CFK Knife update and company history

Hmm? Haha! Well I will add my 2 cents worth here. I purchase many custom knives. I started years ago with Randall and 1 Lile . And more recently Jim Behring and Martin of Texas. All superb makers imo.

That set asside I have also ordered several IPAK / CFK knives from ebay. My very first was a few years ago. It is a very large size Tracker type knife. I recieved it and found a few issues. Main issue was the saw portion as CFK / Ipak like to ground them flat. I sent a ebay message to the seller explaining their saws are worthless. I myself just redesigned the teeth by grinding them down in such a way that the cutting edge did the job and the back of each tooth was much lower than the cutting edge.

I won't get into a debate about origin of the blades or otherwise. I understand the UK shipping and their VAT now at around 17.5 and so on. I have been around the world a few times.

And Italian leather which also has some pretty interesting prices plus the steel and all.. Add in the craftsmanship / blade smiths and so on ... Well? I think we all agree there.

Now there is a (but!?) to this review. Here it is in a nutshell. They sell extremely well built knives. Now are they true customs ? No , not in my very honest opinion. I will explain why. No custom knife maker will make 400 knives a month. Heck I wait up to a year for some custom knives. And another bit of info to add. Take Jim Behring / Treeman. He makes very limited runs and will NOT reproduce them once he ends production. This makes sense to me. Keeps his knives at a stable collectable status. Pretty typical for most custom knife shops.

All this being said I have beaten the heck out of several CFK / Ipak knives. The first being the larger (tracker type) design but at around 11 inches so it chops well! Holds a edge and other then the redesigned saw back have had 0 issues..

I do not like their sheaths. Not a huge fan of their damascus either. I have a regular sized (tracker type) in damascus (although once cut through a wall on fire during training). As for steels? I can not say if it's D2 or stainless (which mine stained with blood) so I highly doubt it's stainless steel.

Their warranties are okay I suppose? Never had to replace one so I just do not know. Also I am NOT convinced one of the guys they work with from time to time makes great Kydex as I saw one of his sheaths yesterday. I hated it. And kydex is so easy to work with. Leave that story for another time.

So you doubters.. Send me one of your knives for the same price of one of CFK'S. I am most certainly outside of CFK'S reach. They do NOT pay me to endorse their knives. So no bull$#!+! I will pay for your knife and I will on video put it up against a CFK and see what happens.

Many seem angry over the wrong ideas. If you read you will see the ones adding their fair and rightful remarks about CFK. If ya'all want to complain then lock out other readers and posters.

Many argue valid points . Yes they need to be more transparent. All the custom makers I deal with are and will answer questions.

Their knives hold up well and they are affordable. So haters are going to hate. This guy could care less what you think of me. Haha! So you folks buying them enjoy! The ones who dont.. Your loss and more for me.
And that's how I feel.

One last little detail .. About copyright and trademarks. Well How many Randalls have been copied. Or Lile or Loveless. Come on people! Now they have responded and respected other knife makers who have issues with use of TM names.

I support custom knife makers believe me. And I use CFK knives when I am outdoors. I am not taking a side between the two. Custom knife makers work very hard to create their knives. And I will always love a true custom .Sir Newt Martin can make me knives all day long and Sir Jim Behring I have fallen in love. No lust! Can I say lust? Haha with his fine blades. Randalls I hug and keep close. But now all my outdoor knives are CFK'S.

So once again steel... No idea? I am a consumer not an authority of steels. Leather sheaths. Meh I don't care for CFK'S leather but prefer their leather over that other guys kydex that's for sure. And these are my sole responses and opinion.

The rest I now leave to you fine folks to either complain about or comment on. In the meantime they have sold close to 80,000 knives I believe by looking at their feedbacks. So while you talk they are selling knives. And so you all know all their knives come from one address.

Btw a Mod here can check my location out. I am not even in the same state. And I am most certainly a professional. And those of you who know who I am .. You know what I do for a living... ;-)

Ditch, Jason Black or Jason Baker, depending on what day it is, is a good con man.

The knives are from Asia. A picture of one lying on the workbench in Pakistan was posted here.

He gets tangled up because the stuff he put on the Net years ago does not go away to clear a path for his new stories.

For example, he has posted many times that his company started in 2005.

