CBM's - Customized Benchmade's

Un-numbered -141 blade in my (walrus) ivory scales.
710-DM.jpeg

710-DM-Blade.jpeg

Here's some more full size barrages.

This is some cool cross cut layered micarta. This stuff looks really awesome when polished, but I like micarta rough for better traction.
vGNvbeSh.jpg

UTTCAU0h.jpg

9wW2nr6h.jpg

And here's some light gray G10 with black canvas micarta inlays.
RUFRjZjh.jpg

4oRyjMvh.jpg

ZDTJsTyh.jpg

D4StYhlh.jpg

Looking for some opinions on this. After programming my barrage scales and making the knife a lot thinner I wanted to do the same for the full size griptilian, but it was a little more complicated. The hardware they use is very long, and with a contour, even on full thickness scales it gets very thin near the axis lock. This was the best I've managed to do so far. It's a little more than .1" thinner overall than the stock griptilian. (.540 vs .645 by my measurements) As you can see I had to leave it bumped out a bit around the axis lock, liner screw and pivot. Let me know what you guys think. This wouldn't be replacing my full thickness design, it would just be another option.

IjuicVGh.jpg

5MRf8hKh.jpg

JAIbCxIh.jpg

d3CeHUch.jpg

y0yFQAAh.jpg

fzmcvg4h.jpg

Looking for some opinions on this.
Aesthetically, it looks fine; however, with a multicolor scale like that black/blue, it accentuates the screws and changes the lines by curving around them (if that’s what you’re aiming for). If not, perhaps that program is a better fit for solid scale material? More importantly, how does it feel when sliding the fingers over the AXIS lock to disengage? Do you notice the .1” bump? I imagine you’d need to carry and use it for a short period of time to see if that bugs the user or not Ryan. If it does, could a gradual .540 to .645 near the pivot work to avoid that lip? I suppose it would defeat the purpose. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Visually I’m good with it. Looks like it Could provide more feel to the knife overall. Could the rings be added to the other heads to make it more cohesive maybe? I like the look of it different options are nice to see to make it more custom.
I’m glad to see more programming from you! (As I secretly hope to see 707 scales lol)

Visually I’m good with it. Looks like it Could provide more feel to the knife overall. Could the rings be added to the other heads to make it more cohesive maybe? I like the look of it different options are nice to see to make it more custom.
I’m glad to see more programming from you! (As I secretly hope to see 707 scales lol)

I was actually thinking about adding the rings to the other screws. Still considering it. My only hesitation there is right now it feels pretty much like the knife normally does, it bumps out around the axis, pivot and liner screw, but it always kind of does on the stock knife because all those items hang out slightly from the scale anyway. So you're sort of used to feeling stuff there. The backspacer screws aren't something that are raised on the stock scales though. I might just have to make one like that and see how it feels.

I also want to rework the chamfer that goes along the profile of the knife so it doesn't cut into the ring on the back side of the axis lock, which is a bit hard to see in the picture.

We'll see, probably revise my program a bit and make another one sunday.

I was actually thinking about adding the rings to the other screws. Still considering it. My only hesitation there is right now it feels pretty much like the knife normally does, it bumps out around the axis, pivot and liner screw, but it always kind of does on the stock knife because all those items hang out slightly from the scale anyway. So you're sort of used to feeling stuff there. The backspacer screws aren't something that are raised on the stock scales though. I might just have to make one like that and see how it feels.

I also want to rework the chamfer that goes along the profile of the knife so it doesn't cut into the ring on the back side of the axis lock, which is a bit hard to see in the picture.

We'll see, probably revise my program a bit and make another one sunday.
I would like to see it, I think for me it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see the rings through out the knife, but I could also be wrong. I like the bump out better than when people add the extra stepped ring around the screws. I’m curious if the mini barrage has room to slim down? One of the only reasons I got rid of it was it was chunky. Though I never got to try yours either with the ball mill chamfer which I’m sure helped.

I would like to see it, I think for me it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see the rings through out the knife, but I could also be wrong. I like the bump out better than when people add the extra stepped ring around the screws. I’m curious if the mini barrage has room to slim down? One of the only reasons I got rid of it was it was chunky. Though I never got to try yours either with the ball mill chamfer which I’m sure helped.

