Cerakote questions

How is the performance of cerakote coating? Their website says it helps the strength of the blade. Does it mean it would be less likely to break? From their website
“Cerakote is a Polymer-Ceramic Composite coating that provides superior protection against abrasion and scratches while enhancing physical performance properties including wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, and strength.”

thanks,

josh

Is DLC (Diamond Like Coating) and CeraKote two names for the same thing or are they different?
And while we are at it, what is a "Traction Coating"?

Last edited:
Cerakote is a type of ceramic paint Like coating that is baked on and often used as a firearms finish.

I never had a Cerakoted firearm but I recently bought a duracoated Colt 1903 which I have no idea why anyone would do that to a fine old gun. I had it stripped off and the gun parkerized like a wwii example

Traction coating... Some kind of textured coating, like sand mixed in paint, that makes it a royal pain in the ass to clean the blade.

I don't understand the rationale behind it... traction for what? Aren't blades supposed to be smooth to glide through things?

I have a 620 Reaper with that coating... never again.

Last edited:
At first I believed the cerakote was to help protect carbon steel knives from oxidation.

Powdercoat was on my early 104.
It doesn't stay on very well, and I felt it actually inhibited the blade from easily cutting.

Now I see carakote on s30v blades, and wonder what the point really is.
I guess it can be viewed as an embellishment, i.e. colors.

Is there something a knife with cerakote can do, that a knife without it cannot?

Last edited:
I liked the old Alaskan guide titanium aluminum nitride coating. Mine has held up very well. Not that I really need that much corrosion protection or the color. I’d rather have a satin or stone washed finish on a plain stainless blade. My new September botm marksman has the blade coating and that’s okay I guess I’ll find out how it performs.

The first generation Compadre Series (red) were described as powdercoated.
The current series (cobalt) is Cerakoted.
Thanks Desoto.
I was looking to confirm that, and found nothing.
I'll change my post to reflect your correction.

Cerakote is a thin protective ceramic coating (usually 0.001-in.) that bonds well to steels. The coating does strengthen the blade. This is great for camp/survival knives. I own a 620 Reaper and also a Gerber Prodigy with the coated blades and they are tough. Other knives without that coating tend to show more wear and scratches when heavily used. I believe Cerakote is a registered trademark®, so a lot of times you will hear companies refer to it as "ceramic coating" or something else.

Cerakote is a thin protective ceramic coating (usually 0.001-in.) that bonds well to steels. The coating does strengthen the blade. This is great for camp/survival knives. I own a 620 Reaper and also a Gerber Prodigy with the coated blades and they are tough. Other knives without that coating tend to show more wear and scratches when heavily used. I believe Cerakote is a registered trademark®, so a lot of times you will hear companies refer to it as "ceramic coating" or something else.
thought reaper 620 had a different coating? ones i have do.

I was thinking of the black more on a collectors knife so how does it look? I imagine a satin black but is it grainy? Or a smooth satin finish?

I love the coated blades of the alaskan guide series of knives,I'm hoping the new ones with ceracote hold up as good or better than the DLC coated models.ive got a brand new 110 alaskan guide with ceracote on the way so I guess I'll find out when I bring it out lobster fishing come november.

I love the coated blades of the alaskan guide series of knives,I'm hoping the new ones with ceracote hold up as good or better than the DLC coated models.ive got a brand new 110 alaskan guide with ceracote on the way so I guess I'll find out when I bring it out lobster fishing come november.

RB,

When you have your new AG knife in hand can you give us your thoughts on the coating? Then how it works in the field, will that coating hold up to hard use, does the coating drag when cutting or is it as good as the DLT coating.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
JB

RB,

When you have your new AG knife in hand can you give us your thoughts on the coating? Then how it works in the field, will that coating hold up to hard use, does the coating drag when cutting or is it as good as the DLT coating.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
JB
I still haven't recieved it,but as soon as I have it im putting it on my belt and it will be my new user for everything,I'm very interested in seeing if it's as good as the DLC coating on thr original alaskan guides,let's hope it holds up !Ill post up how it holds up after the month of November out on The lobster boat where it will be put to the test ,lol.

Back