He shows up on websites to review his own products and, guess what?, he gives himself good reviews: "best." "I broker deals with custom knife makers, one in particular, who uses German steel and hand finishes the Knives here in the USA. I have been selling knives for eight years. I have sold over 100,000 knives on the Internet & in shows, since that time. I'm an excellent negotiator & I have the best quality product on the planet."

His "factory" which he claims has made over 20,000 knives is a small house on a quiet residential street in Beaverton. Do a Google Earth for 18815 SW Alderwood Beaverton.

In addition to various iterations of "CFK" [Custom Forged Knives], he also does business as Fishcreek Cutlery and IPak.

He claims blades forged of steels that are not forged or forgeable.

He lists in local Yellow Pages databases as if he is local to all those cities.

Many, or most, of his "new" knives are sold with this language: "There are very minor dings on the blade edge and a surface blemish on the pommel, SEE PHOTOS. Other than that, the knife is new and safe to use." If I had a factory selling "new" knives might I have one of my grinders take out "dings" so I would get full price? He has no factory and the language reflects the condition in which the blades arrive from Asia,

Once he slipped and listed one of his Fishcreek USA knives as "Country of Manufacture: Taiwan, Province of China." So hard, poor dear, to keep all the balls in the air.

Then there's, the Indian "Artist"and medicine man who supposedly makes Jason's Buck Yellowhorse rip-offs, Michial "Greywolf" Garvin. That's a whole story in itself.

If you doubt the forum consensus, I would be happy to give chapter and verse.
I have never seen that picture of a CFK on a Asian bench. . Doesn't mean it never happened but there could be many explanations for that.
You all here seem like good people here . But CFK complaints seem to be shrinking rather fast. So if anyone is going to complain it would be on ebay. CFK sells a lot and have a very positive rating. So do a few of you all outweigh the thousands who disagree? Obviously not which kinds puts you into a rather light position.

Want to know why? Probably not so I will verse you a bit here... People are extremely satisfied with his or their knives. Why is this? Because most of us don't know steels and all the other stuff you are mentioning or even where they are made.. No they are using these knives in their surroundings. I have used mine as far north as Alaska and as far south as Australia. My knife never gave up and called it quits. And it's still going years later.

Your point is moot. 80,000 sales combined between CFK and CFK sample knives. And with well over a 99% positive rating. That speaks much louder than words and that many positive feedback on their knives is impressive by anyone's standards.

Opinions eh?

You come to a blade forum that CFK calls a nest of terrorists and your first post is to tell us we are wrong. :D

Have you noticed that most of the knives sold on eBay are from CHINA?

Have you noticed that the beef with CFK is that they lie about where CFK (and all the other brands sold by the same bunch wholesale and retail) knives come from?

Do you have anything relevant to contribute?

You folks are not terrorist. And did you notice I also said I do not know where they are made either? Heck I clearly said this. And blade forums is open to all who wish to register and comment. And I have a relevant reply. I most likely do not know all the history between you folks and CFK. I am not sure where you get Chinese made blades from? I never saw the picture you all were speaking of ? But how do I know the background of the picture that was shown?

What I was trying to say is their knives hold up very well. So many knife companies have gone to China or Pakistan to make their knives. Some of them are well known brands and they sell them for next to nothing or for ridiculously high prices .

And as for custom knives like I already stated I do treasure and I respect their creations whole heartedly.

Many people purchase knives made by cheaper labor..What most consumers want are the best built knife they can find with designs they love . It's rather simple. And furthermore whether they believe you all to be terrorists or not they sell alot of knives to extremely happy customers . And not all their customers were buying the knives because they love the brand. They purchased them for rather the opposite so they could take a look at them and have a solid foundation to complain. But instead they were surprised that the knives were very well made.

CFK makes mistakes and I have seen a few rather poorly ground knives. Heck I own one. But CFK allows you time to inspect and return them if you wish. So they at least provide that service to customers.

If they actually called you all terrorist for stating your opinions then by all means I am not supporting them in that fight. Most true custom knife makers keep any criticism to themselves and just make it right for their customers. But usually true custom knife makers don't get complaints and they stand behind what they sell because they know the work they put into their knives. Quality speaks for itself so they have no need to belittle or fight back online .

I also wish to convey a message to outside readers that CFK no matter where they are made produce very solid knives for the price they sell them for. And if you find issues with a knife or something silly like a handle falls off they replace them as long as they were not sold as seconds. And even the seconds you get a two day viewing to either keep or send back..

