Recommendation? Ceramic Glass Platen - JB Weld VS Carpet Tape

Does anyone have any strong opinions on these two adhesion methods as far as which is superior? I've been reading though some old threads and have run across some makers who swear by the carpet tape method. Seems like an easier solution both in regards to application and future removal.

I plan on using a physical bottom ledge for the glass regardless of the adhesion method I use.

What do yall think?

Thanks,
JKeeton

Reactions: weo
Second HSC. I much prefer the 3M tape over JB Weld because 1. I don’t need to rough the metal platen surface for good adhesion and 2. I don’t need to worry about the glass slipping around while waiting for the JB weld to set. I’ve used the 3M 410M my last two glass replacements and have had no issues with slippage due to heat build up or when I’m running my grinder wet. I prefer the tape over JB.

I use 3m body and side moulding tape from the auto parts store. No ledge. Stuff is amazing.

Use same tape to keep decals on my whipple, that thing gets stupid hot too.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback on the tape! I feel better about giving it a go now.

I need to replace mine because my glass is a tad bit concave but it’s been about 2 years.

I've been using high temp silicone. Hasent ever given me problems and if you replace the glass it's as easy as using a sharp blade to scrape off old silicone.

I dont know if time is a good indicator for me since I get too busy to make knives some of the year, but it lasts long enough to wear out the pyroceram. I'm about to flip the current one over, front is no longer flat. I'll use new tape when I do.

Had no luck with carpet tape. Jb weld works fine. If I need to replace it I put the platen in the oven for fifteen minutes.

I ended up going with the 3m tape. That stuff is strong!

1. I welded a ledge onto the bottom of my 2x8 steel platen
  2. Cleaned it
  3. Applied the tape (4 runs 8'' long and 1/2'' wide)
  4. Placed ceramic glass onto the tape (while the bottom resting on the ledge)

3M tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO913C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where I got my platen (mtbecky2 on eBay): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Platen-for-Grinders-and-Sanders-2-x-8/163474287008?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is a video of installation and operation:

Last edited:
Like it , but why you don t trim the edges of glass ,diamond and SIC sandpaper will do that easy? Look at the end on video how glass eat belt from back side , round little more that part of glass ,and top side too..

Another thing ,why you mount that plate to protruded that much ? You need that ONLY when you grind vertical to flatten some steel .For grinding bevel I don t see any reason for that .On my grinders belt barely touches glass and I did not notice that this was problem ?

Back