Casual Wear for Beckerheads

BTW , the most comfortable working clothes I ever wore where hospital uniform , many years ago when working as an orderly. No good for outdoors though .

I hike with a guy that always has a pair of scrubs pants in his pack. They are light, roll up to nothing and cheap. They are actually really good summer trail hiking gear.

I hike with a guy that always has a pair of scrubs pants in his pack. They are light, roll up to nothing and cheap. They are actually really good summer trail hiking gear.

Interesting . What about no pockets and belt loops ?

Well, while LadyMoose was shoppin' at WallyHell last night, I picked up a pair of American Angler shorts for $13. They fit the needs of typical hot humid weather/water involved activities. I'm gonna go out today and wear them, but they are nylon, lots of pockets, and light. Should be good for this weekends adventures, fishing and hangin' at the river in the mountains.

Moose

Interesting . What about no pockets and belt loops ?

Ask Flexxx. He manages to carry a knife without a sheath or belt. You'll need to work on your posterior muscles though. :p

And when you get right down to it, who really needs pockets? :D

412px-Ursula_Andress_in_bikini.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is how easily some of the synthetic fibers will go up like a candle if they catch an ember. I know I'm around fire alot.

I have found the wrangler rip stop pants at walmart work well they are more heavy duty than the onesI use to get at Gander Mt. and CHEAPER!! I ordered a pair of Wrangler Riggs pants they look very rugged. I were a Nike Drifit under what shirt I were. I have been looking into fishing shirts as well.

Another thing to consider is how easily some of the synthetic fibers will go up like a candle if they catch an ember. I know I'm around fire alot.

This is true. Last time I overnighted with a friend, I stirred the fire, his outer shell caught an ember, and it melted a hole in his sleeve. Lucky it just melted.

I'm looking into the Propper Tac Shorts now, and I think they will be arriving at my house, sooner than later. Those Propper pants I have are awesome. And, tough.

ETA I'm a slut. Propper Tac Shorts inbound.

Moose

Last edited:
Why don't we take a page from Moose's book and all wear kilts???

Just think about all the tactical advantages of a kilt.

100_0484.jpg

REI or North Face brand Zip-offs, Asolo boots, light colored/light weight t-shirts and wristbands.

Why don't we take a page from Moose's book and all wear kilts???

Just think about all the tactical advantages of a kilt.

100_0484.jpg

I actually have a ripstop, desert camo kilt. Yeah, it gets worn quite often in the summer. I plan wearing it when Tradewater and I go kayaking here soon. Commando? Nope, its called Regimental when you wear a kilt.

Moose

I actually have a ripstop, desert camo kilt. Yeah, it gets worn quite often in the summer. I plan wearing it when Tradewater and I go kayaking here soon. Commando? Nope, its called Regimental when you wear a kilt.

Moose

Rookie mistake. Gas emissions will float straight up into your face. You really need a filter. :D

I live in the colder part of the world, which you can probaly tell by my choice in clothes. Wind and rain are always a possibility when i hike and even in summer it gets chilly during the night.

My pants are a brand called Haglofs. Theyre reinforced at the seat, knees and ankles. Cargo pockets are a must for hiking. Theyre synthetic, light, windproof and extremely quick drying.

main_normal.png

Always pack a hardshell with me. I like The North Face. Pit-zips are a must, as is "Napleon pockets" so theyre accesible while wearing a hipbelt. My current one is made in PAcLite Gore-Tex which is lighter than the regular. Also have a heavy duty Mountain Hardwear hardshell for winter hiking. This one has a long cut, so your butt is covered, even while sitting. This one is also reinforced with some cordura-like material at the elbows, shoulders, etc. Its abit overbuilt for regular hiking. I save this one for harsh conditions.

S6001226-1.jpg

For snowy conditions i use a Mountain Hardwear down jacket. Ive never been cold in that jacket. Its the red one seen in my avatar. I think its called Below Zero. Its got alot of nice details, such as fleece-lined pockets and micro-chamois over the zipper to prevent chafing.

51r9StM24-L.jpg

Upperbody wear usually consists of a Helly Hansen baselayer shirt. Its important that it wicks sweat away. Again, its synthetic. Only minus about synthetics, is that youll stink like hell after a days hard hike.

helly-hansen-stripe-crew-neck-long-sleeve-top.jpg

On top of that i usually wear microfleece of some sorts. I find that fleece offers most warmth for the money. I like wool, but find it too expensive.

Here i am wearing my Haglofs pants and microfleece shirt, Millet windstopper softshell vest and a thin North Face beanie. Underneath i had the HH baselayer shirt.That combo kept me warm on a windy overcast hike, where temps were about 48 F. It was probaly colder if you factor in the windchill effect. I took of the vest when i was hiking with the pack. Of course, id be sweating while hiking, but id dry relatively fast.

5603609386_b90a8d304e_z.jpg

Last edited:
ExOfficio makes some really great stuff! I like their shirts a lot, but their pants don't fit me. I'm 6'5", and most hiking pants have a max. inseam of 34. Eddie Bauer does make a convertible hiking pant that's lightweight, quick drying, and long enough! I've got a few pairs of those!!

Companies need to start catering to the freakishly tall and left handed people... :D

I have a pair of those Eddie Bauer ones you mention, and they are great. Wore them all last weekend in fact.

They dry quick, are loose, and stay cool. Some of the Columbia dry quick shirts, or whatever they call them, and some of the under armor type boxer briefs round it out. I also have some of those coolmax socks, as my shoes (merrell chameleon 3 ventilator gore tex) are not very cool, and my feet get crazy hot in them.

I also have some of those Wrangler Riggs work pants, and the ranger model with the cargo pockets is pretty heavy duty. Very tough durable. Not too thin though, and they take awhile to dry out.

Ask Flexxx. He manages to carry a knife without a sheath or belt. You'll need to work on your posterior muscles though. :p

Thank you for reminding me what I hoped I forgot!

And when you get right down to it, who really needs pockets? :D

412px-Ursula_Andress_in_bikini.jpg

But Ursula does wear a belt ! I'm afraid I wouldn't be that attractive wearing scrubs and a belt outdoors. Not to mention the bikini .

I'm usually wearing 5.11 Tac-lite pros and a plain old cotton t-shirt.

For a light jacket, I really like the Cabelas safari jacket. It's cotton, I'd like to find something similar in a poly blend.

I just take whatever is clean from my old\worn out\rat assed clothes pile, which is tossed into the upper left corner of a closet shelf.
IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

Back