Now let's discuss copies of custom made knives. I buy Martin of Texas knives and both Ed and Newt have done brilliant work for me. One of my favorites is their Apparo . I see Boker has copied it but I am sure under license. Yes I see many knives are copying famous designs. They change just enough to stay out of the reach of copyright and trademarks. Do I feel this is good buisness? No as a matter of fact I hate it. Busse knives are being copied heavily due to the walking dead. Which sucks... I feel for true custom knife makers and I support them. I own a David R Beck WSK (love it) and right before I purchased a Tops TB tracker and hated it.. Go figure.
I am not against the folks here but rather just adding another point of view.. So don't take it as aggressive. It's just my opinion.

And now I see Wal Mart is selling CFK.

We all or at least most of us have paid for knives that are made over seas. I paid close to $300.00 for a Muela Magnum 26 and I love it! It's pretty hard in today's world to avoid knives built over seas.

I understand you all may or do have issues with CFK. I know how to cut through the BS and decide for myself . My first CFK was the Ipak Yeti I spoke of. And I was expecting a crappy knife due to all the reviews over the web. But even many of those web sites have changed their views on CFK due to members and their reviews. Someone else I know was very skeptical about CFK. Now he is a supporter of CFK knives.

As consumers we choose what we wish to purchase and sometimes they are bad choices. CFK for 35.00 to 100.00 is not bad at all for a very usable knife. Although I keep my purchases south of 100.00 myself. I prefer the 35.00 to 65.00 range. When they hit 100 plus I loose interest. Not because of quality but more so due to custom knife makers selling theirs for 275.00 to a couple of thousand. I am currently winning a bid on a 80's Randall. And it's going to cost me around the 600.00 mark I am sure. So like I said I have a soft spot for true customs. But I can purchase a CFK for use and abuse. I have never broke one. I have put at least 2 of them through pure hell! And they are still going. And I am not talking about some cheesy youtube videos feathering or being pounced through for kindling . I mean real abuse.

What am I contributing to this site? Another point of view. Plus I am here to find new custom knife makers that I am unfamiliar with. I am always looking for different customs.

And I have extremely good taste when it comes to quality and precision. While some wear G shocks daily I wear a Breitling or a Rolex daily. And money is not really a issues. So I came down out of the clouds to try a CFK and I do NOT regret it.

Oh and I never back down.. ;-)

I read your reviews and did try to weed through this mess of emotions and I am here to hand you all a tissue and tell ya to man up. Haha.

But mainly people searching the web for honest reviews can now read these remarks.

So you folks wondering if CFK'S are worth a look!? Take it from me YES yes and of course hell ya! And judging from their 80,000 plus sales on Ebay alone not to mention Amazon.com and Wal Mart plus Etsy ...
So listen to the masses or listen to a few that are so hung up on where they are actually produced. Your choice...

You come to a blade forum that CFK calls a nest of terrorists and your first post is to tell us we are wrong. :D

Do you have anything relevant to contribute?

Me thinks there might be a shill in our midst. This same CFK cheerleading has started to show up on other forums as well, all from either a brand new account or one that has sat dormant for years. Never more than 4-5 posts either, all of which are about... wait for it... CFK. There's a clear pattern.

Me thinks there might be a shill in our midst. This same CFK cheerleading has started to show up on other forums as well, all from either a brand new account or one that has sat dormant for years. Never more than 4-5 posts either, all of which are about... wait for it... CFK. There's a clear pattern.
Wait for it.... Paranoia... How delusional are you?
Sounds a bit like a paranoid response. You actively went out searching for my first replies on a subject that interested me ?
You have issues and that's a bit creepy.

And to my knowledge I have said something about CFK here and on Bushcraft USA. I tore into a review on youtube and belittled Yellowhawk on a CFK review.

The fact is if I don't like something I say it point blank. I hate their sheaths and hate Yellowhawk or what ever as I think he is a total moron. And his reviews seem to be imformercials rather than a solid review. Watching someone feathering or smacking a knife through a dry piece of pine makes me yawn. Reminds me of the old Cold Steel imformercials with a hanging hemp rope.

Or let's not forget Ginsu knife commercials.

Did you look at the other forums such as Cabelas, Ruger, The high road, Sig Sauer, HK pro, Smith & Wesson , XD talk, shall I go on? None of those sites where I have been a long standing member have I ever discussed CFK.