There's no making the mini barrage thinner with out getting really weird. The side with the exposed pivot really sets the thickness. To go any thinner you'd be exposing the whole drum that houses the assist spring, and then having that pivot stick out on top of that. Not sure why the assist assembly is actually slimmer on the full size but it is. I don't have the measurements handy but maybe they went with a larger diameter spring on the full size which allowed them to go thinner gauge or fewer coils on the spring making the whole thing lower. I know the pivot head on the full size is also much thinner. I feel like if they would have went with a pivot that thin on the mini, they could have at least covered it over with the scale like they do on the large.

There's no making the mini barrage thinner with out getting really weird. The side with the exposed pivot really sets the thickness. To go any thinner you'd be exposing the whole drum that houses the assist spring, and then having that pivot stick out on top of that. Not sure why the assist assembly is actually slimmer on the full size but it is. I don't have the measurements handy but maybe they went with a larger diameter spring on the full size which allowed them to go thinner gauge or fewer coils on the spring making the whole thing lower. I know the pivot head on the full size is also much thinner. I feel like if they would have went with a pivot that thin on the mini, they could have at least covered it over with the scale like they do on the large.
I see I figured the coil was part of the issue I never thought about the exposed pivot nor did I realize the full size was hidden on both sides...

I can't wait to see some Bugouts
Working on it. I have one in hand now, going to be the next thing I program after I finish my thin griptilian program. Should have it done sometime in January if not before.

Here's a shot of a slightly revised set. I reprogrammed the chamfers a bit so that it doesn't cut into the milling around the axis lock. I tried to make just the chamfers bump out for the backspacer screws so that the chamfer wouldn't cut into the conterbores for those. I like the idea but the "bump" around the rear most spacer screw became too exaggerated, so I'm drawing up a new tool path to minimize that and make it more like the chamfer around the other screws. (probably shows up too small to really see that here) I could more easily fix it by just moving the screw hole, but that's the location I use for all my fixtures, inlay designs, solid backspacers, etc and I don't want to redraw all that stuff.

Anyway, I think I'll be able to make the final version tomorrow, assuming it comes out the way it looks on the computer. I'll get some close ups of that when I get it done.
LbPVJ8eh.jpg

So I think this will be the final version. Not much different than the first pictures. Like I said I just worked out the chamfering a little better. I also blasted these a lot lighter. Seemed like the normal bead blast I do was eating into the 3d milled areas too much, so this is a lot lighter. On the up side these have tool paths that contribute to the texture so they don't need much blasting have a really grippy texture. I'm interested to see how it does with carbon fiber or even just a solid color G10. I was trying to use materials people don't order all that often. I have a micarta one to do next, which I suspect will hide a lot of the raised bosses, I was going with the multicolor G10 to draw more attention to the shape for my benefit while I figured out what I was doing with these.
QdciMAHh.jpg

ACqclfeh.jpg

RjZc41Oh.jpg

bdwMu2hh.jpg

1ciSGheh.jpg

Both measured from the thickest point.
lFLOyqjh.jpg

Y7uaqCXh.jpg

Ok I lied before... NOW I'm doing working on the slim griptilian program. Put some better diagonal tool paths in. Looks great and leaves a nice texture. Not sure how well they'll show up in the pictures though, it's pretty fine.

niHfM4eh.jpg

fouyhqfh.jpg

UCseFOdh.jpg

ggYp3WJh.jpg

wQK3oaVh.jpg

Also other stuff I've made over the last week.
q6c4RMHh.jpg

o1Bjfmrh.jpg

PZLvFDOh.jpg

GI2ZZPRh.jpg

Qoy0cBGh.jpg

XUwTJrGh.jpg

oH1zCs5h.jpg

rm7keXNh.jpg

Nice!
I like those GripT standoffs!
You could mill the pivot hardware shorter?
I wouldn't mind see a Barrage with a short back spacer and single standoff combo, like the 580-2 knife.

Ok I lied before... NOW I'm doing working on the slim griptilian program. Put some better diagonal tool paths in. Looks great and leaves a nice texture. Not sure how well they'll show up in the pictures though, it's pretty fine.

niHfM4eh.jpg

fouyhqfh.jpg

UCseFOdh.jpg

ggYp3WJh.jpg

wQK3oaVh.jpg

Also other stuff I've made over the last week.
q6c4RMHh.jpg

o1Bjfmrh.jpg

PZLvFDOh.jpg

GI2ZZPRh.jpg

Qoy0cBGh.jpg

XUwTJrGh.jpg

oH1zCs5h.jpg

rm7keXNh.jpg

Back