CBSA: Notice of Seizure says "Presumed Knife"

The knife they are calling an auto is a Spyderco with compression lock.
Notice how they shut you down, using "Automatic knife" as the reason to justify their seizure when you tried to open a valid inquiry regarding "PRESUME KNIFE" scenario. This is a strong indication that someone at the other end really wanted your knife as a gift for his upcoming B-day.

I am very much ignorant on most of the matters pertaining to folding knives but unless I am mistaken, automatic knives do not use compression lock mechanisms. Uncertain if any of the knuckleheads in CBSA are aware of such intricacies. Maybe they do, but just don't care? Either way, the knife now belongs to them and there's nothing much you can do at this point, especially since you've apparently agreed, officially, not to pursue to reclaim against the seized parcel and its contents.

Last edited:
I don't know. They interpret things so that every knife is an "automatic". By their standards, just about every folding knife except an opinel is an automatic in the right user's hands. Never mind that they somehow all get legally imported to retailers anyway. I do remember a mom and pop army surplus store owner five years ago who told me the Military and PM2 were both illegal. By that interpretation of the legislation that eliminates a lot of Spydies, and Cold Steels, which are very easy to open with inertia. I wanted to argue but he told me he tried and they were seized at the border.

does automatic mean one handed opener in Canada CBSA terminology? guess so.

I middle manned and sent a Buck vantage to a Canadian pal, cause Buck wouldn't ship to Canada.......and it made it fine. think on export form I put cutting tool...not cutlery.... I did tighten the pivot....dont know if that made the difference or not?

are the rules available and easy to understand as what can and can't come in.....is it as simple as one handed openers of any kind are a no?

"A November 2017 decision by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) in favour of Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is resulting in the seizure of most pocket knives being imported into Canada. This ruling by CITT is inconsistent with section 84(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada, which defines which knives are prohibited and which are not."

From: https://www.gofundme.com/f/canadian-knife-rights-law-suit

That is, there appears to be a practice to seize knives that are perfectly legal. Good luck, Dave !

does automatic mean one handed opener in Canada CBSA terminology? guess so.

I have always understood it according to Murphy's Law, namely that the most draconian way it can be read is how it will be if the pretense is given to look at a folding knife. This is why I have a laundry list of recommendations I make when having people ship me something to regrind, and so far we had no issues. But I didn't discuss that with my friend, whose knife I was going to borrow, and lo and behold it is the first time CBSA has given me this trouble since I've been cross border shipping with my people I've met on Bladeforums.

I middle manned and sent a Buck vantage to a Canadian pal, cause Buck wouldn't ship to Canada.......and it made it fine. think on export form I put cutting tool...not cutlery.... I did tighten the pivot....dont know if that made the difference or not?

Cutting tool is accurate, I don't see how they could really take issue with it. If the knife is difficult to open two handed, and nigh impossible one handed, then so far in my experience it will pass customs unmolested, except maybe customs fees, depending on declared value.

are the rules available and easy to understand as what can and can't come in.....is it as simple as one handed openers of any kind are a no?

One handed openers of any kind are a target, to be squeezed into the category of "prohibited weapon" because legislature demonized the advancement of mechanical engineering in knife function. But as far as the agent who handles it is concerned, if it doesn't flick, it's not a one handed opener. That's my theory based on experience.

I have always understood it according to Murphy's Law, namely that the most draconian way it can be read is how it will be if the pretense is given to look at a folding knife. This is why I have a laundry list of recommendations I make when having people ship me something to regrind, and so far we had no issues. But I didn't discuss that with my friend, whose knife I was going to borrow, and lo and behold it is the first time CBSA has given me this trouble since I've been cross border shipping with my people I've met on Bladeforums.

Cutting tool is accurate, I don't see how they could really take issue with it. If the knife is difficult to open two handed, and nigh impossible one handed, then so far in my experience it will pass customs unmolested, except maybe customs fees, depending on declared value.

One handed openers of any kind are a target, to be squeezed into the category of "prohibited weapon" because legislature demonized the advancement of mechanical engineering in knife function. But as far as the agent who handles it is concerned, if it doesn't flick, it's not a one handed opener. That's my theory based on experience.
good info. thanks David.

Back