How To Centering a Benchmade Blade

Well I’m beyond frustrated. I fell in love with Benchmade knives in the 90’s when the came out with the AFCK’s. My favorite knife period. I found a NOS AFCK that WILL NOT center. I tried loosening screws, and stripped a screw head. Sent it in, with a mini grip to Benchmade. I asked for a new blade on the mini grip, and for the AFCK handle screw that I stripped to be replaced as well as the issue of the off center blade which rubs liner to be addressed.

Just got the knives back. Mini grip has brand spanking new blade and is off center. Tried the screw loosening techniques and no luck. AFCK is back and off center as well.86C74442-F7E5-4BD2-85CC-764C66AAF929.jpeg1784AE08-1722-41F2-A90D-AC5F20DEB6C1.jpeg

That doesn’t look bad on either one from the pics. Maybe not perceived but some are prone to being a little off. Tried all the home remedies such as pushing against blade in the direction it’s off in an attempt to recenter the axis and not the blade?

Hey Dallas,

Yes. Tried the screw loosening ritual to no avail. I’m not going clamp the blades in a bench vise. Just emailed Benchmade. I’ll let them fix it.

Loosen all screws except the pivot. Stick the blade in between drawers of a desk. Bend hard the handle to the side that the blade is off centered to and Tighten all screws on the side facing you. Flip over the knife and repeat to tighten the other side.

As long as you bend hard enough, this will work.

So I took apart one of my knives recently. A few weeks ago. I can't even remember which one it was, but a Benchmade. I think it was a Griptilian. Or a 940. When I put it back together, it was off center. I tried an old trick from years ago (older than this thread), where you put folded card stock, or paper, or something similar in the handle on the side of the blade that is rubbing. Folded thick enough that you pretty much have to jam it in there. This is with everything loosened, including the pivot. Work from the aft end forward, tightening everything as you go, and tighten the pivot last. When I did this, the blade was centered, and has stayed centered.

Today I took apart my Bugout for the first time to put on some new G10 blue/black two-tone scales I purchased, and upon reassembly I had a huge centering problem. The blade was actually touching one of the scales when closed, although strangely enough it did not seem to affect the action much if at all.

After messing around with it for more than an hour, I did a google search and found this thread, and in 5 minutes I had it perfectly centered! I don’t have a vice grip, so instead I just held the knife against a table as suggested with the pivot screw tightened all the way and the body screws loosened (and pocket clip removed completely). Then I tightened the body screws one by one. After I tightened the last one, the centering was now too far the other way, so I backed out the pivot until the action was good and the centering is now pretty much perfect. Then I put on the pocket clip. For the Bugout, I doubt the pocked clip matters since it does not screw into the liners, only into the scale on one side.

Thanks OP worked for me as well. Tried the table method first with no luck. But after 2 minutes in the vice, it was good to go.

Amazing, thank you so much.... was going to take a small loss on a Bailout from BHQ and as a last ditch effort this worked to center the blade!
Love this knife so I really didn’t want to give it up

I was able to get my Bailout and Bugout perfectly centered after using this method. I did use a vise but I have a set of rubberized vise jaws that I use to protect the blade. If you have a vise and don't have a set of rubberized vise jaws ($15) I would encourage anyone to look into a set. They are simple to remove/add and come in very handy for all kinds of projects. Thanks to OP for detailed write up.

I posted this in a thread that T.L.E.Sharp started called Sad Day for a BM Owner* regarding the off-centered blade in his new 560 Freek and his unsuccessful attempts at correction. Our resident Benchmade Design Engineer and Mod, Jimmy, posted a great solution that involved using the open blade for leverage and pressing it against a table or such to re-orient the pivot axis and bring the blade to center.

[*There's a fair amount of discussion on point at the linked thread.]

It was suggested that I start a new thread in order to make this how-to a bit easier to find. Mods--I'd like to keep this here in the Benchmade wing as there's so much chatter about off-center BM blades.

Many, if not most, of us are familiar with the methodology of loosening the handle's body screws and either trying to shift scale alignment front-to-back or wedging the blade in the direction desired before re-tightening the body screws. I've had fairly good luck with the latter and find it easier than trying to hold the re-alignment of the scales/slabs with one hand while re-tightening the body screws with the other. Unfortunately, while the movement being sought is extremely slight, one is fighting the tension at the pivot without much leverage. Take a look at my rather rude diagram below to see what we're trying to achieve.

rsgaa42.jpg

The "blade" of the "knife" on the left is touching the right-hand liner/slab. For all intents and purposes, the angle between the blade and the pivot axis (the short cross) should be considered as fixed while the angle between it and the slabs is moveable to some degree. Note in the diagram that the right slab is forward of the left as indicated by the arrows and the pivot axis is clearly out-of-square with the body of the knife. What needs to be achieved is a re-alignment of the two sides, as indicated by the arrows at the knife on the right, which will bring the pivot axis back to square and the blade back to center.

Note that there may be other causal factors for poor centering, such as a warped/crooked blade or poor milling. This method should at least help in those cases within the tolerances for movement at the pivot and body screws.

Anyway, per Jimmy's suggestion, an open blade will provide exponentially greater leverage when trying to re-align the axis and I figured that setting the blade in a vise would provide more control, ease of manipulation, and a greater modicum of safety. The other advantage of a clamped blade is that one needn't fight any bending along its length from tip to pivot.

I'd never been able to get my first 710 entirely centered. The knife was bought used in"good" shape off the big river site--what did I know, I was a noob--and was pretty much a mess when I got it. I've put quite a bit into rehabbing her--she's my "rescue knife" and a great favorite. Among other fixes, the Delrin backspacer has been replaced with Gnoleb dumbbell-style standoffs and you can judge the poor alignment against the center portion of the back standoff.

xCsH4zl.jpg

I folded a piece of corrugated cardboard for protection and clamped the blade in the bench-vise. With the knife set up thusly it's easy to access the body screws from either or both sides as required.

VRdSeLG.jpg

My blade was off to the left as viewed in these pictures (opposite direction from my diagram above). Jimmy talked about holding the knife in hand and pushing the blade against a table in the direction that it's off (which he described as seeming "backwards"). With the open blade fixed in the vise, I loosened the two body screws and pushed the handle to the left--indicated by the torx-driver--so the blade, when closed, would move to the right. This is perhaps more intuitive as one can more easily imagine the spacing between the slabs and a closed blade changing in the proper direction. Holding it firm with my left hand, it was easy to access the torx screw heads on the right side to re-tighten them.

Note that only the body screws should be loosened/re-tightened while re-aligning. The pivot screws should be left alone until the centering process is complete.

CFRFj7w.jpg

After tightening everything up, the blade was actually a tiny bit too-far-right and the action that had been fairly free-dropping was stiff and tight. Backing off the pivot in two slight increments brought it back to dead-balls center and loosened it right up without resulting in any blade-play whatsoever. In fact, the action is even better now, completely free-dropping closed using only my thumb--pure Benchmade heaven!

DaT3hdr.jpg

Jimmy has also suggested that it's not necessary to loosen the body screws to effect the correction needed. To my mind, one has more control and must exert less force when the knife is rigidly held and you're not fighting to shift slabs that are tightly tied together. Whatever works for you, I hope you find this useful.
--Steve
Sweet! I’ll give it a shot

Back