Casual Wear for Beckerheads

I do have me a few milsurp items (ok, quite a few), and in the last few years have become a big fan of wool. Strange, because SoCal is not what you'ld call a wintry wunderland. Since welding school especially, I stick with lots of cotton for its spark resistance, and it cools when wet, which in 100* heat is a plus. Dickies carpenter jeans for work. Wool also resists sparks well. Leather is the undisputed king though in firebrand gear.

I just received a Czech milsurp parka from Varusteleka in Finland for under 38 bucks shipped. It is a bit light in the zipper choice, but it also has button back ups, and it is WARM. It came with a removable liner, removable collar and a removable hood. And this one had the original waist belt. It is in n.o.s. condition (new, old stock), and has what I think is a production year stamp of 1992 inside the hood. Referred by this video.
~~
And for today's extra content we have winter, which can freeze your bum at any moment, so we must deal with it...

Last edited:
I don't really do much outdoorsy stuff in the winter time, but when spring starts and I start hitting the lakes and ponds I wear the polly Columbia wear and the like. If I'm walking the bank and hiking through brush Ill wear a Columbia short sleeve spf polly buttoned shirt, and The BPS World Wide Sportsman Hybrid II pants which are great, if it gets a little hot I can zip the lower pant leg off and have shorts and they have held up well. When I'm on the boat I wear the Long sleeved spf version of the Columbia polly button up or a spf sweat wicking long sleeve tee and the World Wide Sportsman Hybrid II pants or plain shorts depending what the temp is. Also A Hoorag to protect my face from the sun. If it's a little nippley out I will throw on my Carhartt Crowley jacket. When I'm outside in my yard building my shed like I have been lately in the cold weather I threw on my Carhartt insulated bib (over my boxers) and a Carhartt insulated hoody its nice and warm and I don't break a sweat. And when I'm streaking I'm not wearing a durn thing...;)

Last edited:
Take a look at the LA Police gear house brand pants, 60/40 poly cotton ripstop blend, lots of pockets, elastic waist etc. My fave is the operator tactical with lower leg pockets as they have the organizer pocket within the leg pockets. And ya can't beat the price, catch em on sale for $20.

Good old thread! I’m a 4th generation Pointer Brand overalls wearer myself, made in Bristol TN USA! Get hot you take your shirt and shoes off, too cold put on a coat and your longhandled underwear. They’ve worked for my kin for about a hundred years :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back