CBSA seizure repairs from USA

Fall of 2020 a Wharncliffe blade I had been using to strike a cut line prior to hand sawing developed a chip . Thinking nothing of it I insured and sent to Colorado for repairs . To my complete surprise Canada Border Services upon return seized the repaired knife stating it was a “prohibited” weapon in 🇨🇦. To American readers this is the state of repression of property rights in Canada 😣😣If you should cross the border beware of these authoritarian regulations enacted recently by our Federal government .

Have Canadian customs ever given anyone a straight answer as to why they decided to start fucking over knife purchasers? Are these particular knives being used in a lot of crimes in Canada? Or are they just doing it to be dicks?

One word. Disarmament.

Did the paperwork say return to sender warranty fix? And what company was the knife? And who did you send it to for repairs?

As long as we don't try to cross anything over the border that is prohibited, we won't have a problem. I have advised my regrind and mod customers to tighten pivots to make any folders coming across two handed openers, or had them send the blade only. So far (knock on wood) no issues.

One word. Disarmament.

I don't know. We have some pretty permissive fixed blade laws. I can and often do walk with anything from a large EDC to a huge machete on my belt. Perfectly legal. Not "just because", but if I am going on a hike, well, I have a few blocks of suburban to cross before I get there, and I'm not going to encumber myself with a backpack if I don't intend more than just a an hour or two hike in the woods. Well that's the machete or bigger knives. The EDC is "just because" - I might have to cut something. Or take it out to show someone what I do for a living. And a fixed blade, unconcealed, of any possible size one could want, explicitly for self defense (not something I do, though) is actually perfectly legal.

Haha! Apparently, they’re trying to keep things more family friendly (there are a lot of young knife collectors out there who probably read the forum) so I just need to watch the cuss words. But glad to hear someone enjoys my dry sense of humor! :)

As long as we don't try to cross anything over the border that is prohibited, we won't have a problem. I have advised my regrind and mod customers to tighten pivots to make any folders coming across two handed openers, or had them send the blade only. So far (knock on wood) no issues.

I don't know. We have some pretty permissive fixed blade laws. I can and often do walk with anything from a large EDC to a huge machete on my belt. Perfectly legal. Not "just because", but if I am going on a hike, well, I have a few blocks of suburban to cross before I get there, and I'm not going to encumber myself with a backpack if I don't intend more than just a an hour or two hike in the woods. Well that's the machete or bigger knives. The EDC is "just because" - I might have to cut something. Or take it out to show someone what I do for a living. And a fixed blade, unconcealed, of any possible size one could want, explicitly for self defense (not something I do, though) is actually perfectly legal.
The really outrageous thing about the folders they’ve been seizing at the border is that they’re knives that they previously ruled don’t fit the prohibited knife definitions and therefore legal to import and sell in Canada. They’re apparently still being sold at all the retail stores in Canada.

I know some people have tried getting a Canada equivalent of Knife Rights in the US going. Doug Ritter said they’ve reached out to him for advice. Some in Europe and Australia have explored it too. Doug has said it’s just a bigger obstacle than it is here in the US due to the political systems and how things work differently. Either way, it’s good to know people are at least trying.

Have Canadian customs ever given anyone a straight answer as to why they decided to start fucking over knife purchasers? Are these particular knives being used in a lot of crimes in Canada? Or are they just doing it to be dicks?

The article has a pretty good history of why the CBSA policies changed. It happened after a Canadian citizen challenged the CBSA seizure of Kershaw Skylines, which lead to a decision by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) in the appeal, which extended the CBSA definition of what they can deem a "prohibited weapon" which goes beyond what legally is considered a prohibited weapon.

It seems like the only workarounds you have with this issue is ordering the knives from a third party seller in the US unassembled with the handle parts sent in one package and the blade sent in another.