Ask a mod or administrative member to check my IP address. That should subdue any doubters. And you are right I have brought up CFK on many forums. I simply looked up CFK reviews because I was trying to find info on them. So yes they are my first replies on different forums.

Last edited:
Heck I am currently after both a Robert Parrish and a Randall model 18 atm. If you wish to only speak of known customs then I am all for it.
If you have suggestions about different knife makers who make the style of knife I love (mainly survival knives) then by all means please relay the information.
Giving a honest opinion is just that.

I am unaware of these Chinese knives? Please support this with something substantial. And yes I have seem similar blades from Asia. But they are no where as well built.

Down Under Knives are built by cheap labor and sold for hundreds. And I never said that some of your concerns with CFK was out of line. Just relayed information on my dealings with them and how I was surprised in a good way when I received the first one from them.

CFK knives are durable. They maintain an edge well enough and are corrosion resistant as long as get a light coating of CLP (such as Breakfree). They do have some down sides users should be aware of.

First, the knives are heavy. CFK doesn't skimp on its steel, although it might wish to start. The knives are thick and they won't break, but hauling them around can be burdensome. Two, some of their sheaths are less than practical. If inverted, the knives will fall out, which can have unpredictable results, and other sheaths don't hold up. One of mine had some rivets come out and now my sheath is hanging by one rivet. Also, the edges on the knives are sometimes less than perfectly ground. I have a double edged knife that is beautifully polished, but putting a sharp edge on the top part of the knife was difficult as it was rough on both sides.

Sharpening the knife can be a bit time consuming, which is consistent with the company's claims that the blades are comprised of hard D2 steel. Once the blade is sharp, however, it tends to remain that way. I was thinking of sticking one of the knives into the ground for a few days to see if it would stain or rust, but if it did I didn't know if I could get the blade back to normal.

In short, I agree that paying more than $80 would be excessive; however, the long knives are more swords than knives, and the ones I've bought are exceptional. Some have the best attributes of knives and machetes, and these are some of my favorite purchases. Why? Because no one else makes them or anything like them. Balance is excellent, weight is exceptional and the long knives don't fall out of the sheaths. If you have a need for such, CFK really delivers.

If you need standard knives, you can probably do better with Ka-Bar or some other (lighter) knife. But if you need an unbreakable, solid knife that keeps an edge and is easy on the eyes, you can pretty much tell by looking if it's for you.

I haven't read any negative reviews of CFK. I don't have much use for small, heavy knives, but I love their longer knives.

I recently brought in a couple of CFK D2 knives. Both are dagger style and I'm happy w/both of them. Robust builds. Thick steel. Yes, the knives are heavy. They take/keep a good edge. Good value for the price paid. Equally important is I got exactly what I expected based upon the ebay listings.

After owning/carrying them for a few months I have nothing to complain about. My experience with CFK has been positive in all aspects.

I'm new on this forum.
I don't think I'm being a cheerleader for this brand.

I'm not a cork sniffer.
I appreciate good value for the money spent.
Based upon my experience CFK delivers on that basis.

Since I'm already irritating some long time forum regulars.....

I also brought in two different style TwoSun NightMorning designed titanium frame lock flippers.
I'm perfectly satisfied w/them.

I liked the TS27 so much I brought in a few more to have engraved to give away as gifts. Myself and a group of long time friends are meeting at the house in Florida and will be going to the Daytona 500. We got the all access pit passes this year. It's going to be a terrific good time. Each of us values taking (daily) personal responsibility for our own safety. I'm sure they will appreciate receiving the gift as much as I enjoy giving it.

....I know...the sacrilege!

IMHO
...spend the $.02 where ever cash is still accepted.

Last edited:
So you expressly intended to stir up a dispute?

Sorry, too busy with life to bother.

You bought from liars and made out -- by your standards based on what you know. Congrats. Others have not. Further, without greater participation in the community, what weight should one give to your opinion or your report?

Somebody buys every knife sold.

Last edited:
I recently brought in a couple of CFK D2 knives. Both are dagger style and I'm happy w/both of them. Robust builds. Thick steel. Yes, the knives are heavy. They take/keep a good edge. Good value for the price paid. Equally important is I got exactly what I expected based upon the ebay listings.

After owning/carrying them for a few months I have nothing to complain about. My experience with CFK has been positive in all aspects.

I'm new on this forum.
I don't think I'm being a cheerleader for this brand.

