Cerberus

I seem to always fall for knives that aren't in the spotlight, which makes the literature of user experience unfortunately scant. This knife was one of them. When this knife first came out at the ~$150 mark, it was a bit steep for me. But now that Ontario offers this with a throwaway sheath for much cheaper, I snatched it up.

YXrYBMh.jpg

I did like the original park coating, but seeing as I'm using this as an all purpose knife (including food prep), I sanded everything above the ricasso.

I think my general dislike for choils is what connected me to this blade the moment I saw it ;).
Anybody else dig this knife?

I was immediately attracted to this knife when it first was shown for some odd reason...still haven’t purchased it...but have been rethinking...

There’s a lot of pluses with it....can you think of anything con?

Hmm that's tough. The handle is wide, and its shape coerces you into a grip that is suited for cutting and carving, almost like the knife wants your thumb on the spine (at least for my hands). This isn't a con for me, but I do know that other users like a substantial palm swell to hold it like a hammer for chopping. I don't imagine much chopping for this ~5" blade though.

Not much of a complaint, it's moreso that I'm not able to come up with any substantial flaw. I guess some people worry about stabbing things and having their fingers slide onto the blade, yet that's why I like this knife- no choil or guard in the way. All edge.

Last edited:
wulfns,

The Cerberus Fixed blade and folder were developed for a US Spec Ops Military Group. (Propriety and decorum requires they remain nameless)
Most of the design features on the knife were what that group wanted. We were in production when the funding dried up.
We had so much sweat equity and time invested in the project that we continued to produce the knife and market it commercially.
You get a knife designed by high speed, blast and blow operators.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

So by selling them to the public making any one who can get them makes them available to the ones that want/need them any ways.

Sounds Win Win to me. :D

Thanks for the extra information Toooj. In that case, I'm a bit happy the funding dried up so I was able to purchase it :p. I highly recommend this knife to anyone considering it.

I bought one when it first came out, loved everything about it(including the sheath). When the price dropped I bought a couple more, as gifts. Did you make that kydex/leather sheath yourself?

Did you make that kydex/leather sheath yourself?

Yes, I bought the knife as soon as I noticed they dropped the price with the nylon sheath option. Figured I'd use it as an opportunity to learn to work with kydex, and I'm pretty content with how my first sheath came out.

Been hemming and hawing about one and finally ordered one.
Let us know what you think! I've only taken it on a few hikes and 4x4 outings so far, but I plan on putting it through its paces on a backpacking trip in a few weeks.

Its probably going to be the belt rider I guess when using the bigger blades for trail tramping.

Hmm that's tough. The handle is wide, and its shape coerces you into a grip that is suited for cutting and carving, almost like the knife wants your thumb on the spine (at least for my hands). This isn't a con for me, but I do know that other users like a substantial palm swell to hold it like a hammer for chopping. I don't imagine much chopping for this ~5" blade though.

Not much of a complaint, it's moreso that I'm not able to come up with any substantial flaw. I guess some people worry about stabbing things and having their fingers slide onto the blade, yet that's why I like this knife- no choil or guard in the way. All edge.
Is there anything more useless than a choil? Especially on midsize to small knives. Large knives, I can see the designer making a choil, but small to midsize knives don't need choils. That's a real good-looking knife. Should be a very useful, all-rounder. Drop down edge, going all the way to the handle, is a classic old-time design. Eliminates the need for choils, guards. And lets you use the strongest part of the blade (near the handle) for anything that requires more forceful cutting.

Yes, I bought the knife as soon as I noticed they dropped the price with the nylon sheath option. Figured I'd use it as an opportunity to learn to work with kydex, and I'm pretty content with how my first sheath came out.

Let us know what you think! I've only taken it on a few hikes and 4x4 outings so far, but I plan on putting it through its paces on a backpacking trip in a few weeks.

It looks like a great first try on a kydex, I haven’t tried myself yet

Got it.

I would of been underwhelmed not knowing the D2 steel and great G-10 handles. At first I felt some thing was "off" with the knife, then I washed it off with some rubbing alcohol and it cleaned up what ever oil or stuff was on it the blade finish was nice and clean feeling then and so was the handle.

Looks like its going to be a good belt rider and go good with knife combos I use.

Got it.

I would of been underwhelmed not knowing the D2 steel and great G-10 handles. At first I felt some thing was "off" with the knife, then I washed it off with some rubbing alcohol and it cleaned up what ever oil or stuff was on it the blade finish was nice and clean feeling then and so was the handle.

Looks like its going to be a good belt rider and go good with knife combos I use.

I bought a us made leather sheath for it for $10, I didn’t have much confidence in the sheath it comes with, retention wise. Especially when your cutting your way through thick brush.(and any knives not in hand tend to get snagged by the elves or sprites of the forest)The kydex they originally had with the knife was the quietist kydex sheath I’ve ever removed a knife from, must have used stealth technology! plus it was so easy to conceal, I asked an older beat cop if he could spot where my knife was an he couldn’t tell! N I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts!
If you’re underwhelmed with the knife, get someone to stitch you a leather sheath for it that you can dye black and fit the knife to. It will really bring out the knife’s qualities, which those throwaways they come with now don’t do at all!

Last edited:
This short middling knife is nice and slicey, great to hold, and is pretty dang nice to use. Its underwhelming sheath is pretty okish also as its pretty slim to wear. The sale price I got this at just sang I had to get it at the time, and glad I did!

Its a great up grade for my Strongarm belt rider. I still keep a spare strongarm in the pack and car and water borne uses. But the Cerberus is a great all round short middling blade.

Thanks to all the people who helped make it! It may of not got to government issue, but with OKC selling it to the public, EVERY ONE now has a chance to get one!

Well...saw sale still going on so did a literal last back order order to lock in the sale order price on the order I ordered. Of another Cerberus that is. Its a great middling fixed blade that I figured I better get two at such a great price.

Mind you this is the nylon sheath one with out that spread all over the place kydex one. The Underwhelming sheath that seems to be decently slim enough, that holds the great slicer and dicer and can do morer stuff it seems when needed.

I'll still use my strong arms but mostly for what I use them for now, I carry a Cerberus or Strongarm on the belt and the other in the pack, or vice versa. But for nicer finer cutting the Cerberus is better. To many people I go out with always for get a knives I find so I can loan out the strongarms (nice light pack/camp knife) and keep the Cerberus for myself because its bester.

With the Cerberus OKC made a knife that made me stop looking at RAT 5s, and 3s, and TACs. Well unless they made more 154cm TAC 1s again. With the RAKs and TFIs I got most of the middling game covered with the CERBERUS. I like having a primary and spare is the reason I get things in sets of 2 if I like them.

Last edited:
Sneaky Back Order! Here I thought that I had to wait till 7-17 for one when I guess what delivery they did get got sent out to Back Orderers!

I got my 2nd Cerberus! Thanks to that sale I just had to jump on it and risk a long back order wait!

Cerberus = Great Middling Sized All Purpose Knife.

Back