Casual Wear for Beckerheads

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Let's talk clothing. Specifically outdoor clothing.
Moose and I have had a couple of conversations along this line, and he can offer up a lot.
I fully expect him to chime in here with talk of brands, stitch count, country of origin, fabric weight, etc.

So what kind of stuff do you like to wear in the outdoors? Brand names, styles, fabrics, whatever...
Some of this talk will be season-specific, so feel free to let loose with spring, summer, winter, or fall choices. Anything goes.

For summer, I really like poly wear that wicks sweat and cools/dries fast.
Ethan, on the other hand, likes cotton and noted that he doesn't like the feel of poly at all.
Lately, I've been into the poly fishing shirts (short and long sleeve) made by Columbia, Cabelas, Natural Gear, World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro), etc.
I really like the long sleeve versions for paddling. They're cool, and they keep the sun off your arms on long day trips.
Moreover, they usually have good pockets for gear, and some sort of vent system. And they pack down nice and compact.
I've seen them with SPF ratings and even built-in bug repellent. :confused:
Anyway, here's the style I'm talking about...

realtree_fishing-supplex-longsleeve-shirt-khaki-400.jpg

On the shorts front, I was psyched to find some nice hiking shorts for a steal at a local warehouse store (hint: it rhymes with Cam's Slub).
Good pockets in the style I like and will handle a 1.5" belt. Also, a bonus...
The right front pocket has a slip pocket that is perfect for a BK-11 in sheath. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shorts.jpg
    Shorts.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 325
I'd be down for a plain old cotton t shirt with the logo. K.I.S.S. is a good motto, probably help keep the cost down too!

Nothing wrong with cotton t-shirts in summer, but in my experience, they really do not dry as fast as poly shirts.
And of course, in the winter time, there's a reason they call cotton the "fabric of death."
I found out why firsthand on a trip to the Appalachian Trail about 17 years ago.
We weren't expecting temps to drop into the teens. That was my first and last encounter with hypothermia.

Good point definitely not the best for summer. I have some Columbia polo free that are lightweight/ breathable, and love em. Will there be one type of clothing or possibly a few? I know here in Ohio I wear the Hell out of hoodies in winter and fall

I am often found in some 5.11 tac-lite pro pants, light hiking shoes, cotton shirt, wool long sleeve shirt, disgustingly dirty carhatt vest.

I usually don't wear a shirt, if I do its a white/black cotton t-shirt or a wife beater shirt (MY FAV), as for pants I usually just wear Buckle Brand Jeans or canvas/khaki shorts.

I need to find some kind of pants for hiking, jeans suck....

Been also thinking about trying out some Under Armour shirts

Last edited:
Most of the time I wear Helikon Special Forces Pants, they have the perfect pockets for me, because there are some small pockets a bit lower than the main pockets, I carry my phone and SAK in the left and Space Pen, Flashlight and Firesteel in the right one. My all time favorite outdoors shirt is my scouts shirt, which was probably blue a few years ago. Faded out from sun and sweat. Cotton is the way to go for me, although I kinda like the ripstop nylon on a new pair of Helikon SF pants that I picked up.

I'll post a pic sometime. Not now, kinda drunk.

Yeah, boy, clothes for Beckerheads. I gots me some, and so does Biscuit.

Uncle E is a fan of the EOTACH stuff, and I do have to admit, the shirts are quite nice, but not really the best for summer. I generally take a long sleave "adventure" shirt with me for the mornings, but quickly retreat to the lower layers fast. Here in the summer, if its not breathable, its a tomb.

So, for my pics, I have to go with the GanderMountain Shirts and shorts. I tend to swing to the fishing apparel. Not that I fish all the time, but most stuff is a good blend, drys fast, and is light weight. The down side, they tend to wear out faster, and tear.

They have some really good cotton/nylon blends, in both shorts and shirts, but remember, mornings here are wet and cool, even in the summer, but temps warm up fast. Pants to shorts combo pants are really nice. I like long sleeve shirts, that roll up and button in place. My idea is to have cover for my skin, should I need it, say, mosquito swarms, or heavy trail walking.