I'm not a cork sniffer.
I appreciate good value for the money spent.
Based upon my experience CFK delivers on that basis.

Since I'm already irritating some long time forum regulars.....

I also brought in two different style TwoSun NightMorning designed titanium frame lock flippers.
I'm perfectly satisfied w/them.

I liked the TS27 so much I brought in a few more to have engraved to give away as gifts. Myself and a group of long time friends are meeting at the house in Florida and will be going to the Daytona 500. We got the all access pit passes this year. It's going to be a terrific good time. Each of us values taking (daily) personal responsibility for our own safety. I'm sure they will appreciate receiving the gift as much as I enjoy giving it.

....I know...the sacrilege!

IMHO
...spend the $.02 where ever cash is still accepted.
:) Welcome ! CFK is OK in my book but not beloved here on BF and there is some justice to that if you happen to care where the product comes from and the materials used . :rolleyes:

I bought several CFK knives on fleabay, just so I would know first hand what they were/weren't, and from my perspective they serve a distinct purpose. They aren't the type of product I wish to own however, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't find them useful.

Think Becker BK2; unnecessarily thick - and as a result rather clumsy - but depending upon what you do in the outdoors that may be exactly what you want/need. I'm more of a BK16 fan myself though, so I tend to gravitate towards refined and less unwieldy blades.

If nothing else, give CFK credit for being unafraid to explore different designs. I like that part. I don't regret buying those knives, because I want to know what something is like, but I don't see myself ordering any more. They didn't suit my needs. Others may feel differently though.

And made of? RC? That's right, we rely on the seller or, if the seller is a conduit, the integrity of the maker.

If you want some I am selling mine.

I bought some of these and here is what I have left. Opinions vary on these. Mine is that I don't care for the business model or story behind the knives. I think they are made in Pakistan, so I will list them that way. The ones I am using (one in the garage, one outside for chopping branches work fine).

I think I got the best examples of the "brand" as far as I can tell they went off the rails with the designs after these.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...pak-knives-but-good-looking-examples.1601958/

Last edited:
If you want some I am selling mine.

I bought some of these and here is what I have left. Opinions vary on these. Mine is that I don't care for the business model or story behind the knives. I think they are made in Pakistan, so I will list them that way. The ones I am using (one in the garage, one outside for chopping branches work fine).

I think I got the best examples of the "brand" as far as I can tell they went off the rails with the designs after these.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...pak-knives-but-good-looking-examples.1601958/
Just my 2 cents worth. I have been doing gun and knife shows for the past dozen or so years, and over the past 40 years have bought and sold close to 5,ooo knives. CFK has consistently had the best fit, and finish for the money, of any knifemaker I have seen. I dont make a nickel for endorsing anybody, so I dont have a dog in this fight. The balance is great, the handles hold up great, the blades do what they should, and for the money, I think an excellent knife. Every single person that I have sold one to, has been well pleased, with MANY repeat customers. I couldnt(and neither could you) make a knife, for what I can buy theirs for.

Lol, that's gonna be a No from me, dog. Has Last Ditch (the OP) returned? Random new shill? The suspense is killing me...:rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents worth. I have been doing gun and knife shows for the past dozen or so years, and over the past 40 years have bought and sold close to 5,ooo knives. CFK has consistently had the best fit, and finish for the money, of any knifemaker I have seen. I dont make a nickel for endorsing anybody, so I dont have a dog in this fight. The balance is great, the handles hold up great, the blades do what they should, and for the money, I think an excellent knife. Every single person that I have sold one to, has been well pleased, with MANY repeat customers. I couldnt(and neither could you) make a knife, for what I can buy theirs for.

Worth about $.02, as he says - or less.

Not custom. Made in a secret place by secret people in nations that shift depending on the story. Praised as not merely good, but the best value, by a secret poster in his first post, who says he's a seller of CFK knives (which claims it has no dealers and only sells via eBay - which may even be true for some periods of time) :rolleyes: Odds he's a shill? Overwhelming.

Pocket "dont (sic) have a dog in this fight" but has come here to set all of us here on BF of how great CFK knives while he has been profiting off of them at gun shows or gas stations or wherever he has been selling them.

Sounds to me like Pocket has a conflict of interest of his representation of CFK knives. Perhaps he should be classified as a dealer and purchase the proper paid membership to be promoting CFK knives? Just a thought?

Back