Ceramic piece vs ceramic stone

So how did you manipulate the ceramic's grit.

Did the ceramic pick up the actual grit size of the sillicon carbide stones? How long did they hold the same grit? Help me with the explanation of the process please..
42 gave an excellent response to the question.
Initially I was just trying to make one of the stones perfectly flat.

I was using 30 grit SiC powder and when I tried it out after flattening it cut more aggressively than the stock ones.

Either with SiC powder or course diamond stones I regularly will condition my stones to cut more aggressive.
The sintered type stones like the Smiths will keep that type conditioning for much longer than softer stones.

Sintered stones are a great addition to a sharpening arsenal but for me I use them less than other type stones.

Sintered stones are a great addition to a sharpening arsenal but for me I use them less than other type stones.

Bingo. They're tremendously useful in certain kinds of sharpening, including light touchups and apexing, but are best used lightly due to the way they don't shed grit. The more heavy lifting they have to do, which isn't their forte in the first place, the sooner they'll need reconditioning when the surface layer of grit blunts.

Bingo. They're tremendously useful in certain kinds of sharpening, including light touchups and apexing, but are best used lightly due to the way they don't shed grit. The more heavy lifting they have to do, which isn't their forte in the first place, the sooner they'll need reconditioning when the surface layer of grit blunts.
Many customers treat sintered ceramics like an extension of their diamond set and don't believe when I say ceramics is much more skill-intensive and maintenance-demanding.

Yeah they're a tool that experienced sharpeners will most benefit from, by far. Understanding what they do best and what they don't, and how to properly care for them is essential to maximizing their utility, and ultimately they're best used lightly, but give great rewards in the results they produce when used right.

Hi,

1200 degrees celsius?
Thats vitreous china says internet
DIY Ceramic Knife Sharpener - Ruben Chavez

is it 20% alumina? Higher?
The alumina does the cutting, the SiO2 does the cutting and rubbing?

EP0584977B1 - Vitreous china... 17 to 40% of Al2O3

PAGE 49 On-Determining-the-Hardness-of-Grinding-Wheels-bab3715.0001.001.pdf
?? "P" bond ?? 50% abrasive grain 17% bond (vitreous china) ??

grinding wheels are made using 100-5000 psi

look at the surface finish pics
look at those raised bumps thats whats abrading
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lapping-stones-for-flatness.1586470/page-5#post-19510640

look at pics and the small amount of abrasive compared to "bond"
the raised bumps are whats abrading
The Barber Hone – scienceofsharp
the surface finish is the critical thing

So,
For coarse stone,
mix in coarse alumina grits powder ( <$10 for 1lb)
an equally(?) coarse coffe grounds or sawdust ... something to burn out and leave holes
compress the mixture using a shop press or ...
and/or other pottery steps ;) :D
... coarse stones are readily available under $20 or $10 ..

For fine stone,
you don't want porosity (unless you're going for a medium grit)
mix in ... ?? 30% or 50% or 80% alumina powder grit F1200?? ( <$10 for 1lb)
compress the mixture using a shop press or ...
and/or other pottery steps :D
maybe texture the surface to resemble a spyderco lapped
chinese ruby 3000 for < $5?

interesting stuff

does your pottery friend have a tile saw and a toilet?
:D

Back