Right now, I have the Propper 65/35 Cotton Canvas/Poly. They are tough as nails, well made, look good, and don't stain (teflon guard). Downside, they are heavy, and don't breath. Some days, you can sow corn in ma undies. I wear those for work and heavy play. When hitting the parks, and playing in or around water, I go with a light, breathable, fast drying blend, something in the Columbia, or Propper line. Not too expensive, and well made.

Don't over look China Mart either, they have some decent stuff, at reasonable price.

Moose

Flexx, if you're looking for some hiking pants the Bear Grylls Craghoppers pants are great, they are lightweight, dry fast and have lots of pockets.

Erdbeereis

Flexx, if you're looking for some hiking pants the Bear Grylls Craghoppers pants are great, they are lightweight, dry fast and have lots of pockets.

Erdbeereis

I have been eyeballin' those pants for a while now. Not sure if I would buy them, but they sure seem like some nice walkers, for sure.

Moose

For paddling it's hard to beat the long sleeve light colored poly Starter brand shirts from Chinamart. When they get funky, chuck em in the trash and pick up another one. Shorts for paddling I like 100% nylon with mesh lining for going commando. They have to have a zipper pocket somewhere to keep from losing important stuff when you dump. I've got three pairs of a Columbia style that they don't make anymore, so I guard them with my life. Hiking on the trails in summer usually just go with a light cotton poly blend shirt and carry a heavy cotton long sleeve shirt for around the campfire. I like heavy canvas shorts with a lot of pockets to hike in because they are tough. Gander Mountain fills the bill for both of those. Cool weather is the old three layer system with base, fleece, shell. Bushwhacking calls for tough pants and I like Carharts or Wrangler's Riggs workwear with a North Face or Patagonia thick poly/nylon top. I'm pretty intrigued by the Propper brand Moose was talking about at the gathering and plan to look into that line. Underwear you can get four days out of. Just switch em inside out and front to back.

I usually don't wear a shirt, if I do its a white/black cotton t-shirt or a wife beater shirt (MY FAV), as for pants I usually just wear Buckle Brand Jeans or canvas/khaki shorts.

Been also thinking about trying out some Under Armour shirts

I thought you just borrow a shirt from your daughter when you're in one of those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" scenarios :D

-Nadz

I thought you just borrow a shirt from your daughter when you're in one of those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" scenarios :D

-Nadz

I tried that once, she punched me in the eye...........NUFF SAID

When it's warm, cotton - probably shorts and some t-shirt.

When it's cold, wool - probably something like...

20110205_dc_d04.jpg

... or with a sillier (but warmer) hat ...

20091228_ac_02.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

I think that cotton would be a good choice, but I don't know much about this topic so I think I'll leave it to the ecperts. I just like the idea. :thumbup:

... or with a sillier (but warmer) hat ...

20091228_ac_02.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

Kahn, on most folks, that hat would look silly, but on you, I have to true awesomeness. No BS, I mean it. Kinda fits.

Moose

Since I am in the tropics and humid rainforest area, I tend to pack Columbia shirts and pants and some kayaking jerseys as they dry out fast and breath. We have hot and wet climate here and they can both happen the same day throughout the year. I have a pair of Taclite Pro but the pants just feel like a mobile steam bath in the jungle. Love the design though. Since most of my forays are into the jungle's riverine area, I use fast dry clothing. The NRS Crossover long sleeve shirt designed for kayaking. I wear sandals, a pair of Keen Newport H20 instead of boots most of the time. Boonie hat and Buff are great headgears in the tropics. I treat my clothes and packs with insect repellent (Dr Sawyer), except for the teflon treated Taclite Pro.

In the warm (hot) seasons , Columbia/North face/Vaude shorts and shirts . Tees for mid temps or as base layer in winter (I don't hike in winter) . When cycling , it's all cycling specific clothing for all seasons . I keep away from anything that will look like uniform - had to wear that for 3 years too many .
BTW , the most comfortable working clothes I ever wore where hospital uniform , many years ago when working as an orderly. No good for outdoors though .

Back