Catastrophic Kukuri failure

IIRC, the documentation is pretty solid concerning WWII khuk production. Makeshift shops were hastily set up near railroad terminals to make khuks from "Condemned Carriage Springs". I haven't researched it, but imagine that would just be leaf springs from RR cars. I can't say about using the tracks, but it's certainly possible. It would be interesting to test an old khuk to see what we could learn. Take care.

Seems like it would take a lot of work to get blade-sized pieces out of solid rail? Springs seem a lot easier.

IIRC, the documentation is pretty solid concerning WWII khuk production. Makeshift shops were hastily set up near railroad terminals to make khuks from "Condemned Carriage Springs". I haven't researched it, but imagine that would just be leaf springs from RR cars. I can't say about using the tracks, but it's certainly possible. It would be interesting to test an old khuk to see what we could learn. Take care.

Many of the spring steels used in everything from cars, Trucks and railroad carriage springs are the 10XX series of steels 1050, 1070 & 1095 to name a few. If I remember this correctly the 10XX designates a spring steel while the latter half 1070 designates the percent of carbon present in the steel. .70 percent in this case.

I know you want a minimum of .50 present in a steel to hold an edge on a knife.

Seems like it would take a lot of work to get blade-sized pieces out of solid rail? Springs seem a lot easier.

You are right about that but if you run out of springs you could forge a blade out of a chuck of Railroad rail. Especially if you have a power hammer or loads of cheap labor which they had in those days.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/kami.html

Raw materials - steel:

The steel used in HI khukuris is recycled from the leaf-springs off of large trucks. Using 'recycled' leaf-spring steel is a free test for weakness, and it is also improved as a forging medium in that it has been "work hardened" or "work strengthened". Some bladesmiths use sections of rail, that has been "packed" by thousands of freight car wheel impacts (sections adjacent to the joints between rail sections). Used springs are the same (but different) in that the xillions of flexings and jolts have worked out the molecular flaws and alignments, to the point that even if it not useable as a spring any longer, it is still an excellent medium for hammer and anvil. Much of the work involved in hammer-forging a blade is shaping, and then packing the steel to eliminate "spongy" areas which would not heat treat or form properly. "Work hardened" steel goes through the process faster and easier, and makes a better blade.

-- HI forumite 'Walosi' , 26-02-2002

Karda
Thanks for the link, I was mainly referring to the Kukuris made during WW1-WW11 I don't think there where many Japanese or Saab cars to make knives out of back then in Nepal & India.

I would like to have a chat with a metallurgist about this "work Hardened Steel" being better and then "packing the steel to eliminate spongy areas". When the steel is taken up to critical temp to forge,"Red Hot" any prior work or condition of the steel should be eliminated. Also the atomic structure or density of steel should remain the same even when the outside shape is changed or how hard you hit it with a hammer.

These folks do make fine knives with their tools and thats all that really matters.

Thanks.

I would like to have a chat with a metallurgist about this "work Hardened Steel" being better and then "packing the steel to eliminate spongy areas". When the steel is taken up to critical temp to forge,"Red Hot" any prior work or condition of the steel should be eliminated. Also the atomic structure or density of steel should remain the same even when the outside shape is changed or how hard you hit it with a hammer

Thanks.

This is correct

Wanted to update the thread. Received the replacement knife 3/17. Looks good, better than the one it replaced. Girlfriend was there at the unboxing and first thing she said was "that's nicer than the one that broke! The wood is a lot prettier." And it is nicer. Better finished and feels livelier in the hand.

Also got a deal so I ordered a 13hd "machete". That's what they call it. It's not like any machete i've ever seen. This thing is a beast! HEAVY!! Also came sharper than what I expected. I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to put them to work and hopefully post some pics.

I received confirmation of payment on 2/5. Then it took till 3/14 for them to ship. Arrived 3/17. I believe the delay was caused by making the knives to order. If I were to order again I would go to the custom page and be sure to specify that the knife is gonna be a user. The replacement and the 13hd look to be a step above what I orginally got. I don't think I'd trust another "off the shelf".

Thanks Kukuri House for making things right. I am a satisfied customer! For now......Find out a little more tomorrow!

Back