Chainpuri questions!

I am sure that a lot of you guys look at the length and weight ratio on the DOTD as much as what type of Kukuri Auntie is selling. Yesterday she put up a 17 inch 23 ounce Chainpuri by Purna and I jumped on it. My collection/addiction goes from 17oz to 34 oz and 15" OAL to 18". This Chainpuri fits nicely into a gap right in the center so I am very excited to get it, however I really don't know much about this model. So folks, do you mind letting me in on the history/uses of this type of blade?

As with all hand made blades, there is some variation from one Chainpuri to another, even at the same length. In general, the Chainpuri is functionally similar to the Sirupati and Chitlangi, with some cosmetic differences in the handle and fullers.

I believe this design originated in parts of Nepal where people have to deal mostly with brush and slim trees; thus, the Chainpuri is not a heavy chopper but is well suited for just about everything else, including self defense or martial arts.

Chainpur is a town or province (I'm not sure which) in Nepal that is well known for excellent blademakers and for this particular design. It is the only place, as far as I know, where HI often buys Chainpuri knives to sell here. They are selected to ensure quality and Yangdu always describes them as such. A blade from Chainpur does not have a kami mark or initials, unlike HI-made blades that identify the maker. HI kamis also make this model, such as the one you just got by Purna.

As far as cosmetics are concerned the Sirupati is probably the simplest and the Chitlangi the most elaborate, with the Chainpuri in the middle.

I don't have any of the three but they seem outstanding and I'd get after them! In my heart my Gelbu Special is sort of like a Sirupati, at least that is what I tell myself.

I think the Gelbu Special is a little more robust than the other three, with an edge geometry that can handle heavy chopping as well as everything else. Maybe the closest thing to an all-purpose blade, although the M43 and WWII models are also pretty much all-purpose.

Gelbu Special is a bit more chopping oriented than say...a Sirupati or Chitlangi with their more acute edges. Listen very carefully now fellas;). GS has an Ang Khola edge but takes advantage of speed rather than mass to take the same cut. For acceleration you need length right? A 21" GS is a thing of beauty! Force=Mass*Acceleration no matter how you slice it. In other words: Chopping Destruction (CD)=Ang Khola(AK)*Gelbu Special(GS) (CD=AK*GS). Direct mass/accel relationship ya know. Therefore: It can be stated that if you cant get that Gelbu moving fast enuff to cut or you cant handle the weight of the AK then there's no difference. Sirupati and Chitlangi have thinner edges than AK*GS therefore Siru*Chit<AK*GS but only for heavy chopping..Uhhhhh..Im gonna have to finish this later. I forgot my formulas temporarily;) OK to answer yalls question..Uh..What was the question?

Back