Cerakote primer? or Jerry Wonka? Update w/pics

Hey All,

So I picked this up this awesome .25 SFNO from a forum member last year and took her out camping a little while back. There were some Cerakote scuffs and stuff previously, but since it was going to be a user I didn't care. When I did start use it (battoning etc) the Cerakote just started peeling right off revealing a kind of smooth tan coating. Little chunks can be popped off from a thumb nail. At first I allowed myself to have a bit of a Willy Wonka fantasy that Jerry hid a golden ticket under the Cerakote and I could go to the shop to see the INFI river, but then came back to my senses.

eowUvde.jpg

Is this common? It seems like a decal coming off. Is there typically a primer underneath? Is there a stripper that can take the remnants of the Cerakote off the blade and canvas Micarta but leave the tan? Would it have to go to the shop? Is that even possible these days?

SAa26Ix.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sick blade. Performed Beautifully.

If the metal is prepared correctly, Cerakote shouldn't come off that easy. I've sprayed the bake on & cold applied Cerakote. They can stand a great deal of abuse & not flake off. Preparing the material is blasting it with 120 grit alumi oxide at 80-100 psi. It looks like maybe Cerakote for a primer/base & water transfer coating on top.

Weird...:confused:

So now if it is water transfer over Cerakote, paint stripper or acetone should take the pattern right off & leave that sweet tan color. Only way I know to take off Cerakote is sanding or blasting. If you blast all the coating off, you've got quite a few options for that bare blade. Oh the possibilities to make it unique & your own.

Edit: I see some of the tan is actually chipping? The blade doesn't look blasted underneath, so that chipping probably will continue. Of course you can just keep beating tha proverbial snot outta it & see how it goes.

I suggest you contact Jerry. If something is off he will make it right by you.

Thanks. I don't really think there's anything wrong, just coatings I'm not familiar with.

And I'm totally sure he would if there was.

Just a point of reference if it helps. This is burnt bronze, heat cured Cerakote on a garbage knife. It was my first attempt at the coating.

awPtto2.jpg

Edit: I see some of the tan is actually chipping? The blade doesn't look blasted underneath, so that chipping probably will continue. Of course you can just keep beating tha proverbial snot outta it & see how it goes.

so that was me being an idiot. when I saw it bubbling and peeling I started tapping it with the back of a spoon to try and take it off evenly, but all I managed to do is mark it up a bunch.

If the Cerakote was applied by Busse, I would think it is a warranty issue, and that Jerry would take care of it.

Either way you decide, please keep us updated. I love seeing something turn into something else. Either it being modded or just refreshed.

Here it is after a few minutes of pushing with my thumb nail. I don't think it's a warranty issue. I think DogDraws is right and it's Cerakote underneath. Which I didn't think about. I can prob clean most of it this way then use a stripper on the micarta. Will post the results.
LY1MkhH.jpg

Just a point of reference if it helps. This is burnt bronze, heat cured Cerakote on a garbage knife. It was my first attempt at the coating.

awPtto2.jpg
Did you darken that burnt bronze any? Been wanting to have one of my duck guns done up in a darkened burnt bronze but I'm not sure exactly how much to cut it.

Nope, that's straight out the bottle. My 870 off the Cerakote website.

cQfhZld.png

Update: So I feel like I'm making more of a mess of this. Did two sessions of multiple hours with Citristrip and not very much headway. Will probably try one or two more before looking at other options. Don't really mind if it's ugly, but don't want it to be flakey.

05YAVhV.jpg

Q6opunO.jpg

Leave the citistrip on longer. If you live in the south put it in a gallon zip lock bag and leave it in the sun for the day and take it inside at night. If it’s cold by you leave it next to your heat source. I keep mine in citistrip for 24 hours. Sometimes after 12 I open it up just to lather more on it. 24 hours is the magic number for me and I stripped probably 15 so far. Any less and it won’t come off, any longer and it dries into the coating. Use a plastic scraper to peel it right off. I use a small wire brush I use for firearm cleaning to work around the handles. On really stubborn coatings (usually any kind of metallic ones) I’ll scrape it off after 24 hours and repeat the entire process one more time. I hope this helps

I suggest getting some Zip Strip, use it outdoors or at least in a well ventilated area. Warm the knife with a hair dryer and pour the Zip Strip on liberally. It will take some time, Ceracoat is tough stuff.

Just a heads up, some people were finding TigherHide micarta under ceracoat.

8ED13353-4E60-42E1-B591-029389CB8A2C-501-0000008E0C0A40B6.jpg

I've done 1 Cerakote strip - but I should rephrase that - I ended up sanding it off - That stuff is tougher than chrome man, really good stuff. Lots and lots of wet sanding - don't ever want to do another. I use a spray on stripper for regular coatings, I can strip a normal polyester coating in 10 minutes - ceramic is a whole different beast.

My guess is that the cerakote was probably done by Blown Deadline. They are quite popular in the firearm industry and typically do a fantastic job. Unfortunately, sometimes proper surface prep does not happen, even with the best. I’m not sure what can be done at this point, but if it bugs after you ponder it some more, you definitely should contact the shop.

Back