I read in that article that there’s exemptions for businesses to obtain items on the prohibited weapon list (like auto knives, push daggers, hidden blade devices, etc.) with something called a Firearms Business License. I guess that means you’d have to have a registered business to sell and deal in firearms. I’ve read that movie production companies can also obtain a license if they want to use one of the prohibited items as props in a movie. Sad that it’s extremely difficult for Canadian citizens to obtain such a license.

The only way I ever see anything changing for my Canadian friends is if Doug Ritter succeeds in getting the Federal Switchblade Act repealed here in the US. It will open up the door for knife makers in Canada and other countries to lobby for manufacturing exemptions for export to the US. Once new profit motives open up, the governments start to see tax incentives which will then prompt them to start relaxing the laws in their countries. That’s ultimately what it will come down to: Economics.

Can you post the actual CBSA seizure letter including which port of entry and clarify which exact knife was refused entry? Blur out any personal info like names and addresses.

I buy a lot of the Blade HQ special editions and have them shipped to Canada with no special requirement. About every 3rd one gets opened and looked at; you can tell this because the box will be resealed with CBSA tape. None have had an issue so far.

As for carrying knives into another country any time you cross a border with what can be defined as a weapon you need to be aware. I can't count the number of times US border guards have asked me what kind of weapons I'm carrying.

Canada once considered legalizing dueling, so it’s not like crazier things haven’t happened! 🙃 😉

I'm sure you're joking, but for those who might take you seriously, no, Canada never "considered legalizing dueling". Section 71 of the Criminal Code was simply redundant, and not needed given the fact that assault with a weapon, murder, and attempted murder are offences in the Criminal Code of Canada, even with §71 repealed.

I'm sure you're joking, but for those who might take you seriously, no, Canada never "considered legalizing dueling". Section 71 of the Criminal Code was simply redundant, and not needed given the fact that assault with a weapon, murder, and attempted murder are offences in the Criminal Code of Canada, even with §71 repealed.
Here’s a video explaining that.

An example is this: Autos are illegal to own and classified as "prohibited weapons" with potentail jail time and at the very least confiscation. Now, as far as I'm concerned, there is precious little difference between an auto and an "assisted open" knife. Especially as far as a Benchmade's Axis-auto and an Axis Assisted Open. The differences are symantic and technical.

Now a logical person would say that since, for the most part and technically, they both have the same functionality and operation they should both be considered as being the same. Since AO knives are legal, then autos should be classified as legal as well. Now how do you think politicians would think? Myself, I would start to hide any of my AO knives while I'm not arrested and still free.

An example is this: Autos are illegal to own and classified as "prohibited weapons" with potentail jail time and at the very least confiscation. Now, as far as I'm concerned, there is precious little difference between an auto and an "assisted open" knife. Especially as far as a Benchmade's Axis-auto and an Axis Assisted Open. The differences are symantic and technical.

Now a logical person would say that since, for the most part and technically, they both have the same functionality and operation they should both be considered as being the same. Since AO knives are legal, then autos should be classified as legal as well. Now how do you think politicians would think? Myself, I would start to hide any of my AO knives while I'm not arrested and still free.
The reason why most knife laws around the world haven’t been changed is due to politics. While a small number of people within the Canadian knife community might logically think “Hey, since assisted open and pivot bearing knives are so quick and easy to open, maybe we should legalize autos,” the problem is they’re outnumbered by everybody else who’s misinformed about such things and considers such items to be “scary” weapons and that’s where the politicians get the bulk of their votes, so they have nothing to gain by advocating to make such instruments more accessible to the public.

People at least need to educate the public about knives more and what actually makes something a weapon vs. a handy tool. There’s too much ignorance still with regards to all that.

While we’ve had more luck in the US with getting bad knife laws repealed at the state and local level, even I think getting our “Federal Switchblade Act” repealed will be an uphill battle even though our government hardly ever enforces it.

Overall, it’s not impossible. Is it probable? No. At least not at this time.

Back