you get the thermal properties of cast iron, but...
You can season modern plain steel pans easier. I've never tried seasoning stainless, nor googling if that works.

IMG_20220114_124949-small.jpg
The Griswolds are lovely. And how the heck have I never heard of the Stargazer? Looks incredible and very reasonably priced all things considered. Might have to get one! Have you had any issues from a design/construction perspective?
That's a great idea! I would contriubute, although most of mine are breakfast and side dishes...
Nothing wrong with breakfast or side dishes!

The Griswolds are lovely. And how the heck have I never heard of the Stargazer? Looks incredible and very reasonably priced all things considered. Might have to get one! Have you had any issues from a design/construction perspective?

Stargazer only sells direct, and they're fairly new. Given the inflated cost of vintage Griswold that you often then have to invest a bunch of work into anyway, I'd say Stargazer is reasonably priced. Compare it to other upscale quality cookware, not to Lodge. Construction seems first-rate to me, and the design is very good with the exception of how long the handle is. I'd rather have no small handle or have a shorter long handle.

:thumbsup: This is what I followed for the crust: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220996/easy-homemade-pie-crust/

I didn't follow an exact recipe for the filling, but it's a mix of beef, onion, potatoes, and spices. I believe it's traditionally a Christmas dish, so a lot of the earthy spices like clove, allspice, cinnamon, etc...
Dang that sounds great!

This reminds me a little of BBC’s Victorian Farm and all the associated Christmas Specials. I got my wife to binge them with me, as well as Edwardian Farm, Wartime Farm, Tudor Monestary, etc. Every time Ruth Goodman made a meat pie we payed extra close attention. Fun stuff. Thanks again for the inspiration. That looks like it came out just perfect.

My cast iron is all regular lodge.

I take the time to deburr & smooth out the entire pan. Handle, edges & cooking surface. I use a Dremel, a black and decker RO sander & just plain 1" wide abrasive cloth.

It kinda sucks that you have to do that but I think it is no different than buying a great knife with a crappy sheath, it keeps the cost down and achieves the same thing when all is said and done. It is like having acustom sheath made for your favorite knife: it bonds you to it more and everyone likes something a little bit different. I don't mind it.

My cast iron is all regular lodge.

I take the time to deburr & smooth out the entire pan. Handle, edges & cooking surface. I use a Dremel, a black and decker RO sander & just plain 1" wide abrasive cloth.

It kinda sucks that you have to do that but I think it is no different than buying a great knife with a crappy sheath, it keeps the cost down and achieves the same thing when all is said and done. It is like having acustom sheath made for your favorite knife: it bonds you to it more and everyone likes something a little bit different. I don't mind it.

I'd argue that it's more like buying a rusty knife. ;)

It's a valid approach, of course: You can pay the manufacturer for their tools, labor, and precision and receive a finished product, or you can can "pay" yourself to do it.

I tried RO-sanding a small (8"?) Wagner pan years ago (my firstr!) and didn't get far enough in a reasonable amount of time to continue. I've essentially retired the pan (though it's hanging up in the kitchen).

I also debur and finish my pans i don't mind at all. I can do a better job then they can. I guess what I’m saying is I’d rather grind off extra than have them grind off too much.

I also debur and finish my pans i don't mind at all. I can do a better job then they can. I guess what I’m saying is I’d rather grind off extra than have them grind off too much.

I'm sure you do a great job.
However, if you haven't seen Stargazer's finish, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, nor to assume that they are error prone.

I've just been pointed to Smithey cast iron online. Looks cheaper than Stargazer, US-made. Also more bowl-like profiles, which is cool if you want a continuous interior curve vs. a sharp corner at the sidewall.

Back