Cerakote color?

Hey guys. So i just got the bk7 back from kydexing a couple days ago. I can't stop messin with that thing :D its an OD sheath with a pivot point. Anyways cerakote is next. The guy I'm using doesn't have much available so heres a list of the colors he has:

Graphite Black,
Smith Grey,
Sniper Grey
Forest Green,
Foliage Green,
Highland Green,
OD Green
Coyote Tan,
Flat Dark Earth,
Burnt Bronze
Socom Blue

im leaning towards smith grey, simply because I'm not sure about any other colors on blades. I mean, all I've ever seen really on a knife is black grey silver etc. So I'd love to hear some opinions on this! Thanks!

Dude you gotta post up a pic. We need to see that 7 and sheath!

From the list, these are all "tactical" colors. Socom Blue. That might look cool.

I say leave it stripped for a while and let it develop its own patina. Cerakote is going to flake off anyway. just my two pennies.

I had a revolver done in sniper grey with the cylinder and accent pieces (trigger, hammer, cylinder release, etc) done in graphite black. I think it turned out pretty sweet! That would be my vote for color!

I may have a photo somewhere....

Flat Dark Earth would be sweet! They also make a semi clear cerakote that would look good over a force patina...maybe

Flat Dark Earth would be sweet! They also make a semi clear cerakote that would look good over a force patina...maybe

I have some Flat dark earth kydex for my 9 and 16. The 9 still has the factory coating, The 16 is stripped. Stripped looks better IMO

Thanks for the feedback. I feel like a few of those colors might look bad with the OD kydex, but at the same time i feel like if i get a shade if green, it would just be to much... So still undecided. After seeing pics of the flat dark earth im thinking it looks pretty good... If like to do a graphite black and smith/sniper grey, but idk how experienced this guy is with doin patterns. Anyways, I'll keep y'all updated!

I am quite fond on burnt bronze myself
c81e0b1d-2cba-49ba-b70d-4ae7e13222d0_zpsb49dadf1.jpg

Wow, that sniper grey would look amazing coming out of an OD sheath!

Dang, I might consider this color scheme when I'm developing a new rig.

Holy smokes! Thanks for that upload Mav!!

aperdue, that's a sweet looking setup you have there, very nice!!

thinking about doing this to a pistol I have can anyone who's done it give me an idea as to how well the finish holds up to wear?

cerakote is suppose to be the toughest aftermarket coating offered right now. I have managed to scrape through a little, but it was through some heavy scraping against another metal surface. I would have expected any coating to come off from that. I would imagine something like holster wear would not be an issue.

thinking about doing this to a pistol I have can anyone who's done it give me an idea as to how well the finish holds up to wear?

I've heard horror stories on the internet but I've had nothing but good experience with cerakote. What it boils down to is the person applying it. On a gun you have to remove every single last bit of grease/oil/powder or you will have troubles. Luckily I am good friends with a well known gunsmith that has been doing it for a very long time and my cerakote has been basically indestructible. It has a fine textured finish (like maybe a 6000 water stone) and if you really hit something hard with it, it doesn't chip, it just sort of "slicks off". Not the best description but I don't know how else to describe it. An example would be a revolver, after time any revolver whether it be stainless, blued, nickel, etc it will develop a cylinder ring. That is a good indication of how many times it has been shot because when the cylinder rotates you are dragging metal on metal and it grooves a ring into the cylinder. I figured my cerakote would wear off on the cylinder of my revolver........it hasn't. It has only developed a line that is smooth and polished, just like any revolver looks with use.

I do like the burnt bronze too. Here is a before/after of my shotgun. A bit of cerakote can breathe life into an old shotgun!

This is a early 80's (maybe even 70's) 870 Wingmaster police trade in. It rode in the trunk of a cop car for 25+ years and had the crap beat out of the outside but the internals were basically brand new because it only got fired once a year for qualifying. I love police trade in guns! They are ugly and cheap, but new on the important parts.

Maverick299,
That Shotgun is freaking Beautiful, I may try it with my Mossberg.
And I never thought I,d want a revolver in anything but Blue, maybe Stainless,
But that one is Great Looking.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i didn't see a need to start a new one. Im still considering sniper/smith grey , and I'm also looking at OD, and a couple of the browns. The greys are the only ones I'm sure about. I'm just not sure how a brown color would look with the OD sheath. On the other hand, I'm not sure if an OD blade will just be too much, with the sheath and blade being the same color. I'm still thinking id like to do some sort of a pattern on it combining some colors. Like a digital camo with OD and something else. I just don't know if Cerakote guy can do that (or what the price would be). .... Anyways, thanks for the input!

I'd like to get a Cerakote kit. In theory, it should be just as easy to do a Cerakote camo job as a rattle can job, albeit a bit more time consuming. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Back